Hello all,
I'm posting here to get some input on a mysterious condition that's been affecting me most profoundly for about a month now. My earliest complaints about these symptoms stretches back about five years, but it's only recently that they've become severe enough to interfere with my quality of life.
It involves episodes of (suddenly occurring and long-lasting) nausea, dizziness, fatigue, and malaise. At its worst so far, I was bed-ridden for almost an entire day because I found it so hard to focus on the world around me and garner the strength to stand. It is very unusual for me to remain bed-ridden and it is not a state I wish to return to. It was much like having the flu, but without any stomach pain. However, unlike the flu, it keeps returning.
It is unlikely to be stress-related because I seemed to suffer from it worst during the later part of the summer, a time when I was not working or going to school.
More recently, aside from just a sudden physical exhaustion, I have noticed mental impairments. I have reached the point a few times where I find it necessary to speak out loud to myself in order to hear my own thoughts or think things through. Not only do I have trouble focusing on the world around me, but also on the world within me. It is only after I return to a better state that I realize I had probably been talking aloud (quietly, but nonetheless aloud) what I was trying to think.
What I find particularly strange about these episodes is that the "exhaustion" varies in its length and does not seem to be affected by rest. I may feel this way during the afternoon, then suddenly regain my normal strength and vitality by early evening, as though I'd never felt "down". If I rest during my periods of exhaustion, my normal sleep patterns are not affected. E.g. - I get up around 9:00, feel ill around 1:00, so I lay down until 3:00. Come midnight, I would still be as tired as I would have been otherwise.
I cannot find any link between when these episodes occur and their varying lengths. They can last from a few hours to days.
I have had it suggested to me that it could be depression, but I am loathe to suggest that myself, as I would say that I am happier now than I would have been several years ago. I do not feel any sense of hopelessness, nor am I plagued by dark thoughts.
My family has a history of auto-immune diseases. My sister is a Type 1 diabetic, as is my maternal cousin. My mother has lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, I believe) and Reynolds Syndrome. Several of my maternal aunts-- though I'm not sure if this counts as auto-immune-- suffer from hypothyroidism.
I have been tested for diabetes (several glucose-tolerance tests), liver functioning, thyroid functioning, and anemia.
Any STIs are unlikely, as my only sexual experience was six months ago and it was not penetrative. Further, complaints of these symptoms pre-date said experience. However, the reason I bring this up at all is because I recently noticed pimple-like bumps on my inner-thigh. I'm not sure if this could be in any way related, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
I am a 19-year-old male of Western European descent. My lifestyle is not "athletic", but it is not sedentary either. I walk quite frequently throughout the city (e.g. - I take a half-hour walk to school at least twice a day, as well as leisurely walks throughout my neighbourhood and nearby nature trails very often), unless I am suffering from the aforementioned symptoms. I eat a vegetarian diet (ovo-lacto-vegetarian), but my symptoms pre-date the switch to vegetarianism (two years ago) and I am definitely not anemic. I am thin, but not dangerously so.
My family doctor has run all the tests she can, and I am scheduled to see an Internist next month. However, having recently started school again, I am concerned as to how much of an effect these symptoms will have on my academic performance and therefore I am eager to get to the bottom of the matter.
My best assumption is that I have chronic fatigue disorder. Please, if it sounds as though I am jumping too quickly to this conclusion, tell me. I would much rather hear that I have an allergy which would cause this instead of a systemic condition.
I am a fairly research-oriented type of individual, so if anyone could propose conditions that match my criteria, I would be fine investigating them on my own.

Thanks very much.
- Van

I had (continue to have) similar symptoms. You may not be anemic, but maybe you are iron deficient. It caused symptoms similar to anemia. Talk to your doctor about your ferritin count.

I have been suffering with those exact simptoms for over a year now. I have been to many specialist who after performing several tests and investigating could not find any answers to this. I hope we get the answer soon. It has been inproving for me even though i still get some relapses. Yes, I also get the strange pimples between my leg and on my anus. Very strange because i never had sex before. I am an eighteen year old male. Anyone with answers please let use know.

Sorry to hear about your condition, Van Gogh... However, I just read on a different forum about people who had very similar conditions to yours, and they seem to have found relief from B6 & B12 vitamins. Supposedly, they had severe vitamin B deficiencies. You may want to try? Good luck!

hi. i was reading your post and would like to know if you have sorted out your answer. i am suffering from almost the same symptoms you are having and would like to know if you were able to find some answrs.

Hello, I too, have these exact symptoms. And it is strange that I have the bumps and I never related the two. I have been to two doctors and they have both prescribed me to anti-depressants. I feel that it is something else, but no one has been able to help me. If anyone reading this know what could be wrong please contact me.

