Hi everyone,

As the title of my post says, my CABG has failed and right now I'm waiting for angioplasty and stenting. 

For those who do not know, CABG (Coronary artery bypass grafting) is a type of surgery that improves blood flow to the heart. Surgeons use CABG to treat people who have severe coronary heart disease (my condition). Potential consequences of CABG failure include the development of angina, myocardial infarction, or cardiac death.

But I found out that these grafts usually have a high failure rate so I'm not so worried about this. What can you tell me about angioplasty and stenting after CABG has failed, has anyone gone through something similar?

Celebrity

Hello Health n Joy,

It is true that CABG has a high failure rate but it is known that patients who have graft failure after CABG are more likely to have heart attacks, keep this in mind.

On the other hand, I believe that angioplasty and stenting are good as well for improving the blood flow to the heart or any other organs. If I were you, I would have gone for these procedures first rather than for CABG, since I'm guessing that you already knew about the failure rates of CABG. 

Wait for your angioplasty and stenting and see how that works out.

I can't tell you anything because my 20 year old bypass is still working but I am interested in what the answer is because I suspect that's what's next although my cousin had bypass done more than once and was offered a third which he refused. He preferred to just wait to die which I was never able to understand.

Why don't they suggest a do over of the bypass?

Hi again,

njoynlife, I didn't mention it before but I did ask my doctor about that matter, why aren't they suggesting a do over of the bypass and my doctor said that they are almost certain that this procedure would fail like the first one did. I'm guessing that this answers your question.

It's a good thing that your bypass lasted for that long. Well, I hope that it lasts for 20 years more. I'm getting mentally ready for my angioplasty and stenting, I'm a bit scared now that this might be a failure as well as the bypass that I've had failed.

Hi everyone,

There isn't really a reason to be worried, Health n Joy. I understand that your bypass has failed but angioplasty and stenting are procedures known to almost never fail, so no worries about that.

I myself have two stents in place and they were both a first try success. The doctors will probably want to keep you overnight in the hospital after the stenting procedure is done, but sometimes, in rare cases, you might as well go home on the same day. Recovery lasts only for 24 hours after you get home. For this time, you shouldn't exercise, drink alcohol or smoke.

Hey guys,

Guest has a point here, bypass is already known to have a high rate of failure, at one place I found information that the failure rate in bypass is 47 percent. Now that is pretty bad, huh.

Angionplasty and stenting are pretty much safe procedures. Stenting is done all over the world and it has almost 100% success rate. There is no way you can feel your stent, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There is no long recovery period, you'll be back on your feet and doing what you normally do every day in only a matter of days, two or three maybe.

I can understand how devastated you must feel...I had a triple bypass in January 2012 and I know how I would feel being told your news having been through the operation and rehab. I'm sure that you are in good hands so keep positive I'm sure that it will work out fine. In the words of Eric Idle "Always look on the bright side of life!!!".

I understand that you are worried but when my neighbor had this situation he was pretty much calm. When I asked her how she can be calm she told me that there is no reason for her to be worried because things like those can happen to everyone.

Good day there. So, my mother in law had this situation as well. She was so scared about this whole situation even if her doctor told her that she doesn’t need to be worried about. She was waiting for angioplasty and stenting for almost 15 days and she told us that she is living in the nightmare. I don’t know why, no one of us didn’t know why. When this was all over she told us that she was scared for no reason and that everything was OK in the end. So, you should not be afraid as well.

Hey there.

Patients who had graft failure typically had more co – existing health conditions and were more likely to have their veins removed via endoscopic procedure. Well, doctors frequently treat blockages in coronary arteries with coronary artery bypass graft surgery.

However, this has a high failure rate and patients are usually scared this but they shouldn't be. It is no reason for you to be worried because everything is going to be ok.

I know that waiting is killing a person, but it is nothing that scary to be nervous.

Try to relax as much as you can.