I was exposed to a high concentration of sulfuric acid mist in Oct. 1998.The treating lung specialist said I may have long term problems from it and had scarring that was nearly invisible on x-ray at the time. However, he wrote on the medical report to worker's comp. that it was acute and had cleared up completely. My symptoms were cleared up and i did feel fine then.
Since though I have had repeated and worsening breathing problems including asthma, which was present at time of exposure but hadn't bothered me since childhood, chronic bronchitis, and repeated pneumonia. I ave had a variety of diagnoses including all of the above and pneumonitis. I also (foolishly I know) smoke, have been so far unable to quit completely for any length of time.
Following a week stay in the hospital in the pulmonary unit on oxygen etc., for respitory distress with complications from pneumonitis..later changed to pneumonia (?) ..though i found pneumonitis and pneumonia are interchangeable terms i guess. I have filed to reopen claim due to worsening condition, sent forms to every doctor i have seen for respitory probles for the past ten years , and was denied.
Since i have asthma (and smoke) it is difficult to clearly prove , but i did not have these problems, anywhere near this bad, prior to this exposure, though i have had bronchitis and pneumonia before, and do have allergies as well. Any suggestions as to how to prove this ?I am filing an appeal as i am convinced that this is chronic pneumonitis.
By the way the claim reopening will only cover medical expenses ,the original doctor has since retired and his partner destroyed all his old records, and I need proper treatment .

Hi
I just saw your post. I suffer (we think) from something simlar, however, mine has become chronic, as has yours, apparently.
Can you go back to see the Lung Specialist?
I am looking for a Doctor specializing in MCS. Did find one here in Florida, however, he says I am too sick for him!!!! He wants me to try National Jewish Lung...I have a phone call in. Was wondering if you had reached out to them and if so, do they have a Chemical specialist?
Let me know what steps you have taken, if any, and perhaps we can help each other. I am onmy death bed and am scared to death. Hope to hear from you, Kim

Sorry , i just now found your reply , i had forgotten where i posted this (had comp problems and lost alot of info). No I haven't tried them , but I think I too will check it out. The specialist I originally went to is retired and his partner threw out all records as soon as legally acceptable in that state. I have no coverage to go to a specialist at any rate at the moment. I am presently working with the local community health office for my treatment, they have been alot of help in getting me med.s and have actually listened to me . They sent for all my medical records that we can find and have diagnosed me as chronic chemical pneumonitis, treating me for that instead of blaming asthma etc (they are also contributory and i am being treated for them as well-though minor by comparison). When they get the records I may or may not get more testing , depending upon funding probably, as I am unable to pay for the tests that may help "prove" that my condition is caused by a work injury. So basically it is looking more hopeful that I may not be more bankrupted by this in the future though all i will get is medical treatment paid for, still doesn't help with severely limited job and activity choices but still will bea huge help. I also feel much better with appropriate treatment and severe flare ups have been drastically reduced. Prior to finding a medical provider that was willing to look at the whole picture and not look for an easy treatment (partially due to most dr.s not really being too familiar with this, in actual experience I think)of a common problem like asthma and allergies: I had many doctors just try a quick fix and send me away as well saying they couldn't help me , and was referred to a specialist by one .I went to that specialist ,he asked why i was there, "what made me think i should be there?" having just been treated at a hospital with prednisone etc.Finally, he did reluctantly do an exertion test where i walked up and down a hall and they checked my o2 level and listened for wheezing . no current x-ray, no records , no other tests. He said i I had asthma and didn't think there was anything else wrong with me at all, gave me a advair sample and told me to go to a regular doctor. Well I was hauled to the hospital on oxygen , near death , within a month. Where i spent a week in the respiratory icu with pneumonia (again).having now researched advair, I realize he didn't even consider what I and the hospital had told him and i feel was not competent at all.He seemed to think I was after some big workers comp settlement as a scam apparently.It was long enough ago I do not have any chance of more than medical treatment I need to be paid for.As i stands now, his attitude cost me months of being unable to work and nearly $30,000 in that one hospital stay.Oh and after he put me on advair, a different clinic I had been going to for some time would not treat me with the meds i needed , I was on what they gave me when i collapsed in my home,60 miles from town. Be careful who you see and get more opinions, if need be, I am sure,like me you are familiar enough with your symptoms to know for yourself.