Hi everyone,

I am 32 years old and have started developing lines under my eyes. I suppose that was only to be expected, but I was literally wrinkle-free two years back, and then lines started appearing as soon as I reached 30. I know that sounds stupid, but I swear it is true and not in my mind. 

I'm a low key kind of person. I use a good moisturizer (not expensive) and a facial cleanser. That's all. I wear makeup only rarely. I don't really enjoy girly things. My question now is whether I need a special under eye hydration cream to perhaps minimize those lines somewhat. 

If you think I do, can you recommend a good one that is hopefully not too expensive?

Thanks!

Charlie

Celebrity

Yes, you should definitely consider using an eye cream. Eye creams are not, like some people think, just like regular moisturizers in a smaller container! Eye creams are specifically formulated to target the problems the area of skin under your eyes encounter. Squinting, laughing, and similar eye movements all contribute to early signs of aging in this particular area. In addition, your skin is thinner there and less oily.

Eye creams help make up for all of that. Puffiness, lines, dark circles and dryness can all be addressed with eye creams. Of course once you have wrinkles, nothing is going to stop them forever, but you can at least age gracefully if you make sure you don't have the puffiness and dark circles so many people deal with!

If you want something with a lot of oomph to it, I would recommend RoC Retinol Correxion Sensitive Eye Cream, which has retinol.

Well, I do know that in the olden days, like in the 60s, models used to put hemorrhoid cream under their eyes to get rid of their bags. And after quite a bit of experience with these creams, it turned it that it wasn't such a good idea in the long term because it did damage to the skin. I am not quite sure why, but it wasn't good. However one of my friends is a beautician and she always tries stuff on herself first before she recommends it to anyone else and she actually does use eye cream. It really helps her. She is in her late 60s and she looks like she is in her mid 50s. So the eye cream must doing her some good then. I don't personally use any because my skin looks fine without, but if I had bags, I would try it. Sure, why not?

Celebrity

Yes, you would benefit from a special eye hydration cream. People have already said this, so I am not sure what else to add, really, but I thought I would mention that although I mostly rely on natural skincare products at the moment, I do still use an eye cream commercially made. That is because I love what it does for the feel as well as look of my eyes. I really do feel that it helps me look awake in the morning right away, and that it keeps things tight and smooth around the eyes :).. If you have never tried an eye cream before, why not get one and judge for yourself?

Rosie

Health Advisor

Yes! You do need a special eye cream. It doesn't matter very much whether it is expensive or cheap, but eye creams are made for your eyes, and they're there to help you with puffiness, dark circles, discoloration, and in the end also lines. I've been using a cheap one from Nivea lately and yeah, I have to say that it makes my eyes look and feel better than when I wasn't using an eye cream. I forget on some days and then I notice I look more tired. I am definitely sticking with this in the long term and I think you should consider it too.

You are asking two different questions right here!

1. What can I do to get rid of the lines under my eyes?
2. Do I need special under-eye hydration?

To answer the first question, the answer is that nothing will completely reverse nor prevent lines. The eyes get wrinkles faster not just because the skin is more sensitive, but also because no matter how physically inactive we are, we all use our eyes. You're going to be blinking, squinting, smiling, laughing, and frowning. All that takes its toll on your skin. If you want to get rid of the lines under your eyes, eye creams are not the magic solution — nothing is, but botox probably comes closest.

Do you need an eye cream? No. Nobody does. People do without. There are studies that show that any kind of moisturizing helps reduce (reduce, not eliminate!) lines, but of course eye creams are formulated to attract more moisture and that can really help. You can get eye creams for quite cheap and they are really easy to find, so the question I would be asking is — why wouldn't you use an eye cream?

You also asked for recommendations, so perhaps start looking here:

- Olay Regenerist Anti-Aging Eye Roller.
- Clarins Super Restorative Total Eye Concentrate
- Benefit It's Potent eye cream
- Shiseido Future Solution LX eye and lip contour regenerating cream

Celebrity
That brings up another point, actually: what's the single thing that does the most damage to that sensitive intraorbital region around the eyes? It's the sun's rays. They lead to discoloration and wrinkles both. We were just discussing the potential of sunscreen to cause burning and irritation around the eyes on another thread, so that is an issue for some people, however, besides using an eye cream, strictly sticking to a routine of using sun protection every day, yes, even in winter, goes a very long way toward keeping those eyes line and discoloration free.

How about trying some of these eye creams?

1. Patricia Wexler MD Dermatology Intensive 3-in-1 eye cream. Lifts, firms, and reduces wrinkles. This one contains peptides.
2. Olay Regenerist eye regenerating cream + touch of concealer. Does two things in one. Pretty awesome!
3. Clarins Sun Wrinkle Control Eye Contour Care. Of course sun damage is one of the biggest threats to your skin, so this will really help. SPF 30.
4. Chanel Ultra Correction Lift Total Eye Lift. Expensive, but worth it.

Now all you have to do is choose!

I got the Paula's Choice Resist Anti-Aging Eye Cream recently. It has peptides and other skin identical ingredients and it has been working well for me. I have combo skin generally, but normal skin around the eye area, and liked the fact that this cream is designed for all skin types. I have noticed a reduction in the fine lines around my eyes already and that is what I was really hoping for. I'm not saying that you have to get that same cream but yes, eye creams can make a very big difference.

Health Advisor

I actually came across an article that discussed why eye creams are important and thought I would share what it said. Besides everything that was already discussed here, like fighting puffy and baggy eyes, discolouration of the eyes, and dark tired looking circles, it said that when you use eye cream, your concealer lasts so much longer and so you look better even with a full face of makeup. It also said to store eye creams in the fridge which I don't do yet but I'll do it now, to take care to throw them away after six months, and to keep them fragrance free so you don't irritate your eyes.

I have been using anti-wrinkle eye creams for well over 10 years now but I remember, when I first started using these eye creams, that I did notice a big improvement to my lines quite quickly. Other people too paid me compliments. Now, it just became a normal part of my routine, but I do look for better creams that are designed to say no to wrinkles. Does it turn back time? No, but it does slow time down and I think I look younger with the eye creams than I would ever look without.

It is true that some eye creams can help you prevent or reduce wrinkles, but not all eye creams are created equal. It all depends on the formulation of your eye cream. What you need to do if you want the best result is look for an eye cream that contains Matrixyl. This ingredient is proven to work to reduce and prevent wrinkles in a very powerful way. It is available within many brands, even high street brands. It is likely that you will notice fewer wrinkles around your eyes even within a couple of weeks if you use an eye cream with Matrixyl.