New Reply New Topic Followed by 30 people

Ive read many posts on the issue but none have related to my issues that Im concerned about. I was diagnosed with sciatica about a year ago and MY experience was very different from these posts but according to the doctors very typical of the disorder. My pain began after a lower back injury and started in the middle of my butt cheek and radiated down my right leg. Some times was worse than others. I got no relief from the combination of pain meds (oxycodone) and anti-inflammatories and excersize. I figured it just had to run its course and then it would be over. I asked if there would be long term affects and I was ASSURED that usually once the pain is managed and it works itself out that it may come back again later but as far as lasting affects there were none. I kinda felt like the doctor was saying (between all the terminology and facts) 'yeah, yeah, we all get pain lady. Buck up'. She said she had the same thing and almost everyone will at some point experience this. I chalked it up to her having a long/bad day and maybe she was just tired of people complaining all the time. Who knows? After that, I did a lot of research online but still never came across lasting affects from it. At least none of the affects Im experiencing so Im wondering if it may be something else. Well I am having this numbness on the back side of the affected leg, mainly through the lower leg. My toes have numbed and the feeling hasnt returned since (which is why Im linking this with the sciatica but could it be describing another issue that may be being masked by the sciatica event?) My pinky toe is most numb then the next 3 three toes are pretty numb and my big toe is a little less numb. The outer half of that foot all the way around is numb and tingly. Aaaawwww man, the tingling!!!! So weird. Im also getting muscle spasms throughout that leg and mainly in my butt right where I was feeling the original sciatica pain. When I flex my foot (like pointing your toes downward) or if I twist my leg (like to change direction) it feels like something is pulling a string that is connected from my butt muscle to my calf muscle cuz I can feel it all the way up and down. Its not pain but it feels so alien that I notice it and suddenly stop doing that action as if it were painful. I feel all this mostly when Im in bed. Also ever since the sciatica my skin on the top of my feet, yes both, itch like crazy. None of this is painful but its really irritating and I dont want to hear that its just one of those things Ill have to live with now, even though Im thinking that may be the case. Could it be anything else? Diabetes? or some degenerative disease? At this time I dont have any insurance to be able to afford a doctor but if I can get an opinion Im sure I can research online what I may be able to do about it, whatever it MAY be. I also have uncontrolled high blood pressure. Might it be related to that?

DistinctivelyMe...?

I had my first bout of sciatica 2 yrs ago (I'm 49, healthy, 200# 6'2" male). Left leg, pretty severe pain. My foot did experience some degree of numbness initially but over time that went away (but it takes forever.....like a 1 yr period!). The WORST part of it for me (besides the initial radiating sciatic pain) was the absolute frozen foot feeling. Felt like my left foot was dunked in ice water for hours at a time; occurred for many months and especially after any activity (walking etc). Eventually the cold foot feeling subsided. I'm certain the numbness (and cold foot sensation) you are feeling is all associated with the sciatica. My fault was that I never went to a physicval therapist after the first sciatica in 2005....so last week (Dec 2007) I had another severe bout of left leg sciatica (worse than the first time) and now the bottom and side of my left foot are semi-numb and weak, very scary. And the frozen left foot feeling is back with avengence. Very hard to do my daily work (mainly lots of thinking/computer work and walking). I see the neurosurgeon this week (with MRIs in hand) and will ask him about the numbness & cold feet issue. It's true that for most of us time and proper exercise/therapy is the best treatment for this condition, though it's always good to speak to reliable neurologest and neurosurgeon specialists.

Thanks for everyone's posts on this subject of sciatica and foot numbness. I thought I was losing my mind! A week ago I pulled my lower back slightly, no big deal. 4 days later I slid a heavy box across the floor at work with my left leg (what was I thinking!?). The next morning all living heck broke loose! Severe, severe pain from left butt check shooting down the leg. Could not sit to go to the backroom without screaming in pain. After 2 days, I learned that heat is the worst thing for this situation. Then after one hour of 10 minutes on / 10 minutes off of ice packs and (1) Aleve tablet, the whole situation subsided, leaving me with a numb left leg and foot from the knee down, exactly as posted previously. Pinky toe the worst, tops of feet tingling (as if asleep). Well I have an appointment in 3 days with a neurologist. I've been told by a layperson to lie on the floor on my back in a "T" shape and try to touch each foot to the opposite hand. I'm afraid, quite frankly, to try this and will discuss it, first, with the neurologist. Good luck everyone. I'm 52 years old and would rather give birth than have a sciatic episode again in this lifetime. Aunt Vic

I just wanted to say I cried with relief when I read the topic. I've been battling sciatica for about a year but only the last month or so has the pain been so bad I wanted to die!! I've delivered 3 children through natural childbirth and believe me when I say that this pain was much worse. What was so scary to me is that now that the pain is being managed by pain killers, muscle relaxants and chiro appts., I've got this awful numbness all the way down the side of my leg and half of my right foot - especially the last 2 toes. Nobody has been able to explain it to me and not knowing anything about it or even how long it can last has been frustrating to say the least. I'm a 46 year old woman with high blood pressure which is under control by medication. However when the pain hits it goes sky high.

Thanks all for letting me know I'm not so alone :-D

I has the exact same pain as everyone is describing--However, Feb 2007 I had disectomy and since that time, 1 year, I have had just the numbness and slight pain. The surgery relieved my pain but caused the numbness that wasnt there before.

So now I am stuck--not sure what to do. Nuero says it takes time and he isnt sure why now I have numbness. So back to square one. If this doctor doesnt know why I have numbness and he did my surgery then I think it is time to find a new doc.....

Good luck to all of you and be wise in your decision...

I have an appointment with the Neurologist, and I've had an MRI done, which the results are inconslusive.

