My brother suffers from Marfan syndrome, rare genetic disease of connective tissue. His disease is progressing and his nervous system has been affected too. I was wondering what re the prognosis for Marfan syndrome sufferers?

I am sorry to hear this, but it is any comfort Marfan syndrome outlook has improved in recent years. Early diagnosis and advances in medical technology have improved the quality of life for people with syndrome and lengthened their lifespan. Early identification of risk factors allows doctors to intervene and prevent or delay complications, so with appropriate management, the life expectancy for someone with Marfan syndrome is similar to that of the average.

An old drug to lower high blood pressure has been found to stop aortic ruptures in mice, human testing is underway soon.