Thanks to everyone who has posted your stories. I think I read each and every one of them while I was considering whether or not to have this surgery. In the end, I decided to have the surgery on 10/27/09. Here's my story.

I'm a 49 year old woman who has has a problem with external hemorrhoids since my first child was born 23 years ago. For the past five years I've had at least four thrombosed hemorroids a year. It seems like every major happy event was scarred by another thrombosis. My vacations, graduations, high school reunions, holidays, etc. usually involved pain. I had my hemorrhoids lanced and the clot removed on several occasions and that usually made them worse. I suffered with bleeding and oozing after that. My doctor always said surgery was the last resort but I finally reached the point where I was ready.

I live in New York and my surgery was an out patient procedure. I was told to use a Fleet enema a hour before my appointment. I arrived around 11:00 a.m. for 12:30 p.m. surgery. I was made very comfortable and given IV medication to put me in a light sleep. I woke up in recovery remembering nothing with just minor pain. I was instructed to empty my bladder before being released. That was a weird feeling but I was able to go. A large gauze pad fell into the toliet from my surgery site and grossed me out. There was some bleeding. I just wanted to go home. I was released around 3:00 p.m.

After arriving home I was instructed to take 2 vicodin then 3 hours later take 3 Motrin. My doctor said to set an alarm and not forget a dose over the next 3 days to stay on top of the pain. I slept off and on and had minor pain. I also took a stool softener each morning and night along with Mialax. Things were going well until around 5:00 p.m. on day 2. That's when I first had an urge to have a bowel movement. There was no mistaking the fact that my body wanted to go NOW.

This was the tough part. I felt like I might pass out due to the pain. I was only able to go a small amount before my body shut down and couldn't go more even though I knew I needed to. From 5:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. I was locked in a cycle of having a small bm with pain, waiting 20 minutes and doing it again. This was the only time I had any regrets about the surgery. I bought one of those sitz baths that fits on the toliet and I highly recommend it. I was told to soak for 10 to 15 minutes after every bm and getting in and out of the bath tub would've been too difficult.

The next morning I had another similar bm episode that lasted around 3 hours. The pain wasn't as intense but I'd be kidding if I said it didn't hurt. That afternoon the same thing happened. I felt that all I could do was have a bm and soak but I was moving on and healing. Over the next few days thankfully my bm's came less frequently with more volume but I was still going 5 or 6 times a day. I found sitting next to impossible and continued to lay on my side and watched lots of TV. I had trouble sleeping at night and would spend time in the rub soaking. That felt really good.

At some point I decided to take a mirror and have a look at my doctor's handy work. Whoa, maybe this isn't a good idea. There was an incredible amount of bruising that shocked me. The whole area was very swollen and I could see lots of stitches. It looked like I had thrombosed hemorrhoids all over again because the tissue was swollen up in large clusters. I think this is totally normal. In time the swelling and bruising were going away as I noticed later.

On day 10 I had to go to the doctor for some unrelated blood work. There was no way I felt able to drive yet. I had to lay in the back seat while my husband drove me. Walking was slow but I managed to make it there. I had to stand in the waiting area but was proud of myself for leaving my house for the first time.

Every day blended into the next but I could feel myself getting stronger each day. By day 14 I went to the dentist and had my teeth cleaned. It was uncomfortable but I did it. Now I'm nearing my 4 week mark where I visit my doctor again. I should be cleared to return to work. I work in an office and sit most of the day. My doctor said I needed 4 weeks to recover and I think he was right.

I had all 3 of the vein branches removed in my surgery. My doctor said some people only need 1 or 2 removed so I'm thinking mine was as bad as it gets. Yes, the recovery was painful but it was manageable for me with pain medication. I'm lucky in that my boss was very understanding and I was able to take a whole month off from work without a problem. I think I could've returned to work in 3 weeks but didn't want to push it.

My advice would be that if thrombosed hemorrhoids are controlling your life like mine did, this surgery is definitely worth it. The recovery time is long but considering the problem will be gone once and for all it's so worth it. You need someone to help you the first few days with meals even though you won't want to eat. Just eat light and drink a lot of fluids. Buy a sitz bath for the toliet as well as a supply of baby wipes. Believe me, toliet paper wouldn't be tolerated well.

I hope my story can help someone as the other stories here have all helped me. I'd be happy to talk to anyone further who has any questions. Good health to you all!

What was your excuse to your boss to get time off from work? Surely, you didnt let him know of your embarrasing medical condition? I want to get surgeory performed as well, but dont know what to tell my boss to get a month off? Also, where can I find some good surgeons that specializes in rectal surgery?

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I was reading some pretty scary stories from people who had hemrrhoidectomies. I think these people probably did not follow their doctors orders and therefore made things worse for themselves. After reading your post, I feel alot better. I am still a little scared about the recovery, but you made me feel a lot better. Thank you for taking time to tell your story in such detail. I will update on my recovery.

