First of all, I am no expert when it comes to weight loss. I am just a patient of a very wise man, and wish to share the information that he bestowed upon me.

Let me give you a my weight gain/loss back story. I was always active as a child and teen and was always "average sized," but more on the athletic end of the scale. I was completely healthy (never had any health issues until six months ago). I never had to worry about how I looked in jeans, but back then I didn't really care either. I was always between 130 and 150 pounds (again, I was more musuclar than most of my friends so with my body composition I looked more petite, but usually weighed more than others). I sprain my ankle, stopped most of my physical activity and then went to college. In college I ballooned up to 190 pounds (yet I got a 3.7 GPA - I told myself it was a sacrafice I had to make- HAH!) Since then I have yo-yo dieted like crazy. I have tried (without naming any specific names) diet pills, calorie counting, the shakes, working out. I have had good results and then lost my willpower and gained it all back and then some. You ever notice how you do not see the changes in the mirroe until one day you see a photo or something and say, "holy c**p!" Yea I did that! I gotup to 234 pounds. The biggest I had ever been. One of the main reasons was lack of physcial activity and my hubby uses a lot of butter when he cooks. It is delicious, but I am slowly killing myself with every bite, truly. I lost 34 pounds by going to a certain gym five days a week. I wasn't really watching my calories, but I wasn't going crazy either. I then lost another 22 pounds due to medical reasons when I got really sick due to my hyperthroidism. Now I am at 193 pounds and in size 14 jeans, and wear my 16 too even though they are a bit loose. I guess it makes me feel smaller than I am when my "fat" jeans are loose. haha. Just like my college days. Anyways, my goal is 145. I was always happy at 145 and was about a size 8 jeans.

First of all, let me just say that people only fail to lose weight because of WILLPOWER. I am a horrible person. Today was the first offical day of my DR PERSCRIBED diet plan, and yet I ate two brownies.

I recently was diagnosed with Graves' disease (hyperthyroidism) and my treatment is actually slowing down my metabolism, so I am slowly but surely gaining weight. My doctor set me up with a diet guideline and exercise plan to ensure that I will not gain, and will in fact, get to my goal of 145 pounds (which will be a total weight loss of 48 pounds). So basically it is going to be harder for me to lose weight than the "average" person. If I can be successful with this, I am sure anyone can, as I have a huge hurdle to jump that most others may not.

Ok, here is what he told me. He explained to me the easiest, most effective way to lose weight and keep it off. Essentially, and you have all heard it before, you must basically burn more calories than you are consuming. But there is a trick to this, that most people really have no clue about. I was blown away.
Your body uses 70% of the calories (food) you intake to perform it's regular functions. He said that if you sat on the couch all day your body would still use 70% of your calories to do things like heartbeat, lung contraction, sustain muscles, et cetera. 15% of your calories are used up doing you normal tasks and movements (such as brushing your hair and your teeth, walking across the room, carrying your grocery bags). 14% of the calories are used to create the necessary stomach and digestive acids your body needs to break down the food. That sounds silly, huh? The food you eat is broken down and becomes the acid to break future food down. But it is a necessary function!
That leaves 1%, which goes towards excercising. It sounds completely rediculus, but it is true. So of those four categories we can only have an influence on two. The first being of the 70%, the only factor we can control there is WHAT food and HOW MUCH we give our body to do those required tasks - and how many calroes will be burned sustaining our muscle mass (you burn more calories when using muscles to increased muslces can only be benefical). And of couse we can control the exercise and how much of the 1% we will burn off, and build that muscle. The other 29% we can not effect, which is why weight loss is so difficult. So let's only worry about what we can do.

His medical diet plan for me:
Eat small 200 calorie "meals" throughout the day. Eat every 1 to 2 hours to begin with because it will be hard to do. When you only give your body a little at a time it takes a hwile to feel satisfied. However, the key is to feed your body often and it will burn off the calories immediately because it KNOWS your going to feed it again soon so it does not need to store any of the food. Most people think if they starve themselves or deny themselves food when they are hungry it will make them thin. It will, but only because your body doesn't have enough food stores and it eats away at itself (that is called anorexia) OR the more common thing will happen: YOU WILL GET FAT. This is because your body is holding on to EVERY single calorie it can get ahold of because it does not know when you will supply it with more. It is a survival mechanisim. So he said 200 calories every 1 to 2 hours to begin with 9first week). After first week go 2 to 3 hours and you will train yourself to only eat 8 to 10 times a day. Granted you can't go to Olive Garden with this plan and eat a plate of pasta, but weight loss is all about conditioning your mind and your body. You have to make a PLEDGE to yourself that you can do it. I have tried and failed countless times before, but this time I need to do it, if not for my self-esteem but for my health reasons. If not for my new baby girl. Anyways, he said if you feel the need to get fast food or go to a restaurant just get it to go, cut it into four portion sna deat one portion at a time as your meal, wait two hours, eat another portion, et cetera. It is just going to take some discipline.

