I've had hemorrhoids for about four years. I'm 34 now and a few years ago I suffered from a severe herniated disc. I coped with that for many years and then the pain became severe. I spent about a year on pain meds and didn't properly take care with respect to stool softeners and fiber at that time. Consequently I developed internal and external hems from the constipation caused by the pain meds. I finally got surgery for my back problem when I was 30.

For most of the past four years, the hems didn't really cause me pain, but sometimes they would bleed, sometimes a lot. When I went for my annual check up this last June, I was diagnosed with anemia. I was shocked because I felt like I was in the best shape of my life with a great diet and daily exercise. That diagnosis led to a colonoscopy that determined the blood loss was from the hems that were a grade three (at least the internals). Surgery was recommended. I was ignorant and on board with getting the surgery. The hems were really an issue I was ignoring. They didn't hurt, just a nuisance as they would prolapse and would have to be manually reinserted after a BM making having a BM a process in itself. OK, I don't want to live with that the for the rest of my life, let's take care of the issue while I'm, young, plus being anemic at my age can't be a good thing as I grow older.

So, I started some research. The surgeon didn't tell me much, but mostly my fault since I didn't ask too many questions. I was starting with no prejudice. My research took me to this board and I was fixated and horrified. I remember reading one guy who also had back problems stating that the pain from his previous back problems paled in comparison to this surgery. After reading posts for a couple hours, I told myself, "there is no f'ing way" I'm getting this surgery. Case closed. I'll continue my routine and take some iron pills.

Strangely, after four years of mostly pain free hems, a couple weeks later, I had a "flare-up" as you would call it. It just got worse and worse. It got to the point that for six or eight hours after having a BM, I would be in intense pain unless I was lying down. Hardly an option. Then it got to the point that there would be pain even when lying down, as I tried to outsmart them by having my BM's before bed so I could sleep through the BM "recovery time". That just led to painful, sleepless nights, but at least I could function at work.

That's no way to live; call up the surgeon.

I had my hemorrhoidectomy on 9/9. I was scared to death from what I read (almost exclusively on this board) and prepared for the worst. Plus, I'm single and would be going through this alone and on my own. I have a four year old daughter that stays with me half the time, and although she might think she could take good care of me, sadly, I prepared my ex to keep her for an extended time. The whole thing depressed me in advance of the surgery.

The surgery recovery: It wasn't that bad. One of the most painful things was giving myself the enemas prior to the surgery. As you may know, with hems, it's slow and steady when you have a BM. Holy cow, releasing after that enema, I thought I was going to launch off that toilet. I was prescribed to do three. By the time I got to hospital for surgery, I was in so much pain and so traumatized from those f'ing enemas, I couldn't wait to be knock out.

The first night post op was indeed uncomfortable, even with pain meds. It was pretty much sleepless, but then I discovered the miracle of taking baths. Incredibly, I was almost pain free in the tub. I would even catch some naps while in the tub. Overall, the pain was quite tolerable. I would say that I had two bigger complaints than the pain. One were the spasms. Now those were extremely painful, but they would less for less than a second. It was just irritating. Sometime they would come from no where, sometimes you can sense them coming, but couldn't stop them, They gradually subsided and were all but gone within a week (and much less frequent and less painful after day four). The second big complaint was my difficulty to urinate. I think with everything swollen up down there, there was just a lot of pressure on my prostate. It doesn't sound like this could be worse than pain, but it was for the first couple days. I finally realized that I was able to pee, virtually pain free if I peed in a cup while in the tub and then dumped it in the toilet. Hey, whatever it takes. Geez, I read several post of people pooping in the tub, thank god it never came to that (actual another post that terrified me before surgery).

I had my first BM thee days post op. I was prepared for the worst but it wasn't that bad. For the first couple times, I would more call it immense pressure than immense pain. I suppose one can draw a line to the other, but it wasn't terrible and it only got better each day. About two weeks post op, I really wouldn't say that the BM's were painful or even had much pressure. There would be some pain for the hours following the BM, but nothing, and I mean nothing, compared to the post BM pain when I had hems prior to surgery.

