I'm a 30 year old female and have had hemorrhoids for the past 11 years. My doctor said that I had one internal prolapsed hemorrhoid and its never been really painful (unless it burst) but being prolapsed I got tired of trying to keep it clean. I could only use baby wipes and I still wouldn't be able to not have the infamous "marks" in the undies if you know what I mean.

I unfortunately found this website and was SCARED TO DEATH to have this surgery!! I printed off TacomaGuys recovery guide and read it to a T. I read it over and over again. I also looked at other peoples experiences on here so I thought I'd post my experience thus far.

I had my surgery on Friday 5/14/10 at around 10 am. I have a severe phobia of vomit so more than anything I was afraid of the vomiting after surgery. Everything went perfectly. Post Op I felt nothing, and was probably in recovery for about 1-2 hours. Once I got my legs back (was a little weak) I went and peed twice in about 20 minutes. Guessing that's due to all of the fluid they pumped into me. In addition to the numbing medicine she gave me during surgery, I took some pain meds before leaving the hospital just to make sure there was no pain on the way home. She ended up removing just my one internal/prolapsed hem which ended up being about the size or a little larger than a nickel (which to me is pretty big!).

Friday night I was doing really well and was thinking, man, what is everybody talking about with the pain?! By the end of the night I started taking about 800 mg of Ibuprofen, along with my Hydrocodone. I've finally figured out my schedule and take the Ibuprofen every 8 hours and then every 4 hours I take the hydrocodone. I'm still on about day 3 1/2 and am honestly feeling fine. There is really no pain and I just feel like I've been kicked or hit in the butt with a baseball bat. Uncomfortable, but not crying horrible pain. In addition to figuring out my med schedule I've been taking regular sitz baths. At least 3-4 a day.

Up until last night (Sunday night) I was eating soup and peanut butter crackers along with juice, metamucil, colace, fish oil and oatmeal. The dreaded poop had/has me scared out of my mind so I decided that would be all I'd eat. Well not only am I sick of eating that, I decided to try a salad with hopes of the poop not being too painful. My mom has been here since Friday to take care of what I thought would be me, but she's mainly been helping me out with walking the dog since today is the first day I've felt up to walking around. That's been really helpful since I've just been able to literally lay around all day, sleep a bit, watch tv, sitz baths, and drink lots of water.

So, at day 3 1/2 I'm still waiting to give birth to my first poop!! Still very nervous as I know that the poop is the most painful part of this surgery. Oh, I'd also like to add that for some reason I've had a lot of gas and have therefore been farting a lot but that hasn't been painful at all (hey, somebody might want to know. Ha!) But, I feel very lucky so far in the sense that my pain has been very minimal. I'll keep everybody updated when this happens, but wanted to post a "good" recovery story (so far) to try and give hope to those of you that might be thinking about having this done. Have a great day!

Hi leigh, You could say so far so good but you're not out of the woods unit you you have your first BM only then you can say that it's been easy. I was like you dreading my first BM and was in no pain for the first 2-3 days WELL !! that was then 4 weeks later i'm still in pain every time i go for a BM and i now have 3 new external hems (never had them before) after surgery.

I also have a fissure that was caused from going to the toilet as my rectum wasn't stretch enough after surgery.
So it looks like i'll be visiting the doctors bed once again and i'm not looking forward to that as i will have to start this thing all over again.

One thing you need to do is DON'T PUSH!! when you have your first BM. If it becomes a problem to go to the toilet don't be ashamed to do it in a HOT bath as this is what i did (and others) and it was the easiest and the least painfull way of going to the toilet. Also take some laxatives before you need to go as this will help with not pushing.

Good Luck with it all.

Craig2 wrote:

Good Luck with it all.

Since I've been a little plugged up I took some magnesium citrate and just had what are going to be the beginnings of bm's. I passed some little hard balls that looked like they're covered in a little something (purplish,a little blood). What were your experiences?

I agree with Craig. I read on this website that when you do have your first BM do NOT and I repeat DO NOT push or strain. I read to just breath and allow it to flow. I held on to the sides of my toilet and kind of held myself up and just let it go. I didn't hold it (like I usually do in fear of the pain) and I just inhaled and exhaled. If it doesn't want to come out, just stop it and wipe up and try again later. But with all the oils and things we have to do to prepare for the BM, Im sure its just gonna rip XD

My 2nd BM was by far WORSE then the 2nd. I think you will be fine so long as your stool is SOFT!!

Well I'm now on day 11, and I will admit , the first BM was HELL. Day 5 I had to drink magnesium citrate (a whole bottle--yuck!!) Felt like I was giving birth to a lemon. Bad thing for me is that I ended up giving birth 3 more times (mind you I was off pain meds, and only had Ibuprofen) before it turned to diarrhea. So for that 24 hour period my butt was on fire. I realize that every person has different reactions to pain meds, but this stuff REALLY blocked me up, which is why I just had to take Ibuprofen. But, little did I realize, this was constipating me too. So on day 7 I quit all pain meds/ibuprofen and am just taking stool softeners (day 11). Oh the problem with me and these meds and pooping. I'm just glad that once I quit everything I've been normal and fine since then. Lesson learned. If you can take the pain (or what little pain I had--the worst pain I experienced was that sometimes your rectum feels like you've had diarrhea all day and it burns even when you've had no BM's) stop taking your pain meds.

