My name is Judy and I am the mother of a daughter who was on YAZ birth control for three weeks and has been off for two weeks. She was on Yasmin before for a month or two here and there, as her ob gyn gave her samples, etc.

There were no prior birth control problems we know of. This last time (five weeks ago) her doctor switched her to YAZ and said there was no difference between the two. She almost immediately began having severe mood swings, ie, from feeling okay to extremely depressed with no reason she could think of. The switches in mood occured very rapidly. Also, she had never had a panic attack before, and she has now been having or fighting them on a regular basis for three weeks. Wait, she had one panic attack last year out of the blue (she may well have been on YAZ then). No more until she started YAZ three weeks ago. She has had some sleep problems ever since she started college, but they are worse now. She now needs relief from the extreme stress and depression, and we have been helping her decrease her school workload, etc., but it does not seem to be helping. That is what made me think of chemical reasons for this.

Obviously, this is extremely frightening to my daughter and to her family, as we love her dearly.

Another potential complication is that she had a yeast infection on her face and was taking an azol-type antifungal, which I just found out on another website is contraindicated with YAZ. She was taking it sporadically until just yesterday. I have told her to cease that immediately and she is.

Here is another twist. I was taking the benzodiazepine clonazepam. I caught her yeast infection and had a horrendous drug interaction with the azole antifungal that threw me into immediate withdrawal w/awful symptoms.

This is significant to my daughter's situation with the YAZ, in that YAZ is sometimes prescibed for that problem (some four-letter acronym, not PMS) for depression and some other things. Threfore, I am concerned with a possible drug interaction complication involving the azol-type antifungal.

That is the story involving the YAZ (and the anti-fungal) as I understand it.

My big questions are these. Are there any suggestions for alleviation of her symptoms from YAZ? Has anyone ever had their symptoms go away on their own? I have always hated the idea of taking hormones for birth control, but that is a mute point. I saw that someone had their symptoms abate with reinstatement of yasmin. Of course, the anti-fungal will still be in her system and for all I know, it is contraindicated for yasmin as well.

Does she do nothing and hope? Does she let the anti-fungal get out of her system and then try Yasmin? Is there a way out of this nightmare for her?

Knowledge is power, and knowing that the YAZ/perhaps anti-fungal caused this at least lets her know she is not becoming bi or uni-polar and that she is not "crazy", but the symptoms are crippling her life.

For the doctors who so blithly prescribed a benzodizapine for me, an azole-antifungal for her and for me, and the doctor who glibly said "YAZ is the same", I say, look at the endless amounts of pain you have caused with your ignoring of contraindications and your lack of honest and informed explanations of drug interactions and side effects.

There is no excuse; computers are everywhere and programs for docs that show all of the problems at the touch of a button.

I am getting much help for my problem, including from a well-run forum specifically dealing with my issue.

I hope to get the same for my daughter here.

Thank you so much. Now, I do not know how to get back onto my particular thread to see if I get a response. Someone there has my email. Can you help me with this technical part?

I am so very sorry for all the women, and their loved ones, who are suffering from this drug that is obviously so potentially harmful to so many woman. I wish you all well in your own quest for answers, and I wish you comfort as well.

Again, thank you.

