Hello there,

i had my surgery 12 days ago..amazingly i feel good now ready to go back to work .I only  had very bad pain when the  first time i open my bowel its like giving birth.I didnt experienced other people experiences.I did not  take a  lot  of pain tablets  ,only take when i needed too.Actually iwent shopping after i got out from the hospital which i stayed for 2 nights.I told my doctor when i visited her after one week she was surprised herself what i told her she reckoned its abnormal for a person had hemorrhoidectomy  not experiensing soo much pain ..but she was happy for my better recovery .I Guess its up to individuality  how far we can tolerate pain...good luck to those just about have surgery...

It's quite painful procedure and recovery, so it's nice to hear that someone's experience wasn't as horrible as mine.

I also had horrible experience with hemorrhoidectomy. It was so painful. I'm glad that some people had better experience.

I am on day 4 after my hemorrhoidectomy and thought I would post my experience so far.  First of all I should state that after reading all the horror stories posted online I nearly cancelled the surgery.  I was so frightened of what I would be facing afterwards that I was in tears while they were prepping me for the surgery but I am now glad that I went through with the procedure. 

During the surgery the doctor found a fistula that had to be treated and can only be corrected with surgery so it's a good thing I did not back out at the last minute.  In addition to cutting open the fistula and scraping it out he banded one internal hemorrhoid and cut out two external hemorrhoids so one would think that I would be terrible pain.  My doc gave me a prescription for Vicodin and Toradol but I only took the Vicodin for a couple of days and then went off of it.  I am not taking Advil but am finding that I don't even really need that as there is only slight stinging feeling that is tolerable. 

I was terrified of having my first bowel movement but when I did 2 days after the surgery I had absolutely NO PAIN!  The stool was very soft and passed easily and quickly.   There was no extra bleeding beyond the slight discharge that is normal post surgery. 

The banded hemorrhoid should wither, die and fall off in a few more days at which time I've been told to expect some bleeding and pain, but I do not anticipate anything bad since I've already been through what should have been the worst of it and it really wasn't bad at all. 

In preparation for the surgery I watched what I ate for a week prior only eating foods that would process quickly and the day before I went on a liquid diet (like you would do preparing for a colonoscopy).  At 2:00 pm the day prior to surgery I drank 10 oz of Magnesium Citrate and then gave myself an enema that evening to make sure I was thoroughly cleaned out - the reason being I wanted to postpone the need for a BM as long as I could.  I had nothing to eat after 8:00 pm and nothing to drink after Midnight.  The doctor had me use 2 Fleet enemas two hours prior to surgery to clean out the bowel one last time and take a shower washing my entire body with antibacterial soap - a practice I am keeping up. 

Since the surgery I've been drinking lots of water and taking Metamucil mixed with water twice daily (am and pm); eating Jello, tomato soup, applesauce, pudding and a couple prunes each day (and taking a multivitamin with the evening meal), and then last night I ventured to have some scrambled eggs and whole wheat toast.  I had some fresh watermelon today and plan to have a baked yam for dinner - adding a little more fresh natural fiber to my diet.  Subsequent bowel movements have all passed as easily and quickly as the first again without any pain whatsoever.  I am taking two stool softener pills each evening and used Milk of Magnesia the first couple of days as I was feeling very bloated and backed up prior to that first bowel movement 2 days after the surgery (which means it had been 3 days since I'd had a BM and I normally go every day, sometimes twice a day when I'm eating a lot of fiber so that was a long wait for me).   My abdomen still feels bloated and swollen but I guess that's to be expected for a while.   

The doctor also told me to take a shower twice each day and soak in a tub of warm water 3-4 times each day (also after each bowel movement).  The warm water relaxes, helps reduce swelling, and assists with keeping the area clean.  After each bowel I dab (not wipe) with a tissue until clean - baby wipes are also recommended.  I am using a 4" x 4" piece of surgical gauze between my cheeks to catch any drainage or seepage from the surgery, and change the pad about once an hour or each time I use the restroom.   

I have to say I am absolutely amazed at how easy this has been so far.  So please if you are considering surgery don't hesitate - just find yourself a good colorectal surgeon and do it.  I suffered for 10 years before I finally got brave enough to have the surgery, and I cannot believe how I suffered needlessly when the solution turned out to be so simple.   The post surgical pain has been less than what I dealt with prior to the surgery.