So, two and a half weeks now, off pain meds and going back to work (I actually could have stopped the pain meds a week sooner, but the addict in me had to finish the bottle). I'm not 100% yet. I still move a little slower than normal and my doc said no exercise for another two weeks (and I agree, I'm not quite ready for weight lifting or running). Not 100%, but not in much pain either. I would say that the level of pain while living with hems surpassed the post op pain of surgery around day six or seven. My daughter was back with me on day seven as well and man, seeing her, even the couple times she came over for short visits during the first week made me forget about the pain entirely.

Without question, the surgery is worth it.. Everyone is different. I know a lot of people on this board have posted a lot of scary stories and I'm not meaning to diminish their experiences. I also suppose people that have bad experiences are more likely to post their stories vs. people that have good experiences. The main reason I took the time to post my story is that I believe a lot of people, like me, are turned off of surgery because reading the stories of others has scared them.

OK, that's my story. Thanks for reading. By the way, on a pain scale from 1-10, with a 10 being the pain I experienced when I had back problems, the pain from the hemorrhoidectomy would have never surpassed a 5. There was no comparison.

Take care and best wishes to all of you about to undertake or are recovering from this procedure.

Brian

Thank you Brian for a positive example. I have been suffering from hemorrhoids for a long time and I can't take it anymore. I had one of them removed with banding last week. It was very painful for about 4 hours on the second day. Now days later it's irritating but nothing like the pain the hemorrhoid had been giving me. I'm going to get rid of the other two with a hemorrhoidectomy. I don't care if I'm in terrible pain - I must get rid of these hemorrhoids. The scary posts are upsetting and I'm sorry to hear that people have been in so much pain. I hope they can all look back months later and say thank goodness they did it. I will suffer through whatever it takes. I want to lead a normal life hemorrhoid free. I hope more people will write in with positive stories to bolster my courage.

yes, nice to hear that some positive experiences do exist.

This is my 2nd day post-op and nothing like all of the posts I've read. I'm female and my doctors (surgeon and anesthesiologist) both told me that the surgery/recovery is harder for men. Women have had procedures in the area with childbirth, episiotomies, and just with menses they are more accustomed to pain and discomfort in the region. I have to agree.

Yesterday, I was a little woozy, nauseaus and hungry, but the burgers my husband was making made me toss my salad. That wasn't fun, but I've had morning sickness way worse. I was also uncomfortable and felt some pain, I'd say a 6 on a scale of 1-10. I felt it more when I felt myself digesting. Otherwise, on day 2, I feel about 90%. I have a 1 year old and was able to play and pick her up with ZERO pain. I have to move around to find a comfortable sitting position but I can easily sit for more than 3 hours. Yesterday, not so much, I had to lay down and find a comfortable position, but again, after being pregnant, one night does not compare.

I've also only had about 3 doses of pain med (vicadin) over these 2 days and I could probably stop now. I also did not need it after my cesarean last year. In fact, I think I may stop it since I read it has a constipating effect. Wrong time for that symptom and I'm really not in any noticeable pain.

I have not had a BM yet, but I know its psychological. My doctor told me just to go when I feel it, not to fear the pain because it isn't. I can't yet comment on that but so far, when I've come close, he's been right. So, I hope he will be right again. He too recommended Milk of Magnesium and much fiber to get things running. I haven't tried those because he said I wouldn't go until at least day 2 so I'm not panicked. I'm just drinking my water, eating my fruits, veggies, and oatmeal, and praying things will start moving soon.

More than anything, I'm AWARE of the surgery site, but I have NO pain, and am just eager to go and get it over with. If you need the surgery, don't be afraid, keep in mind, people tend to post discontent more than favorable experiences. Hope this review helps.

