I wanted to know if anyone here with Lupus is RH Negative? I have talked to a few people who have Lupus and they all have been RH Negative. I am RH Negative myself and have had some symptoms of Lupus. I had a test done over 6 years ago and the doctor said I was negative for Lupus. I have not been back to see anyone regarding my symptoms and they have somewhat worsened over the years. My Aunt passed away almost 5 years ago on September 29th. She had Lupus and lived with it for a long, long time. She too was RH Negative. I didn't know if being RH Negative could be linked to Lupus. If anyone with Lupus will comment back and let me know whether they may be RH Negative/Positive I would appreciate it!!

I'm the adoptive mom of two children whose birth mother has lupus -- and is also Rh negative. (Their birth grandmother also had an autoimmune disease, though apparently not lupus and not genetic).

In fact, I think being Rh negative must predispose people to autoimmune diseases; a friend of mine is Rh negative and has polycystic kidney disease, another autoimmune disease.

My two brothers and my sister, along with my mom and large number of her family are A- and 0-. Most of them have Lupus and/or many autoimmune problems, but in good health otherwise. We all rarely get a cold or the flu, we seem to rarely get sick. I think our immune system is always in very high gear which protects of from colds and flu, but causes our cells to attack itself. The Rh neg on my mother's side never had cancer. But most are diabetics with high blood pressure and high cholesterol, along with different types of rashes & skin problems.... except for the ones that are full vegetarians, so this is probably due to diet and not Rh neg factor.

Are there any other Rh negative blood types with the same symptoms and problems?

Interesting string. I performed a Google search "rh- in autoimmune disease", because I've been questioning how my Rh- status may affect my overall health. I've been aware of the pregnancy issues for a number of years, but now wonder if it's a factor in my Grave's disease, which is an autoimmune disease. Your comments suggest there very well could be a connection. I'll continue my research and post any additional info I find.

:-D i have to say it is nice to find people who are looking at the same problem. i too have sle. i too are rh-. i have been asking doctors and searching the internet for people who think there may be a link between the two for years now. nice to see. because it does make sense. the same thing is happening in our bodies as it does with a baby hat isnt compatable with our blood type.

christina

Wow, I am Rh- and have had 3 Rh+ children. Recently Diagnosed with Autoimmune Chronic Uticaria. My Mother died from complications of Scleroderma, She has two cousins one with Lupis and One with ALS. Her Grandmother and an aunt also had ALS. My mother had Rh- also.

Guest wrote:

I believe there is a connection between Rh negative and autoimmune, kidney disease. My mother, myself, and my aunt all are rh neg. and have exactly the same things going on in our bodies. The only difference is the degree of severity. Mine is less, my aunts more and my mothers the worst. I am the younges, my aunt follows me by 2 yrs older and my mom is the oldest. Does anyone else out there know anything about the connection? If I can find the connection then maybe there is a cure.

Hi. I don't know if I'm Rh negative, but I have had all the symptoms of lupus for years and am wondering if despite the tests that I do have lupus. My ana came back negative, but I have a lot of health problems. Joint aches, migraines, body aches, no immune system what so ever, and no matter how much or how little I sleep I am always tired and out of energy, just to name a few problems. I also had a few situation where my spleen was very swollen and I had all the symptoms of mono but no positive result. I know that organs can swell with lupus. My mother just tested positive for RA. I also have the lupus anticoagulation factor which may or may not be associated with lupus. It sounds silly, but all my life any tests run on my have come back normal or "within normal range" until the problem get's so bad it gets completely out of control.

I went to a rhemuatologist that was pretty awful. She did run a few tests though. I was biopsied for Shogrins, again, my symptoms fit including dry eyes, dry mouth, tiredness, etc. She diagnosed my with chronic fatigue and fibromylgia and I know these are ligitmate problems, but I feel like she didn't know what was going on and was not the type of doctor to listen to her patient's needs and go beyond a blood test so she just stuck me in a broad category and called it good enough.

