New Reply New Topic Followed by 30 people

Have read all the comments about loss of taste, bitterness in the mouth, no flavour to food etc. after removal of tonsils, and I am going through all this. It is horrible and depressing. I am 6 months post op and feel things are as bad as ever.
Is there anyone out there who has experienced this and can give me some positive hope that things will improve after this length of time?

Ryder,

I had my surgery back in May 10, 2007. I'm a register nurse and I thought, I would receive "VIP" treatment because of belonging to that elite group of medical professionals. Boy was I surprise and wrong!!!
Twenty-one months after the fact, I struggle everyday, still. At one point, I remembered thinking that it would be easier just to give up. But as time continue to move ahead, you learn how to adjust your life and learn how to be thankful for everything, even loss of taste post-tonsillectomy. In my situation. the doctor cut my glossopharygneal nerve plus a blood vessel,and removed half of my soft palate. Everyday, I have the metallic taste which is enough in itself to drive you crazy and still no flavor to food. But, like I said before be thankful. In my situation, the doctor had to take my back to surgery because I start projectile vomiting blood. The doctor found a large blood clot as a result of cutting a blood vessel. The doctor discharge my home later that day to my surprise. Ryder, find out why you aren't tasting your food. 2. What went wrong in your surgery. 3. Seek therapy. 4. Document your feelings. 5. And seek legal advise. I'm still waiting for my taste to return. I'll pray for you.

If you are feeling worse than ever, you really should seek a professional help. It is normal to feel differently, it is normal to feel taste differently or sometimes you won't have a taste at all, those all are the parts of side - effects but it shouldn't last longer than 15 - 20 days. As you are getting better, as the days go by, you should be better and you should recover. Pockets on the side of the throat should vanish as well. I had a metal taste in my mouth, and that is normal. But after 10 days I started to feel normal taste of the food. 

I just had my tonsils removed as well and I have a metal taste in my mouth, has your taste ever returned?

I had surgery on May 27, 2009 for tonsilectomy, adenoid removal, surgery for a deviated septum, and partial shaving of my uvula. I did not eat for 27 days due to pain, but in retrospect, I found that was not the worst side effect. To this day, I cannot taste foods. I must salt my meals excessively as I can taste salt but in large quantities. I do not bother eating sweets (especially chocolate) since I do not have any satisfaction from the flavor. My Dr. says that this was a very "rare" side effect, but as I research blogs, it appears many people have the same issue - loss of taste. I am 3 1/2 months post op and still cannot taste food. I was assured that the nerve that helps process the taste of food was not severed. Luckily I do not have the metallic taste as others have posted, but it is very frustrating not to be able to taste food. How long have people gone and subsequently (hopefully) gotten their taste back after tonsil surgery? Of course the only advice the Dr. can give you is to be patient - what else can one do really?

It has only been 5 weeks since my tonsillectomy but I cannot taste either. i can taste the first few bites and then it goes away. I don't enjoy eating food anymore and want to know if there is hope. Did you ever get your taste back?

Steroids work sometime. Have you ever tried prednisone? It may work but has side effects of puffy face,weight gain, or affect bones.

Hi there, I have been searching the Internet carefully but couldn't find anything on polish websites (I am Polish, 33 and I got my tonsils out 3 weeks ago). It seems there are not many people feeling like that after tonsillectomy. I am probably one of them :-(. I can’t say that I lost my sense of taste totally. I have some kind of disorders. Food doesn’t taste me at all ! The worst are sweet and sore-sweet products, taste like blood …semi- bitter, semi-sweet …awful. I am really frustrated. I suffered a lot after the surgery (much more I could ever imagine) and now I can’t even eat with pleasure.

My doctor has seen me once since the operation and she was really surprised of what I was talking about. Said “ That is a very strange and not common symptom”. She suggested not to panic and wait with patience. I can wait but how long? Anybody can answer the question ?

Cheers for all tonsil-less people!

