Hey everyone.

My Hope was acting very strange today. She is jumping all around the house and she was never been that “crazy” before.

After a while I saw that she is obviously in pain. You know what she is doing? She is coughing up something, but nothing comes out. I was reading a little bit about this and I realized that she probably has problems with hairball but that she can’t cough it up.

I am worried. Is this a big problem? Should I see my vet?

How to cure it? Any natural remedies that I can use?

Thank you!

Hey DS,

No need to panic about this. People usually think that cats cough their hairballs everyday, but that's not quite true. They rarely do this because when they swallow hair, they usually pass into their litter box with no problems.

If your cat is really having trouble with a hairball, you can help her out by giving her a hairball remedy. It can be found at most of the pet stores. It is basically a laxative and lubricant which is going to help her move the hairball along through the intestines. 

Since this can be dangerous, if the hairball is too big, I'd suggest that you pay your vet a visit.

Hey there you two :)

DS1911, this is very common thing for all cats. It is normal procedure and it can happen to every cat, especially cats with long hair.

My cat had hairball issue for a couple of times so I really do know a lot about it :) There are several ways to cure hairballs in your cat.

But you can definitely treat her by giving your cat a specialized hairball formula cat food. There foods are high in fiber and they are designed to improve health of your cat’s coat.

Food plays huge role in it. You can heal your cat very easy.

Hey there. First, you need to be sure that your cat has plenty of water to drink during the whole day. This will definitely aid in moving the hairball through your cat’s system. Also, you need to get something such as Vaseline and small very small fingertip amount of your cat’s paw. Vaseline won’t be harmful to your cat if she eats it, but it is going to help her move the hairballs through the system and out of it  

You should repeat this procedure for three or four days until he passes it.

I know how hairball problem can be irritating. Good luck.

Hello. Hairballs are normal, but if your cat can cough them up that can be a problem. A lot of it depends whether you are sure that the hairballs bothers your cat. I totally support idea to put Vaseline on your cat’s paw. Especially because it is safe and you don’t need a lot of it. Actually, I don’t see any other reason to do that. Sure, you can always do it with medications but better try something natural before you reach for some medications (read chemistry). Try with some good diet program or good diet product that are made for this issue. Good luck.

Wow, I never heard of this in my life! Does this make me a bad cat owner? :/

I really had no idea that my cat is swallowing her hair. How does this happen? :O Does she swallow it while licking herself or what?

And how she can swallow an entire hair ball?

I think that if I ever see my cat coughing up her hair I’m going to freak out. Most definitely. :/

I would took her to the vet if I were you. Let him tell you what to do and suggest the best way to deal with it.

No @ Mia , that doesn’t make you a bad cat owner, don’t worry. :)

I have three cats and I had no idea what hairballs were until recently. And everyone considers me a cat lady with no other interests besides my cats. :) So don’t worry.

Hairballs re usually digested easily and there are some brands of food that help our cats to digest them better.

And if the food doesn’t help , you should check with your vet, just in case, cause you may not be dealing with a hairball after all. It could be something even more serious.

It is good to know that. Thank you. :) I am chatting with my friends on facebook, right now. It’s a group chat, there are five of us included. Two of us have both cats and dogs and the other three have cats only.

I mentioned cats coughing hairballs and guess what, I’m not the only one who is new with this. :)

Their cats never have problems like this (and neither does mine) and only one of them heard about that food that you are mentioning. So I guess this is not such a common problem after all.

Hope you solved it @DS991.

My cat sometimes just coughs as if she has a sore throat, and then she starts hacking. She never seems to be hungry or thirsty either, but she still eats a little. Is this common for cats to do?
I think she is going to have a hairball but I'm not positive. I felt like it was not severe enough to take her to the vet, but I think I should pay the vet a visit after reading more information on hairballs. Is there anything else I can do? (preferably natural remedies)
Thanks!

If I don't have vaseline could I use coconut oil to help pass the Hairball.?

Serious problem please bring her to the vet

Do how many times per day to use the Vaseline