I am only 23, and I have never been in the best of health, but I'm really trying to live a healthier life and find ways to get past my problems and enjoy life more. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to have lupus, but I've learned from being misdiagnosed a few times, that it is better to know what the problem is then suffer with no answers. Any insight into this would be very helpful.

I'm also Rh negative and am being tested for RA.
I have a theory on it. It may or may not be "out there" but here it is.
I'm wondering....
As we know, Rh negative is an aggressive blood group. One that does not take kindly to being "mixed" with other types.
Sooooo......Since our dna is made up of both parents, 50% of our father's dna and 50% of or mother's dna, (my father is O+)
Is it possible that our body is attacking the + inherited cells or genes inherited from our positive parent? Just a thought. And I wonder if an O- child of both parents who are O- as well, has the seemingly high percent of auto-immune disorders that we do? Hmmm.

I very much agree that rh negative people are predisposed to autoimmune diseases. My 95 year old, AB-, grandmother has always suffered from arthritis and general body pain. She also had fertility issues and my mother is an only child. On the other hand she really has had no other diseases.

I am rh negative and have encountered endometriosis, IBS and fibromyalgia. It would really be nice if the medical profession would get on board and we didn't have to watch our children suffer from being different are labeled as different.

I agree RH- tends to have autoimmune disease, such as alopecia and fibermalgia, which both run in my RH- family. In addition to those disease, I am constantly getting every cold that comes around.

I am O - and have several illnesses that are Autoimmune.

I find this connection fascinating and wonder if the doctors have made or bother to make this connection in the patients they see.

I went to a rhemetologist today-never asked me my blood type- and I am being tested for autoimmune system problems as well. I too am RH -B. I have migraine headaches everyday- for years, chronic fatigue getting worse-can't get out of bed, reoccurant bladder infections and I also had shingles 3x in my life the last outbreak less than 1 month ago. I'm only 45. My finger nails had recently dry and brittle and my hair also became courser than usually-my hair dresser commented on that. I also gained like 25 lbs over this year. I attributed that to lack of exercise but I eat very healthy. (lots of fiber, fruit, yogur, salad, I've taken caffeine out of my diet, and don't drink at all) I also must mention I had a lumpecdomy last Jan.) Someone mentioned cancer may be related to all this too, mine thank god wasn't cancerous but I am considered a high risk-whatever that means)
I had the two RH- shots while and after pregnancy with my son-only was able to have 1 child. Oh I'm also adopted so I have no medical history to speak of.
My health is a big mystery to me at this point and like the others I just want some answers so I know how to deal with whatever it is and lead a healthful life. Any comments on this would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi everyone. This is amazing. I have been talking to my doctors for over a year now about this same idea. I have several autoimmune diseases and so did my mother. We are the only 2 in my immediate family with rh- and autoimmune problems. I have been trying to find a way to do a poll to see how many people out there are in the same boat as us. The "guest" who posted on 12/2/09 about the + parent and - parent, must have been reading my mind. That is the exact thing I have been trying to research. If any of you have a "facebook" here is the link to a rh- page
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1299915992&v=wall&ref=ts#!/group.php?gid=134348756588455&ref=ts

Take care,
Kristi

I've knowingly had SLE for over 15 years and not one doctor has ever brought this up! I'm also RH- (A-)! Funny, I was actually just reading about eating for your blood type (relating more to weight than lupus to help reduce pain from Arthritis) and stumbled onto this topic. Not to say I'm glad you all have the same (relative) issues as I do... by any means, but it is somewhat comforting to know you're not the only one out there.

If anyone is interested, I also stumbled onto a site looking for people with Lupus to complete questionnaires and blood tests for research (Lupus Family Registry and Repository). I'm sure they'd find the RH- factory pretty interesting, if they haven't already. I don't normally get involved with this sort of thing, but I guess I'm tired of dealing with this and if the research does some good, than I'm ready to participate, donate or whatever. For anyone else who may want to check into it, the link to their website is: ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Best,
wendy