I guess that lymphadenitis is the inflammation of a lymph node. I have heard this occur as complication of a bacterial infection of a wound. I have also concluded it can also be caused by viruses or other disease agents. All this I found out about lymphadenitis sounds very interesting to me. That is why I would like to hear more about this disease and more about its symptoms, how I could recognize this.

Lymphadenitis may be generalized, involving a number of lymph nodes, or limited to a few nodes. It lymphadenitis is limited, it usually happens in the area of a localized infection. Lymphadenitis is sometimes accompanied by lymphangitis, which is the inflammation of the lymphatic vessels that connect the lymph nodes with surrounding tissue. Lymphadenitis brings symptoms such as swollen lymph nodes that are painful when the doctor touches them. If the lymphadenitis is related to an infected wound, the skin over the nodes may be red and warm to the touch, which is second very common symptom. If the lymphatic vessels are also infected, there will be red streaks extending from the wound in direction of the nodes. In most cases, the infectious organisms are hemolytic Streptococci or Staphylococci, and hemolytic means that the bacteria produce a toxin that destroys red blood cells. The diagnosis of lymphadenitis is usually based on a combination of the patient's history, the external symptoms, and laboratory cultures that your doctor recommends. The doctor will palpate the affected lymph nodes to see if they are sore or tender, this can help in diagnosis. Swollen nodes without soreness are often caused by cat-scratch disease, which is another disease.

I've done a little research, and I've found that exact details are hard to find because it's just about simply a side effect of infection. However, I've heard of fatal cases of lymphadenitis. I can't seem to get any solid information on this.