I went to my doctor say 3 weeks ago, because I was numb from the waste down, then down my left leg and to the foot. Aching was the feeling associated with the numbness. The bottom of my left foot was cold, and my smallest toes on the outside were numb. The numbness seemed to travel down underneath the leg. I recently went for a 45 walk, and the last 5 minutes I found not just my foot dragging, but my entire left leg seemed to not want to keep up. I do have a weak left ankle that I've rolled badly over the years, which makes me think it may be a link to my problems.

About one month ago I hurt my lower back and it was stiff and painful for
a few days until the pain subsided. I was in the act of bending over and pulling a shoe over my heel. The following week I believe I had a muscle spasm in my left foot, the same three toes that are now numb. It was the worst most painful muscle spasm I've ever had, I had to literally pull my toes into normal position. So because of this spasm I'm not sure if I have an injury from the spasm or maybe sciatica.

I got a second opinion and both doctors say to go to the Neurologist. And one wants me to go to physical therapy to watch body mechanics. I was told to buy a better computer chair, watch for repeated body activity in my back and leg regions, and begin some activity etc.. I'm fairly active, but don't practice a regular exercise routine.

I haven't been diagnosed as having sciatica as of yet, but it looks like I may be. Any opinions?

hi guys, i have pretty much the same thing except im only in my 20s. ive pretty much managed my sciatic pain - after 2 years! my sciatic pain was caused by my disc protusion at L4/L5. these days im getting numbness in my pinky toe which supposedly means there is pressure on S1 which is the next disc down..

not sure how to reilieve pressure on the S1 though..

I am new to this site as was JUST diagnosed w/ sciatica this past week and am miserable. I don't have pain down the leg, but my doc told me that may happen. Have been on steroids fro 3 days (w/ no relief), pain meds, and a muscle relaxer. None of these seem to touch the pain when it comes on.
I injured my back years ago while lifting, and it has been stiff and sore since then, but never pain like I am having now- esp. when getting up after sitting in a soft chair- or out of bed in the morning. It is like a knife sticking in. I don't have any pain down my leg (yet), but the doc said this could happen.
I am supposed to fly out tomorrow to visit family and hoping that I will be able to. And now I read that this can last for mos? The doc told me it could last several weeks...
My physician told me that I may need PT and then if still no better they will do an MRI. I would prefer the MRI first... I really want to know what the actual inury is.
Thanks for this chat board- I appreciate reading about others experiences even if it is distressing.

I have the same problem. Left leg dragging. Numbess and slight weakness in both legs. I have been scared by the symptoms as it is my livelihood at stake.

I was wondering if anyone has tried benfotiamine? I thought the testimonials looked promising.

benfotiamine.org/testimonials.htm

I have no ties with it or anything and have never used it - but if anyone has tried it - and if anything happened that would be of interest.

Thanks

Great posts everyone. Here's my dilemma if anyone can help out. My father has been battling tingling, loss of leg strength, and severe lower back pain for years. In the past 2 years he has begun using a walker, and his left leg dragging on the floor, when he was even able to walk that is. 2008 has not been good. Top it off, 2 weeks ago he got shingles. The weird thing, is that his shingles don't hurt where the sores are. What they seem to have done is completely writhe him in pain and he has been in bed for 3 weeks. He has been going to Johns Hopkins for years, but they are baffled. His legs spasm all the time. He is in constant pain/discomfort and it seems to be getting worse. Doctors are baffled.

Can anyone relate to something like this or have seen this. He has an appt with the pain specialist at Johns Hopkins next week, 5/7. Thanks for any help.

I tried accupuncture and have improved my pain from sciatica in under a week, however the numbness on my small toe is now present but improving daily. I lifted a AC unit above my shoulders by myself, should have never done that. I would recommend trying accupuncture with natural herbs for the pain.

I suffered from severe Sciatica pain about 4 years ago. The pain in the buttocks was the worse pain, also down the calf. I have never felt such agonising pain in my life.
After suffering in agony I was eventually sent to a Pain Control clinic, where I had over a period of months several injections in my spine that were called Root Blocks. These definately helped the pain. But like many others I am left with numb toes. Mine is mainly the large toe and the next two. They have been numb now for three years, I also have numbness in my left foot but not so severe.
I to this day still get the pain in the buttock but not nearly so severe.
I worked all my life in the construction industry, but am no longer able to do this.

Hi, I'm 27 years old and have also suffered from severe back pain caused from 2 herniated dics that sat on my sciatic nerve. I'ts been 4 mths and I still have numbness in my leg. During the winter I tried to walk 4 blocks home from work when I lost all feeling in my leg. My foot turned almost completely around and I fell to the ground. I wasn't suffering from any pain but I couldn't feel my leg and I had to drag my leg. I fell 5 times and I even had to crawl over a snowbank. I was always a very active person and now a can't even take my daughter for a bike ride. A 1/2 an hour bike ride resulted in a weeks worth of pain and limping at work. I'm thinking about surgery because I don't want to be on pills for the rest of my life.

Like many of you, I suffer from the left leg pain, tingling and numbness most likely cuase by7 sciatica. I can deal with the pain; however, my left foot drags when I run. I am a marathon runner and just last year added biking to the mix. Before I starting biking, I had the nagging leg pain with some numbness in my leg and foot as I trained for my last marathon. Once that was over, I stopped running and started biking long distances. I had a few spills, and hurt my back more than once. Since then, I am experiencing a dragging foot when trying to run. So, now my physical therapy is swimming and pool jogging as well as yoga. However, I do not have any specific exercises I can do at home that may help the situation. If you have had this experience and are aware of specific exercises, I would appreciate you sharing them with me.

Thank you.