While dressing my 4 year old son this morning, I noticed he had an erection. I consider this normal, as he just woke up. My problem is, my 9 year old son noticed his brother's erection, also, and stated that he NEVER gets erections, not even when he first wakes up.

I am very troubled by this....aren't erections normal, even for children? He has no other medical problems and is not on any medicine.

Should I be worried?

No, some boys do not even get their first erection until the age of about 12 or 14....my boyfriend didn't until he was 13.

I don't know how normal it is to be that late in life before getting an erection.
I can't tell you it isn't normal but if it were me I'd probably mention it to the pediatrician.
But what do I know? I'm a 69 year old male.

My own experience is they begin quite young. My first personal knowledge of getting an erection was when I was 6 or 7. I didn't have any boys in my neighborhood when I was growing up, just two girls to play with. One day one of them said her older brother told her that boys have a bat and two balls while girls have two biscuits. Well, they wanted to see what he meant, and I was "it". I also wanted to see what "biscuits" were, so we agreed to show each other. At some point in the process of checking each other out, my little guy stood right up. That was the first time I had seen it do that, but that explained the strange feeling I had been getting in my pants once in a while for the previous year or so. They were super fascinated by the fact it would do that whenever they touched it.

When I was in the army, I used to visit with a married friend who lived off post. One time his wife and another army wife who lived next door, were comparing their 2 or 3 year old boys. They mentioned how cute it was to see that little thing stand up sometimes, just like daddys, when they were bathing them.

I know my own sons got erections sometimes while being bathed when they were that age.

So to me it seems to be quite normal from a very young age.

Legend
I wouldn't worry about it now. He may not want to admit that he gets erections or he may not remember getting them. He may also be masturbating and doesn't want you to know.

Don't make a big deal out of this in front of him. I'm sure he's fine. Remember, he's 9. He really doesn't need an erection now anyways. In a few years he'll be trying to hide them.

You could mention it to his doctor at his next appointment. I don't think she/he will worry about it.

Have you ever see a erection even is a baby if not and son ok with it peek some time first thing in morning is he pee,s and see if getting erection

j-save

Its been quite a while since your post. I am curious if anything has changed.  I also have two sons - an 8 year old and a 5 year old and its a similar situation.  The 5 year old is constant erections and the 8 year old is never...  The 8 year old got them as a baby - he was circumcised at 1 year old due to recommendations of urologist who thought urinary tract infections were going to keep happening - all went fine with that - never thought a thing about it - but now I wonder why one son is always having erections and the older never is...   The younger one was circ'd the day after birth. 

I have the same concern and am waiting for reply please.

my grandson is a year old and has not had one yet that's not normal is it.

Any update? I have the same concern.

Well I have three sons ones 5 ones 8 ones10. The ten year old hasn't had a erection he said and the 8 year old has had one and was like 2 and a half inches. And my five year old told me that the ten year old has Been touching his and the 8 years old penis.

I have two sons as well. My older son has had morning erections since he was very young, but my other son has not and continues to say he doesn't. He is now 11, almost 12. If there are any doctors with knowledge on this forum, I would greatly appreciate some feedback.

Shining Star
Hello
I am not a doctor but I can tell you not all boys get morning erections and morning erections or often associated with the fullness of the bladder.
So if your son can achieve an erection when he is awake okay the fact that he does not wake up with one is not a concern.
If there is any doubt take him to the doctor.

General curiosity could be a possibility. As long as its not sexual, it's ok.
If he's not going to touch his brothers, who's can he touch??

My first erections didn't happen until I was 10. A classmate told me how to masturbate but not what to expect; scared me half to death the first time tried it

Hello reading your post, as we have similar stories including circumcision as well hernia surgery. I remember my son peeing on me as an infant during diaper changes but no evidence now of an erection. He told me he saw his brother's stick out doesn't know why his doesn't. Wanting to be proactive to have all body parts to function the God designed them to work.