I too read all of the posts about how terrible the post op was from this surgery. I was totally scared and almost changed my mind. Let me tell you, it has not been anything like the horror stories! I had surgery on a Wednesday afternoon for an external hemmorhoid removal. That night I was sure to eat soup and other light meals along with stool softner and fiber (metamucil twice a day). I only had to take the pain pills the first night and I really only did this as a preventative measure. What did help the discomfort was constant ice packs and I suggest this for all as it felt really good and removed any dull or stinging pain. It is now Saturday and I had my first BM this morning. I was totally anxious about it! To be totally honest, there was nothing to it...I mean it almost felt no different than normal! I think the key is the light food (soup, rice, crackers), stool softner, fiber, and LOTS of fluids (water, powerade, etc). I encourage everyone to not be worried about the horror stories. Get a good doctor (colon specialist) and just get it over with. You don't need to worry about it and you will make it through!!!

Anonymous wrote:

You have to understand people come in different shape and sizes and so do these operations and most of them have pain. Good for you that you didn't suffer much BUT not everyone has the same fortunate experience. It all depends on where the Hem is located to the anus the closer it is to the nerve ending the more painful it will be.

I'm scheduled for surgery on June 22 after 6 weeks of dealing with regular old hemorrhoids, a thrombosed 'rhoid, an anal fissure, and now a possible fistula. My surgeon has already told me to expect that I'll spend the first three days post-op curled up in the fetal position, even on pain meds. (I was upgraded from Vicodin to Percocet when the fissure was at its worst; two Vicodin didn't do a thing to relieve that pain, and the Percocet only took it down from an 8 to a 5-6.) To say that I'm terrified of the post-op pain is an understatement. But I definitely appreciate hearing from folks who were pleasantly surprised--it gives me hope that by preparing myself for the worst, it might end up not being that bad.

Had my hemorroidectomy 2 1/2 weeks go.

I've gone into much more detail on boards forum, but will give a snapshot to add one more story here.

Had to take 2 suppositories the night and morning before and had 2 major craps that wore me out, because I always get a bulge that comes out after BM's and most physical activity, even standing.

Constipation 15 years ago from eating too many oreo's and cheese is what started my problems, and I've just dealt with the swelling for years now, but the last year has been horrible as I can't even work 5 min without the monsters poking out and swelling up causing a lot of pain until I push them back up only to have them come right back out in a couple minutes.

Surgery took about an hour and I woke up numb in the region like having a tooth worked on and your whole face is numb. They wanted me to pee before leaving, but that was hard being numb there, but got it done. Was nauseous and almost threw up leaving the hospital and the drive home hurt a little from bumps in the road.

The Numbness slowly wore off and it felt more and more like a base ball bat rammed up my butt and I'd feel it the more I moved. I had to lay on my side.

I took pain pills on schedule every 4 hrs and this helped me rest, but I was sure to drink lots of metimucil everytime and ate soft foods and avoided anything that would constipate.

First couple days I dealt with this baseball bat pressure and it got a little better each day.

Day 4 I had my first BM and I was slightly constipated for the first 2 little turds. the diameter was between a quarter and silver dollar.
It hurt like hell coming out and the contraction just pushed it through and I was just along for the ride. I felt bloaty the 24 hrs before and just wanted to go. After those first 2 butt plugs came out I had about an 18 inch fibery t**d.
I grunted and screamed releasing those first 2 turds and wimpered in the bath tub right after. I jumped in and out 4 times and finally ended up in my bed and dealt with the worst pain for 2 hours. It felt like I had been traumatized down there.

The next day I had a very soft stool and it was a little painful coming out as I could feel it against the stitches as it came out, but not even close to the pain I had on the first one.

before the first BM, a lot of the pressure was from the gauze and dis solvable sponge they plug you with.

The pain got less everyday, but for 1 1/2 weeks, I never missed a pain pill, which allowed me good rest.

