Could you give me some possible explanations as to why my neice rocks back and forth quite often during the day? She is almost three and has done this since she was at least 9 months old. She talks quite well so I have ruled out autism. What other things should I and her parents worry about or not worry about? Her mother is concerned. Thanks for your help! Aunt Nickie

Hi there! I find this “habit” normal and it is actually not uncommon inchildren. It is called rhythmic movemenet and different children have different movements. Some of them rock their bodies, others bang their heads, or roll heads. It starts very early in childhood, at about 6-9th months of age.

It is sleep related disorder and children usually do it while they are calm, or drowsy or sleepy or when listening to music or like you said while driving in the car. It is actually not considered as a disorder.
The habit usually goes away by the age of 3 but some children continue with the movements until they are 5.

Body rocking could indicate that there’s a higher level of anxiety but not necessarily.

hi, my daughter rocks back and forth and so do i ive dont it scince i was a baby. I find it more of a comfort rocking it comforts her, when im stressed or ill i notice i do it but my husband goes mad coz i do it in bed when im falling asleep and i never realise so ive always put it down to a comfort habit.

Im 12, and have been rocking for as long as I can remember. I do it in the car, when im listening to music, and sometimes on a couch..

I am 16 and i rock back and forth when i'm in the car. i'd used to picture a horse outside of the window running with my car and i'd move how the horse would move. It feels good, it keeps me not bored, if i'm listening to music i rock with the beat. i don't know if its a habbit or because of something else but i don't know how long i'll continue.

I never did this, I thumped my leg though, I didnt rock back and fourth, how ever my brothers have!do things like this skip generations? Im the oldest out of two younger siblings.a female too. I still sometimes thump my leg, but it doesn't happen alot. does help me think.

I am 26yr old and I have been "rocking" since I could hold my head up as an infant.  However, the force at which I "rock" has slowed down a lot as an adult.  Also, my 16yr old sister "rocks" and has since an infant & now my identical twin infants are "rocking." I keep wondering if there is a better word for it.  I never had ADD or autism so I don't think it is linked to anything.  I do believe it is a calming mechanism.  A lot of times I "rock" & don't even realize I am doing it.

I rocked when I was a child and as an adult.  Sometimes so hard it felt like my brain was rattling! Side ways, front and back. LOL I could not understand this because I guess I was well in my 20's before I found I did not need this anymore.  It was not to music or anything but just felt "the need" to.  I am 50 now and I do love my rocking chair now for comfort but not for peace of mind. :-)

My daughter is 14 and has been rocking since she could sit up. Se also rocks to music on the couch and while listening to music. She is embarrassed by it, and will not let strangers see her do it, and gets very annoyed when others are around and she wants to rock. She is super intelligent, very funny and witty, beautiful and outgoing and amazingly talented artistically and musically. We are not the least bit worried, we just refer ti it as "her thing". All I can say is, "rock on', honey!

well its likes a habit. like moving my foot when in class  i dont now why... 

mine is 14 and still does,don't know why

I do too! I'm almost 13 and I have no idea why I do it. Both me and my friend do it and we both don't know why.

That's the exact same as me I am 14 turning 15 next month and I've been rocking on the couch as long as I can remember and it was always to music and always on the couch. I still do it to this day almost everyday and I believe its a huge part of my anxiety and I just find it very calming to me and I also get very annoyed when people come in the room and I get angry if someone sits on the couch I feel pretty imbarassed about it as well as I get older. It is my number one habit and I don't know anyone personally that does it too.

I did this too, in the car, which drove my 2 sisters sitting on the same bench seat crazy! I did it like ChelseyRose60836 does, in the car, listening to music. I did it on a chair listening to music in the living room, by myself. I did it pretty consistently until I went off to college, and no longer had a rocker or cloth chair. I'm now much older, and still love to rock & swing, but don't do it nearly as much as I used to.
Autism wasn't mentioned when I was young.

We rockers don't really know why. I've been doing this since I was 2. I am now 37. I used to bounce all the time, now it's more of a soft rock agains pillows or a glider. It used to soothe me. It doesn't interfere with my daily activities and I don't prefer it to other normal activities. But it's still a soother for me.