I am also having a fissure fixed. Did you have that done? I hear that is less painful than the hemrrhoid surgery. Thankfully I do not have a job. I am a stay at home mom of a 20 year old and 15 year old. My husband is just WONDERFUL about this, very supportive.

suebee wrote:

Thanks for your post. I am having surgery in a few weeks, but I am a fitness instructor, and have to go on a Zumba Course 10 days after t he surgery

I'm 7 days post op, and have a few great tips that are working for me. Go on liquid diet for a few days post op then go easy, lots of water, broths, peaches, pears, jello, some fiber, stool softner, and tons of water. Also I cut off pain pills after four days due to constipation. My first bm almost killed me, so constipation became my biggest fear. Only take ibuprofen now. Stand over toilet don't sit. I know its sounds weird but causes less pain. Use a squirt bottle of warm water when you stall or that burning starts. It will help. And of course sitzs baths after every bm. Get your diet right, your stool soft and rest. This is the most painful thing I've ever been through. Hang in there, it takes time. I wish my doc had advised me of these things to start with. Good luck all!!

Thanks so much for your post. I am about to have the surgery in about 1 week and after having read the stories online it makes you kind of scared - I am optimistic that I will recover quickly but I do need to be realistic. Are you able to drive, work, etc. within a few days post op? Is it that bad that you cannot do anything? Could you go for a walk at least within a week?
That was my strategy too to stay on a liquid high nutrient smoothie until the pain was bearable and to keep bowel movements like water :) Epsom salts bath works well even when have flare ups. Are you feeling back to normal yet?

My doc didn't tell me a thing. I went into the office then had the surgery two days later. Idk why I didn't research the topic. Wish I had. Now I'm having a hard time passing my stools. seems like it's too big to come out

Guys, After Hemoroid Sectomy I had difficluty to Pass Stools. The one that helped me and relieved me of Pain is "FLEET ENEMA" thanks for the Inventors of that for relieving my 3 days pain

Thanks Suebee for your post. I have been researching this surgery and have come across mostly horror stories. I am a 59 year old female. Currently, I am trying to decide whether or not to have the surgery. I saw my gastro dr yesterday, who sent me directly to a surgeon. The surgeon said on a scale of 1 to 10 I am way over 10 and wanted to do the surgery the next day. He said I had two choices surgery or try to control it by staying off my feet and sitz baths, which I am currently doing. I know you had your surgery a while ago. Are you still happy with the results. If you had it to do over, would you do the surgery? I am also afraid of having complication of not being able to control gas or bowel movements after surgery. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. It is difficult to speak to people about this situation if they have not experienced the pain and discomfort. Thank you

I was told nothing goes in there, no enemas, etc. Too much of an infection risk!

Time has passed. How do you feel now? Was it worth it. I'm scheduled got hem surgery Oct 30th and would like to know.

I had my surgery on Oct 30th too. Day #13 and I'm still feeling a lot of pain. Feeling discouraged & tired of being in bed. My stomach has become irritated by the daily pain meds. My advice to others: stool softeners & a detachable shower head (post-BM) are The Most Important to get through this very painful recovery (the first 4-5 BMs felt like torture... I'll take my natural childbirth any day). Signed, Someone currently recovering from a hemorrhoidectimy

I'm on day 6 and I had my 5th bm. It felt as if someone was pouring alcohol on my wound. Geeeez it hurt. I took a look in the mirror with a flashlight and it looks like a baby hemorrhoid near my rectum where the old one was I jad Removed. BMs are the worst in post op pain in general isn't so bad. How long before you Have a normal BM? (I've been on a soft diet. Soup,crackers, mashed potatoes, pudding, jello etc. )

Hi there....I am contemplating surgery. I have my first surgeon visit on Monday, December 22, 2014. I am scared to death....literally....but I cannot keep going through the intense pain that I have had to endure over the past almost 6 years. I tried a round of laser surgery, but could not bear the second round (the doc did both rounds w/out any local or pain killing treatments). He tried the second, but a fissure seemed to have formed from this try. Needless to say...that was 4 years ago....and I am in constant pains with my hemorrhoids now. These flare ups have altered (CONTROLLED) my life for WAY too long now. I am miserable every other day. I am either in pain from being scared to actually have a bowel movement or I am in pain from the bowel movement.....this pain sometimes last SEVERAL hours. I have tried EVERYTHING....creams (OTC and prescribed), suppositories (OTC and prescribed), witch hazel, stool softners, epsom salt baths, not pushing/straining, more fiber......nothing is helping now....so surgery is my last resort. I AM SCARED to death.....but I keep holding on to hope that this will make my life better once I have gone through the pain after surgery. I am glad you had success with your surgery. Your story helps me to "see the light at the end of the tunnel".