Hello. I'm 19 year old male and would like to find out some facts about masturbating.
You see, just the other day my friends and I had a debate: How many calories could someone burn from masturbating?
They tried to convince me that man can loose calories while masturbating! How this could be!
I know that for calorie loosing muscle work is needed. Which muscles are so active while masturbating, accept hand muscles? None!
Please tell me I'm right!

I would like to tell you that you’re right but I'm afraid you’re not!
There were many debates in the past about masturbation and calories lost there's no straightforward answer- there are simply too many variables involved.
Some of them are duration, intensity, effort, frequency, and even position in masturbation and all affect the number of calories burned during masturbation.
But reading some magazines about sex health I have read that you can lose between 100-150 calories for each act of masturbation.
Are these numbers true- I don’t know, but I know that calorie loosing is proven and that your friends were right about this.
Good luck!

no, that's not true. 100-150 is incorrect. on a cardio machine (elliptical) you burn 120 calories of ten minutes of vigirous movement. beating the hog is only using an arm...and imagination XD

i heard that increased heart rate plays a big part in calorie burning. that's why ppl use substances such as clenbuterol for weight loss. and everyone knows masturbation gets the heart pumping.

calories are a measurement of energy, really. technically, Calories are what you see on nutritional facts and hear about burning, which are 1000 calories. your body uses energy to do EVERYTHING. breathing results from muscle contractions forcing air into your lungs, your heart beat is caused by a contraction of many muscles in the heart, and of course movement, repair, digestion, etc etc. everything requires energy. that's why anorexics lose weight instead of stay steady.

off the top of my head without going into EXTREME detail, masturbation uses the following muscles directly...

forearm (controls fingers, thus, grip), biceps/triceps (controls up down movement of forearm), shoulders (controls rotation/movement of entire arm)

by directly i mean you INTEND for these things to happen. it could also use your pecks, abs, traps for holding your upper body rigid (which we tend to do heh) and quads/calves should you be so pro it feels good enough for your legs to quake lol. obviously more would be used like back etc. the intensity used is, as mentioned elsewhere, dependant upon the variables.

but those specific muscles aside, your heart will pump faster which is great cardio it's good for your heart/arteries and burns more calories than a resting heart, breathing hard is your diaphragm for working harder, the energy required to deliver sperm into the semen and ejaculate and reproduce the semen...

it takes a f*****g lot out of you. it requires ENORMOUS amounts of energy. a Calorie is a big unit. a pound of body fat [for storage] is 3500 Calories... that's a lot.

if you want to lose weight.... don't. get healthy not thin. eat right, stay in shape, exercise, and have FUN. don't make your life obsessing over the next 3 pounds. take personal care of you and the way you look. shave, get a haircut, use cologne, but don't worry about your body.

be happy now, rather than waiting for later.

Here's to having a great time getting fit by touching yourself :-)

I guess it all depends on how fast and long you do it for....could be considered cardio :-)

Sex is very much an "exercise" of sorts. You get sweaty, work up and flush. You get the blood flowing and def. burn calories!

Have fun, be safe and use a lube :-)

Technicly, doing anything burns calories.
Blinking burns a small fraction.. But I doubt that;s what you're looking for.

I don't think any serious calories are burned. If you could, don't you think there would be commericals with their merical weight loss plan?

"Take the pill, get busy and you'll be in that swinsuit before you know it!"

Guest wrote:

it takes a f@#$^&* lot out of you. it requires ENORMOUS amounts of energy. a Calorie is a big unit. a pound of body fat [for storage] is 3500 Calories... that's a lot.

indeed. lol i think i'm in love with you!

There are many muscles working, not to mention what no one has discussed yet: It takes calories to produce the semen! The same way mothers burn calories breastfeeding children, men lose calories simply from the demand to reproduce the fluids lost.

So in addition to the caloric burn from muscular work involved in the "process" of masturbation, calories are lost in the subsequent production of new fluids (semen).

ok so check it out. everything you do burns calories. that statement about 120 calories of vigorious movement or what ever is false. say you sit in 1 spot all day. your losing calories each heartbeat, each breath, each time you move. by seeing, by any brain function or anything else associated with your body. basically your losing calories just by living. you need more calories when your sick because your cell need the energy to re generate. Thus what do you think happens when you ejaculate sperm? same thing there, youll lose calories by beating on it but the most calories lost will come each time you ejaculate. how much exactly i do not know but yeah

Yup that sounds about right but there's more going on here.
When you do anything sexual ( I mean even being aroused) you burn more calories. Your body uses everything and goes into hypermode, your sense of smell, hearing, even you eyesight get much more perceptive because your basically drugged by your body into wanting sex. All of these things are also adding to you calorie usage, I mean it takes energy to make cells and hormones right. And everything you use has to be replaced. So even apart from the basic movement using energy, your body is using so much more than usual because its in a different state.
As for why they don't advertise this, 100 calories is small, its big when you think about how much that is compared to running etc, but being active for twenty minutes and burning 120 calories is not the total amount of energy used, its only the amount of energy used for the act. Its all about the metabolism and how much energy your using after your exercise as well as how much food your storing as fat or using and that is really hard to predict for anyone.

Guest wrote:

no, that's not true. 100-150 is incorrect. on a cardio machine (elliptical) you burn 120 calories of ten minutes of vigirous movement. beating the hog is only using an arm...and imagination :lol:

The human brain uses 20% of your daily energy expenditure...

If increased heat rate burns calories then doesnt smoking pot burn calories.

and what about female maturation. we can use a lot of muscles and contort into all kinds of positions to get off.

I can't believe I'm responding to this thread.

But I would note not all men masturbate the same way.

I've never been a fan of the hand only method.

Much like a dog, I'll rub against something using both my arms and my feet to move my entire body.

I imagine the calorie burn might be a tad higher my way.