We have always known that vegetables are the best source of antioxidants, and that eating vegetables is healthy and useful in preventing cellular damage (read cancer), ageing and certain diseases. A new research on mushroom antioxidant capacity shows that we can now combine vegetables with mushrooms in order to get a variety of antioxidants.

The researchers investigated a few mushroom types including the common white button mushroom, shiitake mushrooms and oyster mushrooms and to surprise of all, the most common and the least expensive white button mushrooms turned out to have the best antioxidant properties.

Besides having more antioxidant capacity than the more exotic shiitake and oyster mushrooms, the white button mushrooms are richer in antioxidants than tomatoes, green peppers, pumpkins, zucchini, carrots, or green beans.

Hello Natalia,

I agree that mushrooms are a very good source of antioxidants.  There much more than that.  They are high in vitamin D which most of us don't get enough of.  I take mushroom supplements that contain Cordyceps sinensis to boost my immune system.  If you get a bad cold/flu and take this, its generally gone within 3 days.  It's amazing.  I have mushrooms almost everyday and the ones I really like are the portabellos.  There great raw, sauteed, in omeletes, salads, dipped in dressings just about anyway you can think.  They full of vitamins and fiber.  They contain powerful anti-carcinogens and more.  What would we do without the mushroom.