I am 25 years old and had my tonsils out on march 29 2010. I still cannot taste food. I can taste salt and little bits of flavor on the tip of my tongue but nothing else. I asked my doctor why i cant taste anything and he told me that in his 17 years of doing this type of surgery he has never had anyone lose the taste of food permanently. I asked for a timeline of when i would taste food again and he couldnt give one. I was unable to eat for the first 10 days and ended up getting thrush. I dont know if these things have anything to do wiith it or not. I am also always thirty now and cant quench my thirst no matter how much i drink. ANd last but not least i have a very weird taste in my mouth constantly and dont know how to get rid of it or even describe it. i have tried gum, mints, losenges and everything. I am just looking for maybe some good things to look forward too or people dealing with the same things as me.

:'( i just had my tonsils out on wednesday may 5 i can eat somewhat solid foods but everything including water has this nasty metallic/medication taste no matter how much i gargle or brush my teeth and tongue i will not go away, aqny suggestions??????? ear pain is not that bad right now but it has been i alternate heat and cold pack every hour or two. some one help me what do i do

I don't know about how long it will take for my taste to improve. Seeing the surgeon next week.

I have most of my taste, but I understand the metallic tast those have mentioned.

I have lost a range of sweet taste, not all. I can tast some sweetness, but it is usually drowned out by saltyness.

Chocolate tastes like cocoa.

Coffee tastes bitter and metallic.

It's very frustrating...I love food!

It is 16 days post-op for me, and I thought I'd research the fact that I have little to no taste buds. I see that many others are suffering from this as well, so it cannot be very rare. I took Hydrocodone and the top layer of my tongue sloughed off. I assumed it was a side effect of the drug. My taste buds have yet to return. Also, my swallowing is exaggerated and a little "off", and I'm wondering if this is permanent or will it return to normal. I no longer enjoy food and I too must salt my food to get any flavor. Good luck to all as you deal with this.

i had my tonsils removed 9days ago, i have been through the mill!!i was on such strong pain killers i cant remember the firs 4 days! i have this awful taste in my mouth but my biggest problem is i cant eat properly!!!! as soon as food touches my throat i rech, i iteven kept food down! if i new all this could happen i would never have it done have never felt so down or ill!!! people should be imformed of all the risks before surgery! :-(

I am three weeks post op. My taste is very off, I can taste some sweet things, but everything else hardly has any taste. I am feeling depressed not being able to enjoy food, or diet Coke, my favorite. I feel bad complaining but it really is hard to handle. I used to love going out to eat, now I avoid it because it makes me sad. My pain is nearly gone, an occasional ibuprofan works fine. The pain from day 3 to 10 was quite bad and at that point I did not care if I could eat or taste. I started bleeding on day 10 and went to the ER, fortunately the bleeding stopped and I was able to go home without further surgery. I feel like everyone is really sick of hearing that I can't taste anything, but it is a huge part of life that you don't realize untill it is gone. I would love to hear some good news from anyone who has gotten thier taste back!!

am about 6 monts post surgery. For about the first month I could not even stand to eat AT ALL. I was so upset and depressed. Soup was all I could tolerate. By the end of 2nd month I could at least tolerate most savory food, sweets were still aweful. By the end of about 4 months I was to the point where I still would eat something and know how good it use to taste, but it at least would taste good enough to eat. It is now 6 months and although I still can't taste things to the fullest - I am surviving and not depressed. Chocolate is the worst. But Coke finally tastes good. Some people will say that I am just getting use to how the food tastes now, but that is not true. When I bite into chocolate I know what it is suppose to taste like. Hang in there things WILL get better. I am convinced it will never be 100% but I like pizza, spaghetti, cheesecake, coke and donuts are now starting to taste ok. I will survive. Probably skinnier than I used to be. Also, I have not had a sore throat for 6 months. My whole family got sick with a cold and I never caught it. That never happened before my tonsils were out. I was always sick!!!!! I hope this give some of you hope. I read so many posts when going thru this and never heard results so I vowed to myself to get on here and give you a true result.