For a many years already I feel symptoms of Migrane. That appears as intense pulsing or throbbing pain in one area of my head. Usually it is accompanied with extreme sensitivity to light and sound, nausea and sometimes even vomiting. Anxiety, stress, or relaxation after stress is most common triggers in my case. I want to know what is prognosis for Migrane and if there are some treatments?

For many years scientists believed that Migranes were linked to dilatation and constriction of blood vessels in the brain. Now investigators believe that Migrane is caused by inherited abnormalities in the genes. Those genes control activities of certain cell population in the brain. There are two ways to approach the treatment of Migrane headache. Both are with drugs, with difference that first prevent the attacks and second relieve the symptoms during the attacks. Usually both are used by taking medications originally developed for epilepsy and depression to prevent future attacks. Triptans are medications that are used to treat attacks when they happen. Those relieve pain and restore function. If Migrane is caused by menstrual cycle, therapy can also be hormonal. Prognosis is good if you take a combination of drugs to prevent and treat Migrane attacks when they happen, by limiting the disabling effects of these headaches. Women whose Migrane is caused by menstrual cycle are likely to have fewer attacks and milder symptoms after menopause.