New Reply New Topic Followed by 13 people

well I entered the site cause I want info on what natural supplements are available for me. I stopped cold turkey and would like to know what natural supplements I can take to counter the withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft especially the dizziness and electric brain shocks. Im determined not to go back on Zoloft because of its side effects.

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

I am wondering the same thing. :'( My doctor's office says they won't refill my script without me coming in; however, I just got laid off my job and have no insurance now and can't afford to come in! They just don't seem to care.

My psychiatrist has recommended Sam-e as a natural supplement to replace my anti-depressant. I am tapering Zoloft at a rate of 12.5mg per week and adding 200mg. Sam-e. I am experiencing mild withdrawal symptoms such as joint pain, headache, spaciness but so far it is manageable. Sam-e is widely used in Europe and there are reports on its effectiveness posted on line. There are some natural supplements that are recommended to support Sam-e. I will have to inquire about that and get back to you......

I have been through antidepressant withdrawal several times, and this last time was my most successful and least painful. I credit the supplements I've been taking as well as exercise. This was a regime that worked for me: also, this sounds wierd, but BENEDRYL helps too. If you run out of hope, take a benedryl instead of the zoloft and see, its amazing how it acts similarly to an antidepressant.
I was taking 75 mg of zoloft. I do not suggest cold turkey. My psychiatrist, who is generally a knowledgeable person, disappointed me when she suggested that I do not need to taper at all "because you are on such a low dose." I disagree, due to my past experiences, and 75 mgs, is not low enough to not have to experience withdrawals. Generally, docs don't know anything about supplements, because they don't get "educated" by supplement companies the way they get "educated" by pharmaceutical companies. I also work in the mental health bus, so I am privy to this. Anywho.....this is what worked for me spanning about 1 month of tapering.
began with 75 mgs and began taking a multivitan and omega 3-6-9 NOW brand, with every meal. Begin taking omegas before you taper, it will make things easier.
1. Taper to 50 mg for one week. Continue high potency omega 3-6-9 3 x per day, multivitamin, added the following supplements:
NAC, Rhodiola, Choline and Inositol, Glutathione, L-thyrosine. Take as directed on the bottle, some with meals, some not. Also, take GABA at night with melotonin for sleep.
2. Taper to 37.5 mg for second week. Continue all supplements. The Omegas really, really prevent "zaps"" and others vertigo feelings. Continue the same supplements. Make sure you exercise. Take ginger root supplements to prevent nausea. These really work too.
3. Taper to 25 mg for third week. Continue all supplements. I did experience some issues with my ears, feeling somewhat off equilibrium, some tearfulness, but not bad.
4. Taper to 12.5 mg for fourth week. Take all supplements. BEGIN TAKING 5-HTP. probably start with 50 mg. This supplement is really good, as it produces more serotonin, however shouldn't be taken earlier in the withdrawal process as it may produce too much serotonin.
5. Taper to 5 mg for another week. Continues taking all supplements including 5-HTP, you can also increase the amount of 5-HTP you take. I did notice some anxiety throughout the withdrawal. I began taking MAGNESIUM FIZZ drink, this is awesome, it tastes gross though! it helps you mellow out and its good for you. You could begin this earlier in your taper, I wish I did.
6. be off all zoloft. This seems to be the hardest week. I've noticed slower memory re-call, some irritability, extreme tiredness, but no flu-like symptoms, which is good. Continue taking all the supplements and figue out which dosage of 5-HTP works best for you.
Good luck! and remember it won't be easy, but a lot easier than cold-turkey or without supplements. You can get through this and actually function. I never missed a day of work, social event or other because of the withdrawal. :-)

This is in response to the guest who posted on 11-25-09. I am in the process of weining off Zoloft with the help of a Nutritional Advisor and it is still very hard. Your post is very uplifting and gives me hope. I am also taking supplements to help with the withdrawal effects. I am down to less than 25 mg and would really like to converse with you. If you are agreeable, you can email me at I could really use some encouragement. Thanks for sharing your positive experience.