Judyb

I've been taking yaz for about eight months now. The comercial is wonderful, "Where're not gonna take it", it made it sound like the miracle birth control. It totally sold me. At first, it did seem like the miracle birth control. But soon, after a few months, (and it was hard to spot at first but now looking back, you know hindsight is 20/20, I can see it now) I started to feel WAAAYYYYY more emotional than normal. Granted, I am naturally an emotional person, but it just got rediculous. I started getting depressed, then more depressed. I started feeling very irritable, snapping at those closest to me. I got frustrated at practically everything. Then there were times that I also felt numb, like I had lost who I used to be. I started feeling very alone, and like life was worthless. What was I here for? And that thought absolutely TERRIFIED me! And there is absolutely no reason for me to think that way. For one thing, I'm just not like that. And secondly, I have a wonderful family with wonderful friends, a loving husband, a new baby son, a beautiful home. I could go on and on with all my blessings.
But something was making me feel horrible. I've finally been able to pinpoint it to my being on Yaz. At one point, I found myself beginning to shake uncontrolably, deathly afraid and anxious. My husband actually had to take me to the emergency room. I was having a panic attack.
So now, I've decided to stop taking Yaz. I've made an appointment with my gyn in two weeks to discuss something different. But one thing is for sure, I am never taking Yaz again.
I stopped taking it three nights ago. At first, I thought I was beginning to feel better, but now, I'm beginning to feel all of these symptoms all over again. I'm terrified, because I don't want to feel that horrible again. It scares me. I'm so afraid right now. And I've been crying at the drop of a hat.
And it is so strange trying to explain it to my husband. He's trying to understand, I know. I really do wish that more men would research and understand what these oral contraceptives can do to a woman. It's terrible! And sometimes, very serious.
So, everyone, and you, judyb, I am very interested also in how long it takes for one's body to expel the final remnants of that awful drug. When will I feel normal again and get back to my good 'ole self. Judyb, I am definetely interested in how your daughter is coping, and if you would like to hear how I am progressing, or ask any questions or talk to me about it, my email address is
Mistress.Van.Helsing@gmail.com
I would love to hear an update about her. And I am continuing to research this drug myself and it's effects. And I cannot tell you how many people I know, or people I've met and talked to, and testimonials I have already come across from all corners of the net, that proclaim how AWFUL this yaz stuff is, and how they're getting off of it as fast as they can!
Hope to here more about this, and best to you,
Mistress

I've been taking YAZ for about a year now, no problems that I can think of. Well, a couple weeks ago I went away for the weekend and forgot to bring the pack along. I decided to stop taking it all together and right now I'm going crazy. I can't understand or explain the feelings that I'm feeling. I don't want to go anywhere but my couch, I'm extremely sensitive, paranoid and anxious. Is this due to stopping the YAZ? When will this go away? Since feeling like this, I definitely will NOT go back on bc I can't imagine what it was doing to my chemical balance to cause such an imbalance right now.

i have been on BC for about 3 years altogether, and i have taken YAZ for a year . i just stopped taking it maybe i month ago and i had allloooootttt of pregnancy symptoms a week after i stop the pill. im not pregnant but now i would know what it feels like to get pregnant. i thought yaz was great but the only thing it helped me with was to give me shorter periods,my ovulation cramps were horrible and my period cramps werent so great either, and my face.... didnt clear like it told me it would. i haaattte yaz and i would never recommend it to anyone. when i was on YAZ i didnt really notice then but i see it clearly now.. that i was bitchy, hated everything and everyone, hoorrrible mood swings, irritable and snappy and just about annyyone especially the ones closest to me. i am my happy go lucky self now that i have been off YAZ. i was waaayy depressed when i was on it too. it was BAD. i will never ever go on YAZ again, it made me someone i wasnt, and i hate that feeling. i havent been depressed when i got off YAZ i just went back to my sweet nice loving FUN old self and i LOVE it!
so if you are thinking about a birth control look into something else . :-)

Get off of Yaz!!!!! And.... be prepared for it to be hell for a couple of months. I was on Yasmin for about 1 year and then switched to Yaz. Panic attacks - check
Migraines - check
Mood Swings - check
Look.... I'm an airline pilot and I've darn near destroyed my career over the side affects of Yaz. After 2 months, the SEVERE migraines with aura have gone away, but not without making my life hell and losing my pilot medical. Thank you YAZ for destroying my career and almost causing a divorce.
I am a NORMAL very strong and funcitonal woman in a healthy marriage. Yaz turned me into a psycho b***h with headaches that would put anyone in the crazy bin.
GET OFF OF YAZ but give it at least 2 months before you begin feeling like yourself again. You know what??? If you can get off of BC pills entirely and use condoms and gels or some other form of BC, you are better off. After 20 years on the pill and then quitting after my YAZ nightmare, I am finally beginning to feel like myself again. Don't trust the pharmaceutical companies. Getting pregnant is better than destroying your marriage and your health. Look into old fashioned condoms and save your health, your mind, your heart, and don't have a stroke. Good God.... I cannot belive what YAZ did to me.