Exercise plan:
For the first week I am to walk for 30 minutes every other day (I am doing it tues, thurs, sun). I live in Arizona and this time of year it is a death sentence to walk OUTSIDE for thirty minutes, so I have a treadmill, thank God! On the "off" days (Mon, Wed, Fri) I am to do some elight activity for 30 minutes. He suggested lifting hand weights, stretching (NEVER STRETCH A COLD MUSCLE, BY THE WAY, ALWAYS WARM UP FIRST), taebo, or swimming (It is a good thing I love taebo). Just vary your "off day" activites so your not always doing the same thing. And take one day a week off (my day is Saturday) and just relax. At first I was overwhelmed, but thirty minutes is really nothing. I stuck a dvd in my computer (my treadmill is in the same room) and watched a bit of a movie and before I knew it I was done walking. I used to go to the gym and do a 45 minute to an hour circuit every day! This is much better. As the weeks go by, I will be walking less and less of the 30 minutes and jogging more and more of it. For example, on my plan, in week four: I will be walking for 24 minutes and jogging/running for 6 minutes during my 30-minute workout. As the weeks progress I will train myself to have more stamina, strength and become a runner. I have never been a runner.... even when I was on the tennis team and had a great figure...

As I mentioned, I am just starting this. I just wanted to share my new information with everyone else to see if anyone has had similar experience or needed some help. If this works for you GREAT, let me know! I will also keep you informed as to how my progress plays out. First and foremost I need to rid my house of brownie mix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope to participate in a 5K (3 mile) run (RACE FOR HOPE) in October. We shall see....

TIPS: Always drink plenty of water. I stopped drinking soda/coffee/tea about a year ago and feel 100% better than I ever did before. Drink only natural juices without added sugar (sugar=fat), and always warm up before stretching your muscles. Never stretch a cold muscles as you could injure it. (recommendation for a warm up: a 5 minute walk, followed by a 1-5 minute slow jog, and then gentle stretching.)

LEAVE ME ANY COMMENTS/MESSAGES/ADVICE. I am on a mission to finally reach my goals.

I think that what you're written about here is pretty good information. I think weight loss generally tends to be pretty straightforward but that there's a lot of information out there that really confuses people. I think that a lot of the information that has been provided is pretty helpful so I thank you for sharing a lot of this. I think the takeaway message here is eat fewer calories than you burn, which I think is hard for a lot of people to do. Let us know how your weight loss plan goes, okay?

weight loss has everything to do with training your body to know that it will get food. for men, it is easy ;) the key is to build a bit of muscle through strength training and make sure you get portions of protein throughout the day. cardio is also important. remember, muscle uses more calories if you build it right! smaller meals portioned correctly throughout the day work very well.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I too am trying to loose some weight and am hitting the gym. I started on treadmill for 30mins walks as well and now I do interval training with 30sec fast run,then 30 sec slower walk for recovery. I do this for 25mins then finish off by light jog or fast walk on an incline.I recently also started doing some "Insanity" workouts and whoa do they make you sweat! As you get fitter, you should def try this. Im having troubles with food though as I only recently started eating healthy and have always skipped breakfast :O bad bad bad and now I have to train myself to eat properly, more often and smaller meals. This is a lot of work but its fun! think about the results! Good luck with the "torture quest" and thanx for sharing ;)

Sounds really good and yor are on right track

but i want to add some thing in this if you want to lose weight then a good diet plan and exercise can also help you in this.

You can swimm, run, walk by these kind of exercise yours calories will burn more.

aimeesimson wrote:

I totally agree with you here. Diet and exercises are most important to lose weight. Eat healthy diets and maintain your exercise plan.

I'm just curious - did you stick to your diet and did you lose the weight?