There is an online campaign to spread lies and half-truths about methadone and methadone maintenance treatment as part of an over-all effort to further restrict a medication already regulated more than any other drug in history. Following the precedent set for them by groups such as Mothers Against Drunk Driving - these groups, fueled by anger and grief, constantly make misleading statements to drum up support and solicit donations. Exaggerated statistics concerning the number of people killed in methadone related deaths are part of this effort to exaggerate the extent of the problem and to enhance fundraising and legislative lobbying efforts.

In the midst of this public appeal these groups will say almost anything to make their point. The dangerous claims are not those that are false; we who support Methadone Assisted Treatment are quick to debunk those. Rather, the dangerous claims are those that are true or partially true and being used to illustrate a cause and affect that simply doesn't exist. They are quick to spout off unfounded facts such as "Methadone is the Number #2 Killer" - the most ridiculous claim yet. Their campaign would be laughable if it wasn’t for what's at stake; with every person they convince with their exaggerated claims the stigma against those who address their problem of drug addiction is worsened, and the one medication that might make a difference becomes in danger of becoming less accessible to those who need it most.

There is absolutely no reason to insist falsely that methadone related deaths are a growing epidemic. In most of these cases methadone is simply blamed, used as a scape goat, pointed to as the “cause” of death regardless of what other drugs or factors exist.

Despite this rash of false claims being made by these groups, Methadone maintenance programs continue to be highly regulated and structured with nearly 50 years of proven efficacy. State and Federal agencies both monitor these clinics closely to make sure that the meet the standard set for accreditation. Clinics that fail to meet certain criteria are closed down and patients that use or divert their medicine are terminated from the program.

The truth is that methadone maintenance treatment has had clear benefits in reducing heroin abuse and its medical and psychosocial complications, it is medically safe to use on a long-term basis, and may have broad benefits for the disrupted biology that is associated with heroin abuse. Do not buy the fake science, pumped up statistics and misleading rhetoric of these groups. Stricter laws will only make treatment less accessible, more lives will be lost, and those lives lost to the tragedy of drug addiction will never be brought back.

THANK YOU FOR SPEAKING UP FOR METHADONE. I WAS ON IT FOR CHRONIC PAIN FOR OVER TEN YEARS AND I WAS ABLE TO LIVE MY LIFE QUITE NICELY THANK YOU. THE PROBLEM IS........THAT PEOPLE ARE TAKING IT ILLEAGALY AND NOT AS PRESCRIBED. SO THAT MAKES IT A BAD DRUG. METHADONE DOES NOT GIVE THE HIGH OTHER OPOIDS DO SO ADDICTS TAKE MORE AND THEN WHEN THEY DO NOT GET THE HIGH THEY WANT THEY ADD OTHER DRUGS THAT DO NOT WORK AS WELL DUE TO THE RECEPTORS IN THEIR BRAINS BEING "COVERED" BY THE METHADONE....SO THEY TAKE MORE.....THEN THEY DIE. IF METHADONE GAVE A BETTER BUZZ TO BEGIN WITH, THERE PROBABLY WOULD NOT BE SO MANY DEATHS. I HAD TO DETOX OFF FROM METHADONE, WHICH, I HAD NOT PLANNED ON EVER DOING BUT BECAUSE OF THESE NEW LAWS I HAD NO CHOICE. TWELVE WEEKS OF PURE HELL AND I MEAN PURE HELL EVEN THOUGH I WAS TAKING UP TO 5 OXYCONTIN 80MGS. A DAY. BELIEVE IT. MY WHOLE LIFE IS NOW SCREWED UP BECAUSE PEOPLE DIDN'T FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS OR JUST DIDN'T TAKE IT WHEN IT WASN'T PRESCRIBED AND PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF WHO TAKE IT FOR PAIN HAVE TO SUFFER. I HIGHLY RESENT THE GOVERNMENT TELLING ME THAT I CAN NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION THAT WORKED GREAT FOR ME BECAUSE PEOPLE WERE BEING IRRESPONSIBLE BUT, THE IRRESPONSIBLE PEOPLE CAN STILL TAKE IT. I ALSO FEEL GREAT SORROW FOR THE FAMILIES WHO HAVE LOST LOVED ONES, BUT, THEY PROBABLY WOULD HAVE FOUND TROUBLE SOMEWHERE ELSE.

You can say what you want about the benefits of methadone. Some of which may be true, but once you start methadone, it is pure hell to get off. This is coming from a man who's been there, and done that. How many success stories on here have you heard about people who has started taking methadone, and had an easy time getting off of it?
For the most part, I hear people say they've been on methadone for years and years. Then, when they get sick of having to take it to "feel normal", they suffer immensely trying to get off. Most people don't have success because the withdrawals are too difficult.
You guys should be encouraging people not to start something that you know is a ride that you cant stop.
If you are one of those who want to be a slave of methadone everyday of your life, the God bless you. I'm here to tell you, again, as a person who has walked in those shoes, it's not worth it.

you say its not worth it. but what about the addicts that are losing there homes and families, because the money spending on heroin and oxycontin.etc, just trying to make it threw the week. knowing that for alot cheaper, they can get medicated legally, for an affordable price. and not have to take time out of work or other things. there has to be a decision made when you can go on methadone, and save your family, and house, and life. or to keep spending and lying, and using the drugs until you find yourself alone in a dark cold, dirty place. is there any other options?