Hello ,this was very encouraging husband is having side effects on some meds and Dr keep putting him on different meds its causing him more anxious, and weakness,tiredness sometimes he cant hold his head up wants to go lie dowm also he has and burning all over body even in mouth, back pain, just goes on and on.Something has to be done he cant live like this forever thanks for your input .

Doctors SUCK. They only care about making their money. There might be some good ones out there but geez!

That made me giggle-yhey have no clue

I'll get right to the point...zoloft withdrawal is not fun and can be a pain in the butt.  A supplement that will help you a lot is a good antioxidant supplement.  Think of it this way antioxidants will save those neurotransmitters that are firing normally.  Valerian root is also another one that is great for sleep.

visit ohm27.blogspot.com for more supplements and a info about a mushroom supplement that is very good

Well, I was taking Zoloft for 5 months.  Who knew that this was long enough to habituate?  

Here's what's helped: EFA's/Omega Fatty Acids, Multi-Vitamins, fresh Green juices (the ones that taste like sludge you make at home in a juicer or blender with celery, kale, chard, ginger and apples), and sunshine/fresh air/exercise.  I finally started taking Lunesta for the insomnia which has made the world of difference - probably helps like Benadryl has for previous posters.   

Be extra aware driving when withdrawing from this AD - I get sudden bouts of narcolepsy that take just a few minutes to come on and have to pull over driving a couple of times/week to nap in a parking lot or random safe residential street.  No joke.  Also my eyes twitch and skip around since quitting - had this symptom the first 3 weeks of starting Zoloft/Sertraline so know it's related as have never had this before in my life (am 38).  Again not such a good thing when driving especially at night - tail lights look like strobe lights/time lapse photography. 

The popular books recommend amino acids once the SSRI's are out of your system (usually 3-5 days after quitting altogether depending on the half life of the medication).  Since I'm not depressed anymore I've given away the 5-htp and Sam-E I tried before going on Zoloft (helped a bit but not enough).  L-Tyrosine was recommended to increase energy levels but caused severe anxiety attacks and unreasonable anger.  This is not to say aminos wont' help you - I'm unusually sensitive chemically so try to go naturally whenever possible.  

In terms of symptoms, Zoloft did initially bring me out of a dangerous suicidal depression though I couldn't function normally the first couple of weeks sleeping 16 hours a day, confused, exhausted and pigging out when I normally don't eat big portions.  The continued negative side effects after getting used to the tablets were terrible - frighteningly spacey, always exhausted, rapid weight gain (10 pounds in 5 months), and severe apathy - just not caring about anything least of all myself and the practicalities of day-to-day and the future.  I was alive in body but self-destructing in a whole new way. My doctor and therapist were insistent that I had to stay on the AD, but I knew had to get it together and start working again etc.  (Previous SSRI's were a disaster - brought on psychotic episodes, so did Zoloft in doses over 50mg).  

So I started tapering on my own, informing my doc as I dropped from 40mg to 25mg to 12.5mg every 3 weeks.  Even with a low dose, withdrawal symptoms have been constant and definitely increased since I stopped completely last week.  Crying jags EVERY night (only since quitting altogether), brief uncharacteristic episodes of blinding rage that last a few minutes to an hour or so, debilitating insomnia but most of all so spaced out that strangers ask me of I'm okay and probably think that I'm on drugs (ironic and so embarrassing). On the plus side, have more lucidity and while that clarity comes at random times have to keep the faith that the good patches will become the norm.  My libido is back - hooray!; and in a week have lost 3 pounds - partially due to nausea and headaches but still it's nice to just not interested in carbs anymore while feeling more motivated to do light exercise.