I also experienced these EXACT symptoms in late summer.. Turns out i had Black Mold Poisoning. I live in a brand new apartment and started getting sick shortly after i moved in. Apparantly the people above me had a leak in their shower which cause the walls in my closet to become infected with Toxic Black mold. The mold can be very hard to find and might even be hidden inside you walls. It occurs more often in summer because of heat and humidity. I strongly recomnmend having your home or apartment check for this toxic mold. It can Greatly affect your health

wow i have pretty much the exact symptoms and its really aggravating and depressing its preventing me from doing things i want to do and is affecting my everyday life. i just want relief from this! it gets scary at some times.

To check for diabetes, best to get a kit and measure your fasting blood glucose daily for a few weeks. Doesn't always show up on glucose tolerance tests or whatever.

I am doing better now that I am on a special diet (high protein, 6-10 small meals a day).

Re: depression, may well be worth treating, as mild depression may be aggravating physical symptoms of other illnesses.
Anyway, good luck.

I've suffered with these things for yrs, and had no clue until I went to the Dr. thinking I might even have MS, my Dr. suggested to stay away from wheat, and gluten, and it worked!! He said wheat allergy or intolerance could be the culprit, now I can eat small amounts of wheat, but the symptoms start in again when I do. When I stay away from wheat I even lose weight...........I crave wheat though!!
I also have a dairy allergy, and avocado allergy............not so fun finding things to eat, but when it makes me feel so awful, it is worth it.........give it a shot.

Molly

I would ask your doc to run the blood tests for Celiac disease. Then go see a gastroenterologist for a small intestine biopsy.
Just to clarify - if you have true gluten intolerance or Celiac disease, NO AMOUNT of wheat/rye/barley/oats is acceptable. It will all damage your intestines and cause major health issues down the road, even if you don't experience symptoms.

sounds like lyme disease maybe

I'm a 16 year old in California and I also have similar symptoms. My symptoms first showed up shortly after starting the birth control pill. After two months of persistent vomiting, colic, morning sickness, fatigue, malaise, and disphoria I stopped taking the pill, but some of my symptoms have persisted which match yours. I get Ill int he middle of the night and morning, sometimes in the after noon, I have been getting migraines, I suffer from extreme fatigue and all over Malaise. The doctors ran tests on me and at first said it was a slight iron deficiency, that was almost a year ago. I've been eating red meat and leafy greens, plenty of iron, but I still get the same symptoms. My dizziness occurs out of nowhere along which episodes of confusion or disphoria, and the inability to think. I have to cover my ears and read aloud in order to understand anything I'm reading or else it passes right through my head. And no I'm not a poor reader, I've been reading at a college level since elementary school. I will also feel feverish or sweaty and I too get pimple liek bumps on my inner thighs as well as on my knees and my back. if you get any kind of answer for what is affecting you, I'd appreciate ea response because my mother is convinced I'm just reacting to stress. while I don't tolerate stress well the symptoms of stress sickness wouldn't be so consistent or chronic as what I am displaying.

I've got similar symptoms as well. Looking through the previous posts, it might have something to do with iron deficiency.

I'm 14... I don't know much family history. I had a disease when I was younger. I had, from what I heard, a mild case of Hemlock Shole-something Disease. It made these wierd sores, and it made it painful enough to extend my legs to the point that I crawled until it was good enough. That's my only history, really.

Anyways, the symptoms we are sharing aren't to bad at the point. I was working on a story I was writing, when suddenly I had to stop for a few seconds because it got incredibly dizzy, and some nausia. I've had the symptoms for some time, but it wasn't this bad untill now. I'd ask mother to figure something out, but she has kidney stones and I'd rather let her sit down and enjoy the pain drugs then ask her to take me anywhere.

Hello, I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. I am a RN and found a physician in my area who tested me for some things he believes most people with FM and CFS have. I was positive for them though I was very skeptical at first and most Dr.'s are not aware of this. What they are called are Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and Chlamydia Pneumoniae (not the STD Chlamydia). Also, Epstein Barr Virus, Cytomegavirus, Human Herpes Virus Vll among other opportunistic organisms. Usually these organisms cause things like "walking pneumonia" and other lung issues. However, if not treated properly or if the person's body does not react properly with the immune system, these organisms can be carried to other parts of the body and cause havoc. The symptoms are just as you described or can be worse which include but are not limited to: fatigue, malaise (general unwell feeling), low grade temperatures or sometimes lower than normal body temperatures, drug sensitivities, especially to some antibiotics, sensitivity to physical exertion, unexplained sudden fatigue not recovered well with rest and not related to sleep night before, brain fog or difficulty with word expression/thoughts intermittantly, body aches, flu like symptoms, headaches, etc. Symptoms can be triggered by lack of sleep, too much exertion, stress, poor diet, not enough protein, high sugar and high caffeine content. Treatment is available but difficult to obtain. First, you must be tested to see if you are positive for any of these infections. If so, then the normal course is long term antibiotics. These are very strong antibiotics at that. Similiar to if not some of the same meds that treat TB b/c some of these infectious agents are in the same classification as TB. Because it is not in the lungs and systemic, and these organisms have three life cycles, they must be treated by several drugs and for long periods of time (just like in tuberculosis) in order to be sure it is killed off properly. I hope you find this information helpful. God bless, Donna