Hi, my doctor told me I have parasites, some kind of intestinal worms. It’s disgusting only to think of having worms in yourself. I got mebendazole for treatment. How serious can this infection be?

Worms as intestinal parasites of humans can cause mild diarrhea or cramps. Hookworm infections occur mostly in tropical climates and are estimated to infect about one-fifth of the world's population. Parasites live by supplying nourishing substances from hot, human or other. They suck blood, and use other sources undermining host’s health. Complications of parasites infection include development of anemia and protein deficiency caused by blood loss. Deficiency of iron and blood cells can result in insufficient supply of oxygen and nourishing material to organs and unable their proper functioning. Worm infection causes tiredness, difficulty breathing, and irregular heartbeat.