Doc said I was healing great at one week.

I found it difficult to stay clean after BM's as a little more stool would get caught in the stitches and swelling, so I had take baths a few times a day to keep the area clean. Baby wipes help. I had lots of blood spotting and drainage the first couple weeks and put maxi pads in my undies for quick cleaning up and to save my undies.

It was going great from day 9-16, but went a few days without a BM and had some constipation which caused another painful BM. It was similar to the first as it went out, but I did not have that 2 hour trauma, but was very worn out the rest of the day.

I'm on day 19 now and thinking about easing back into work in a couple days to test the waters.

Overall, it's great not having golf ball bulges come out my butt all the time, but 2 1/2 weeks of not doing anything is getting boring. I still think it will bleed after each BM and constipation should be avoided at all costs. I've tried very hard to avoid it by taking metimucil with every meal, avoiding breads or cheese, and the thing that has caused the constipation has been going 3-4 days without a BM, so I recommend over doing it on the Stool softeners to avoid it. that's the one thing I would do differently.

I'm optimistic, but I know this is a slow healing process. Laying down for almost 3 weeks is making me feel weak so I want to start walking more and get my leg muscles going a gain, as I really feel my knees taking a lot of the strain when I'm walking, and I've had bad posture laying in this bed.

It gets better everyday and BM's can sometimes make it feel like I take a couple steps back.

I know things can go wrong and there are awesome doctors and some bad ones. My doc is known for being very good at this surgery so I would recommend finding the best one you can and give yourself better odds of recovery. It sounds like someone earlier had mistakes during theirs and I feel bad for you.

So for right now, I say it's worth going forward with this as long as you get a good doc, avoid constipation, and have an expectation that it may take a month or two to really start feeling good.

My name is Paininass on boards forum and have kept a diary under rubberband litigation not seeming to work under bowel disorders. It's very detailed of how I was doing day to day and I plan to continue to post to give hope or advice because I read these boards looking for courage to go forward or avoid this operation.
I found this site through google and will try to update in a couple more weeks.

Hi Brian!

Thank you so much for sharing your story. That helped me a lot! Im really nervous about my upcoming hemorrhoidectomy as well! Its genetic'ly inherited and most of the family members already experienced the surgery for the same cause. Most of them were complaining because of the pain post-op. Im a nurse and Im 19 years old----so its weird.I was reading about testimonials regarding the surgery prior to me having it cause its the only way I can alleviate the fear :)

Glad I was able to read your story. I promise I'd be brave enough to face post-op pain rather than suffer with it for the rest of my life. I just need to adjust more on my diet after coz i reaaallllyyyy like spicy foods. 

Thanks soooo muuuccchhh! wish me luck ! ^^

I would like to hear from a few of your members - those specific to your online posting - regarding outcome of surgery. I, too, am going to need this procedure after 6 months of hell. I'm seeing the surgeon on Wednesday and would love an update before.

Thanks so much for your post. I am one day post op and so far so good. I'm thinking I will be ok. I have planed to juice and blend my fiber rich meals so I can have a smooth move for 2 weeks but I (at this point) don't feel terrible.

These scary stories made me question living with hemorrhoids all my life or doing the surgery, I ended up doing the surgery and it's not that bad and it was worth it I feel like a new man now I can pass stools everywhere so fast and yes it made me change my life style I became more healthier, happier and I'm not scared of going to the bathroom anymore as I was for the last 5 years now it's the most comfortable thing in my day and it makes me feel better and lighter

I just had surgery two days ago its only bad the first day. I'm fine now I'm just waiting to have a BM.

I am considering going in a week hence. The vast majority of posts on forums are terrifying, thanks for the flicker of hope!

Dear Brian,
I don't know you, but reading your post really encouraged me because in just a few hours I'm off to the same surgery. Thanks for being open and real. I believe in God and know that He has helped me to approach this whole thing with a more hopeful attitude.
Roger