I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse three years ago. My doctor told me that this condition does not need treatment and that annual check - ups would be enough. Now I have the feeling that my symptoms are worsening. I feel that my heart beats are not normal and my chest hurt a lot. Is it possible that my mitral valve prolapse is worsening or is it something else?

It is true that in most cases this condition does not need treatment, but it is also possible that the work of the flap becomes more disrupted in time. Endocarditic (valve infection) is one of the possible complications, but there are others, too. Sometimes mitral regurgitation (the return of the blood to atrium) can reach a very high degree and lead to abnormal heart rhythm. This is the case with you - fainting spells, chest pain and abnormal heart beat indicate the worsening of the condition and the treatment is now necessary. Your doctor will probably use beta - blockers such as Tenormin, Lopressor nd Inderal to try and make your left ventricle bigger. This should reduce the degree of the prolapse on your valve. Rarely does this condition complicate any further and in those cases the surgery might be the only solution since the regurgitation can cause progressive heart enlargement or other complications. The surgery can involve either mitral valve repair or mitral valve replacement.

I was told at 18 years old that I had grade III harsh systolic murmur ! I am now 63 and have
take a low dose asprin (Doctor reccomended) for years and have chest pains / shortness of breath
from time to time !