Hello!

I am a 21 year old who was put on Yaz last May to treat my severe menstrual cramps. My doctor told me that there was nothing to be concerned about, and that Yaz did not have any complications. I started to take it and felt a little weird after the first 2 weeks. I did not think anything of it and kept taking it. When July came around and I was on my second pack of Yaz, I began to get really sick. My whole body felt really shaky, my heart was raising, and I would get frequent panic and anxiety attacks (which I never had before). I called my doctor and she said that it was not the Yaz, but that I could take myself off of it if I wanted too. So I stopped using it and still continued to suffer panic attacks. I could not go the local store, drive my car, or do any of the simple things that I always use to do without getting a panic attack. The panic attacks would just come on with no warning, and I could not control them.
After being off of the pill for two weeks and still not feeling a whole lot better I went to my regular doctor for blood work. Blood work came back with my hormone levels and thyroid levels off. Another obgyn told me that Yaz can cause panic attacks and that all of my symptoms were coming from the pill. Even though I stopped taking the pill, the pill was still effecting my body, especially since Yaz has so many extra hormones in it, it is a very strong pill.
I went and talked to a therapist who suggested that I treat my panic attacks through breathing exercises instead of medication. It has been 6 months since I stopped taking Yaz, and I am getting back to normal. This past fall was a struggle and the panic attacks would still come back once in awhile.
My new obgyn said that the effects of Yaz can be in a person's body for 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, just depends on the individual.
If you are suffering from panic attacks or depression after taking Yaz, please know that it will get better, but it does take time.

I'm 17 years old and was on Yaz for two years for PMDD, well a month and a half ago my prescription ran out, and my doctor had switched from private practice to a public company, so i couldn't get a new prescription because i wasn't considered a "current" patient and had to go see her first.
Well since I've been off, life has been a true hell. I've gone into a terrible depression, with panic attacks, i feel lazy, my body is always fatigued, i don't sleep well, my mood is always sad :-( and i cry for no reason!! When im regularly a very upbeat energetic person who's always out doing things, I'm 17 after all! And I play sports every season and go to the gym almost everyday usually! But since i quit Yaz im having these terrible "withdrawals" and i don't feel like me :'( . I'm very withdrawn and depressed. I'm hoping these side effects stop soon and Yaz will be outta my system, but i know i'll definitely not being going on Yaz after this, and maybe even no birth control at all. It's just not worth the hormonal effects.

I was on yaz for 5 months and it gave me panic attacks and anxiety like you wouldn't believe. There is a forum for people trying to come off of this nightmare pill.

Good luck to all who are trying to come off of this! I'm one and a half months off now, and still fighting to get back to normal.

I've found accupuncture to be helpful in alleviating the symptoms after stopping the pill.
I'm also trying magnesium, b6, dong quai and evening primrose oil.

I was prescribed Yaz postpartum 3 years ago. I took it for 3 mos. and switched to Triphasil because of headaches, spotting, and moodswings. I honestly was not sure if it was the Yaz or simply just being a new mom. After I kept seeing (TV ads) and hearing all the wonderful things "Yaz can do for [me]," I decided to switch back a year and a half ago. By far, the worst decision I made and I have just recently figured this out. For a solid year and a half, I have experienced depression, panic attacks, anxiety, sleeplessness, not able to focus or think clearly, absolute zero sex drive....all the symptoms that all of you are experiencing. It is such a relief to have a forum like this to realize that you are not crazy and alone. I feel rotten to think what I have put my family through and how all of this could have been avoided. The worst part is when I called my OB-GYN asking him if he was aware of other patients experiencing these symptoms, his explanation was that I was having PMS or PMDD and prescribed Prozac for me for which I declined. I was shocked and felt really helpless. I went off of Yaz on my own this past Sunday. I swear, I feel so much better already. It may totally be in my head, but I really do feel so much better. I would not recommend this pill to anyone, not even my worst enemy.