THE MOST HELPFUL TIPS: Exercise in fresh air at least every other day, a few hours of deep sleep nightly with a nap during the day using sleep aid if required, high quality fish oil and the freshest green juice you can afford (home made, Whole Foods or Jamba Juice in that order).  The green juice will give you all the nutrients you need and be immediately bioavailable - I feel a burst of energy and vitality within a few minutes of drinking, much more noticeable than with multivitamins. :)  Start easy with just a few ounces/day and work up to 16 ozs.    
By accident or design, SSRI's mess with delicate neurological balances and are extremely addictive (call it physical dependency if you like, but the physical weaning process is pretty much the same).  For optimal success in treating depression and anxiety they're supposed to be prescribed for short-term use while undergoing therapy.  Don't trust that your doctor knows best, especially if he's your Internal Medicine Specialist - those guys know nothing about this stuff.  The withdrawal symptoms are not your fault.

Go slowly and be gentle with yourself.  You're worth it.  If the downside of taking these meds is outweighing the positive slowly slowly slowly taper, get the support you need and enjoy the experience of feeling you again.

Thank you for this information- I have been on zoloft for four years now and have never been able to quit due to the terrible withdrawal. The Dr.'s say just taper slowly however, that's not enough! I am following your plan exactly- I'm currently on the 50mg week- so far, so good! My question is how long after you are completely off of zoloft do I need to continue with all of the supplements? Forever, lol? Also, I am stuck with about 20 lbs of extra weight i'm pretty sure is due to the zoloft. Did you have this problem, and if so, did you lose any weight once you were off of the zoloft?

Thanks so much!!!

I GOT A BLUE "S.A.D." LIGHT ON AMAZON FOR ABOUT $45 TO HELP WHILE TAPERING. I SIT WITH IT NEXT TO MY COMPUTER AT WORK ABOUT AN HOUR A DAY. IT HAS MADE AN ENORMOUS DIFFERENCE IN MY ENERGY LEVEL, APPETITE, MOOD, EVERYTHING.

I'VE ALSO STARTED WALKING OUTSIDE EVERY DAY AND WORKING OUT MORE. I ALSO TAKE BENADRYL AT NIGHT TO SLEEP. I ALSO TAKE FISH OIL, EVENING PRIMROSE OIL, DIM (FOR ESTROGEN METABOLISM--PMS SYMPTOMS), VITEX (SAME), AS WELL AS HOLISTIC/AWESOME MULTIVITAMIN, AND CALCIUM. ALSO HEADING BACK TO MY TALK-THERAPIST FOR HELP WITH MANAGING NEGATIVE VOICES THAT HAVE RESURFACED AS I TAPER OFF ZOLOFT.

FINALLY, A GLASS OF WINE AT NIGHT CAN DO WONDERS.
:0

LOVE

hello, I actually got this info from another forum and it has worked within two days, I can't recommend it enough and it is completely natural.
I take B-complex 100 (which has tons of different vitamins and minerals such as B6 Choline, niacin), i take 1300mg Omega 3 fish oils, I take about 10-15 Bee Pollen granuals, this is a superfood of propolis, and then I take a couple of forms of Magnesium, both ionic drinkable and mag glucosate.  I would not have believed it but I was having horrible withdrawal symptoms after being on Lexapro and Welbutrin for 3 years, I tapered off and was off all meds last week.  I was dizzy, irritable, tired yet couldn't relax, and foggy.  After 2 days on the above vitamins, I am feeling 80% better.  Good luck, I hope that this info gets spread around, it's ridiculous to me that doctors do not have this simple info to give us.

Guest wrote:

You can do it! I'm down from 200mg a day, just cut to 50mg yesterday. Lots of weird feelings but ya have to keep busy and fight it.

Good luck!

Guest wrote:

I don't quite understand what you mean on the 1st week nac rhodia, choline and insolitol glutathione and l-thyrosine and where can I buy them?
You are so helpful.Thank You soo much.
Kay
mrodgers5452@sbcglobal.net