I've mostly been doing sitz baths (3x day) and just relaxing. On Sunday I ventured out to take a lap around my aparment complex which is 3/10 of a mile and did okay. So yesterday I decided to do 1 mile (1/2 in the am, 1/2 in the pm). This morning I did a whole mile without breaks. I've been venturing out more and more each day. Yesterday I went for a haircut and drove myself, today is the grocery store.

My pain is absolutely none right now and I must be of the "abnormal" category of recovery for this surgery. I go to the doctor for my 2 week check up on Thursday and can't wait to see what she says.

While everybody is right, the first poop is hell (unless you are lucky and it's soft --oh how I wish mine would have been) but for my one 24 hour day of hell, I would rate this as an overall easy recovery. I'm sorry for those of you who didn't have this easy of a recovery, but I'd like to put my experience out there so people can see it's not ALL bad. :-D

If you can find pain medication called DI-GESIC it works quite well. It won't save you from the pain you get when going to the toilet BUT it will help with it afterwards best of all it won't constipate you.

Craig2 wrote:

Oh I'm fine now--no pain at all during BM's. :D

Just thought I'd give another update: Day 13 today and I went to the doctor for my almost 2 week checkup. She said everything looks great, I'm still a little swollen and have some itty bitty skin tags. She also said that I have a slight rash due in part to not keeping the area dry after all of the sitz baths. So, she said to put more gauze there and to apply Lotrimin Ultra at night. So, keep your booties dry people! =)

You said you had a internal hemorrhoid well I need your advise. I am 21 and have been bleeding for two years now. My hemorrhoids don’t hurt I have got the injections done and that worked for about 6 months 3 sets of injections. That doctor said just gets the surgery now.

Iv been reading and I really don’t want to get this since I have no pain when going or sitting or standing or anything.

I went to another doctor for a second option he said just get the surgery you'll be healed in 6 weeks. Witch is good since I'm going to Vegas in 8 weeks. Or he said I could try the coderation where he burns around the internal hemorrhoids and they heal inward but you need to go every 3 weeks and need to get around 6 treatments.

What you recommend since you got the surgery for internal hemorrhoids?

Oh he told me I have 3 internal hemorrhoids one is normal sized the other are like stage 1 to 1.5 he said but the one is very inflamed.

Also after I have a bowl movement I was sticking my finger up there to make sure it was clean with damp toilet paper do you think I should stop this? As it could be irritating it?

I need help :-( I'm nervous I just want to be a normal 21 year old and go out.

huslindan, first stop using toilet paper. Try using baby wipes, since they are better and less irritating on your skin.

Instead of actual Hemorrhoid surgery, you might consider getting a new procedure called THD (Transanal Hemorrhoidal Dearterialization). The procedure involves NO cutting. The Dr. sutures the arteries so no blood can be supplied to the hemorrhoids. I've had this procedure and it's not painful like the Hemorrhoid surgery and in about 2 weeks you're feeling much better.

Huslindan, I agree with map1969 THD would be a good option considering you only have stage 1- 1.5 hems but they sound like they are thrombosed and they will never get better only get worse, i know as i was like you but mine progress to a stage 4 that was coming out all the time and was causing me all types of grief. it would be much better to knock it on it's head now than to have it get a LOT worse.

ill ask my doctor about this and see if he does this. how new is this surgery ? And did your come back ?

and was this THD surgery like hell for the first week like every writes about ?

can you go out and have fun and maybe put back a few drinks and not bleed? (did you ever bleed?)

Craig 2 what surgery did you have ?

and do you think the surgery is less painful if you have smaller ones ? I read somewhere here that you shouldnt even consider surgery if you have small ones but i just don't want to bleed anymore. Mine don't hurt either

Mine first started bleeding 8yrs ago they didn't hurt either but they never stopped bleeding either. Because they were internal you seem to think out of sight out of mind but if had had a choice again i would think that over again.

I've heard that acupuncture might help but I have no proof of that. I had my surgery 6 weeks ago now, and like I said mine were a stage 4 thrombosed prolapsed hem. I still have a couple of smaller ones in side that I will have to deal with at another time but now I'm feeling fine. Now I can get in a days work with no problem, before all I could do was about 2-3hrs a day and then the prolapse would come out and then i'd be laid up for a day or so.

So in saying that it hurt like nothing I've had before is an understatement but would I do it again now I'm able to get around and play with my kids and take the dog for a walk and do some gardening and shopping HELL YES!

So I just got off the phone with the doctor he said nothing really cures them I could feel worse after the surgery so I am going to try the ICR treatment first. He said this is a 70 percent chance of success since I already tired the injections. Ill is able to get 3 treatments in before I go to Vegas and see if it helps. Keep in mind the injections lasted me like 7 months. But I'm also not going to strain at all or anything this time to try to keep this away.

I just need to see if my insurance covers this.

Like IV been reading on here you need to try all your options surgery should be your last choice. So if it does come back ill just get the surgery on my winter break from school.

Does sex really make it worse if anyone knows? I read somewhere it does because it strains your butt ?