MAN,

Am I glad to be reading this to know that I am not the only person this has happened to. I started taking Yaz ~4 years ago. Just recently, I almost ruined a year long relationship with a great guy because I would snap at him for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Anger would build up inside me and he would say one small thing to me and I would just snap! I'd cry over the dumbest things, and I got headaches ALL the time. I have been sleeping all the time as well. HA! Great when you are in your senior year of college and getting ready for Med School, and all you do is sleep. I finally asked my doctor who told me to immediately stop taking them because I had WAYYY to much estrogen in my body. But anyways, good luck to all of you ladies, and thank you for making me feel better about this whole Yaz fun :-)

I am so thankful to have found this site! I seriously thought I was losing my mind. I am 28 and was on YAZ for about 1 1/2 years. Several months ago, I started experiencing debilitating migraines, including numbness in my face and hands and blurred vision. I have never had migraines in the past. I was terrified and started thinking that I had an aneurysm or something. I also had zero sex drive. I have been dating the same guy now for over 2 years and I love him dearly. I felt bad for him, but just never felt in the mood. After doing some research, my boyfriend and I found several websites listing all of the horrible side effects of YAZ. I was horrified! Women with aneurysms, one needing a heart transplant because of this awful pill, migraines, no sex drive, and the list goes on.......Tons and tons of women experiencing the same horrible things I was. While on YAZ I had become a zombie. I was moody and grumpy towards everyone. I didn't enjoy anything of the things I used to. I am a very fortunate person, with a wonderful family, boyfriend, job, etc. and have no reason to feel the way I was feeling. My family and boyfriend have since told me that they were afraid to even talk to me when I was on the pill (which makes me feel horrible!). I am not normally a mean person. After reading the countless horror stories from women on YAZ and a trip to the ER looking for relief from my worst migraine yet, I decided to quit YAZ cold turkey. The only, and I mean ONLY, good thing that came from it was that my skin was the clearest it has ever been. I have been off the YAZ for almost 2 months now and am feeling horrible again! The first week or so, I felt AMAZING! I was insanely giddy and happy, laughing at everything and totally enjoying my life! I felt like myself again. I got my period almost immediately and it was brief. However, this month (my second since coming off of the poison pill, as I now refer to it) has been miserable. My giddiness has totally disappeared, leaving a depressed, moody, frustrated soul in total despair! My face immediately started breaking out and not just normal pimples, I have these horrible cysts and can't even stand to look at myself. My skin is super oily now. I haven't gone to work the last two days because I can't bear to face anyone! I am normally a good employee who works hard and I don't like to call off of work. I love my job. But, I am at an extreme low and would prefer to just stay in bed (which is not me at all). I feel worse than before and am convinced that I must have some sort of hormone imbalance. I seem to be stuck in a permanent PMS and my period just won't seem to come and relieve my symptoms. It is a nightmare! I have an appt. with my OBGYN next week and am insisting on hormone testing. I need to get my body back to functioning normally. I'm sorry to go on and on. I just feel so helpless and am desperate to feel like myself again. I feel so sorry for my family and my boyfriend. I want my life back!!!! I will never go near another BCP in my life, especially not YAZ!!

Hi
Try reading this thread:
http://www.steadyhealth.com/Side_effects_of_stopping_the_birth_control_pill___depression__t89753.html

It might help you out :-) and remember, you are not going crazy and it will pass. It just might take a while.

Omg! I'm so happy I found this forum! I was on yaz for a year and got off them for a month now and I've never been so depressed. I don't even know myself and cannot explain why I cry for the dumbest things, I ruined my engagement with my bf of 3 years and having problems with my parents. I've lost a job and can't seem to control my anger. At first yaz was amazing. It kept me so happy go lucky, I loved it. My doctor doesn't seem to believe it is the yaz but I know it is. After reading all these replies I feel a weight has been lifted from me. I've been getting panic attacks and breathing problems. Anxiety is at an all time high. Thank u for the help! I hope it goes away soon! :-)

I have been on Yaz ever since it was first offered. I swear by this BC! I have become the person I SHOULD be, because of this. It treats my symptoms of PMDD and makes me function the way a normal person should while on their period. I am off of it now, because we are trying to conceive, but so far have had no side effects.