My mother told me I like to eat only negative calorie foods. I was laughing her explanation, but a friend told me that really exist. I was surprised about it, so I would like to hear something about negative calorie foods. Is it true that grapefruit and carrot are negative calorie foods? I would appreciate anything you could offer me to understand this because I am confused.

Negative calorie foods are foods, which use more calories to digest than calories that food actually contains. Calories from negative calorie foods are much harder for the body to use. In other words, your body has to work hard in order to extract calories from these foods. Even though foods may contain equal amount of calories, much less of these calories can possibly turn into fat in fat burning foods. The point is that negative calorie foods transform, as fewer calories are actually available to the body. This gives these foods a tremendous natural fat-burning advantage, so this term does not mean food is not healthy. A piece of dessert consisting of 400 calories may only require 150 calories to digest by our body, resulting in a net gain of 250 calories. Off course, these extra calories are added to our body fat. On the other hand, a 5-calorie piece of celery may require 150 calories to digest, but resulting in a net loss of 145 calories from our body fat, so the more you eat, the more you lose weight. There are several vegetables and fruits with negative calorie effect, such as Papaya, Strawberry, Raspberry, etc.