New Reply New Topic Followed by 30 people

I went thru 10-12 days in agony with back spasms, it maybe was less or more as I truly wanted to die. No joke! My right thigh or should say part of it is still numb a year later. I'm beginning to think it is what it is.

I kno exactly what you mean, I went thru this for 8-10 days and I would rather give birth also. Mine was on the right side. No amount of pain meds seemed to help. I even asked the Dr. to inject botox in my butt. Part of my thigh is still numb, a year later.

I am 20 and dealing with the same issue. I am a college athlete and I really hope there is a way to get rid of this numbness. Please help

I feel your pain... Ive been suffering for 2 months my world has been turned upside down especially having two little girls that I need to take care of my husband does help but I can tell he has had enough after so long.... I went to the hospital they had me on steroids hydrocodone oxycodone Valium and other muscle relaxers that I cannot pronounce and nothing has helped my friend has been coming out of her way to give me massages and I must say it has been helping...with a pain relief balm ( not icy hot) if you can find someone to give you a real good deep tissue massage in that leg I promise you it should help it has helped me more than all the medicines that doctors have prescribed even acupuncture..... Im still suffering but at least I can take a shower without crying

I've had the same problem, and I work out too. The pain stopped after a month, but my foot still feels numb sometimes.

Could you let me know your outcome?
I had sciatica espiode 3 years ago and my right foot and big toe feel frozen side leg numb

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I had severe sciatic pain from my left buttock down to the thigh, calf, and foot. It has been 6 months since the first onset. I have taken prednisone, had MRI, dozens of physical/manual therapy sessions, tried dry needling, ice, heat, massage, and the pain has lessened due to the lifestyle changes and reduced activities. However, all these were only temporary reliefs and the sciatic nerve was pinched periodically impairing my lifestyle. I even went to an orthopedic surgeon to see if I need surgery. All until a few weeks ago, out of desperation to try something I would have never fathom before, I abandoned my bed and started sleeping on the hardwood floor (covered by carpet, yoga mat, and couple of layers of bedding). Immediately after the first night, I felt 50% less pain. After 10 days sleeping on the floor (on my back with small pillow under the legs to raise the knees slightly and a fold-up towel as a pillow), my sciatic pain disappeared and my back pain went with it as well. I used to have to stretch my back several times each day and I used to have to apply ice and heat after working out. No more! I'm never going back on the bed again.

I have Sciatica, from the but down to the calf area. At first I took an oral steroid and was issue PT, the first diagnosis was that I only had a bulging disc. During my PT one of the exercises was situps, after the steroid wore off I was in extreme pain, I could not stand or walk. I tried sleeping on the floor and nothing was helping. Finally they gave me an MRI, they found I had a herniated disc L5-S1 and three bulging disc above in the lumbar region. They then issued an epidural injection about 4 weeks ago, Since that time I still have pain but my management technique is the following, twice a day exercises and stretching, inverting 12 minutes twice a day, still icing the lumbar region after exercising and walking once a day, using a tens unit on the places it hurts once or twice a day. When I was walking incorrectly and the leg started to straighten out, I then hyperextended my knee and calf, now I'm wearing knee brace and calf compression sleeve.
This episode in my life has been tough, changing so much in daily activities to endure it. After the first shot it felt like it didn't work but as time now I'm able to walk and stand, but I can still feel the pain at certain moments. I only take ibuprofen or advil if the pain is hard or as preventive measures if I know I need to coach and will be pushing longer than my body is capable. My first doctor wants to see how it progresses but since I was bed bound and not walking or standing on Feb 22 and now able to get to work and do these exercises each day I keep thinking I'm improving, I try not to eat salt or sugar, I hydrate myself constantly, I stop drinking alcohol, take multi vitamins, drink orange juice 3 times, eat Blueberries, pumpkin seeds, peacans which are natural anti-inflammatory.
Unless you been down this road and truly understand dealing with this pain on a constant basis people don't understand how debilitating it is and avoiding surgery is a must but at times this can't be avoided. It's a slow process but you have to take the small increments of improvement and stay positive. Stress is something to be avoided because it will tighten your muscles and make matters worse.
I will try anything for relief or to get to the point this is not on my mind each day from getting out of bed and wondering when you step on that floor if there is pain.
Stay strong!

Hi DistintinctivelyMe...?52186 , and "Guest". I had my first last September when I was rushed to the hospital and was wheeled in because I could barely walk. They did MRI's and ran other test and x-rays and saw that I also had spinal arthritis in conjunction with severe case of sciatica. What was worse, I notice severe itching after the hospital, all the time mainly in the wee hours of the morning I had to strip naked and itch my entire body and my skin whales up then disappears after about 30 mins, it has been horrible!!! However I found out that some thing that has never happened since my birth...it turns out since sciatica, I am allergic to the pain killing ingredients in all 5 pain killers, even local over the counter pain killers. It took a while before I realized this and stopped. The hospital referred me to a neurologist and a surgeon, but I refused surgery as everyone I spoke to except 2 persons told me their loved ones never got out of a wheelchair since their surgery. I have to still endure the pain, and with a combination of the arthritis and sciatica, I can't walk fast, sometimes I can barely walk, I experience the same numbing all over my body, muscle spasms, nerve crawling all over my body and sharp sudden terribly horrible pains all over my body plus the itching. I take 1 benadryl dye free caplet if I begin to itch and it helps. I take one before bedtime so I can get even 2-3 hours sleep, my nights are toss and turn trying to find comfortable positions to sleep in. Sometimes the pain flares up so bad the tears drop out of my eyes, I cry because I don't know what to do with myself because there is nothing you can do, no position I can take to stop it, I get up and slowly walk around crying because the pain freezes up my back ad I can barely make small slow steps. I kn ow the arthritis is only going to get worse, but God is able to heal me. Sometimes I feel as if someone branded me with a hot iron on my right thigh (sciatica on my right side) and I also feel it at the same time on my left shoulder. What I endure is horrible but I am trying to live with the pain, its been 9 months now and sometimes it is unbearable. I also have the symptoms lately on both sides and sitting down to work from home or at my seasonal job with taxes is unbearable but what can I do, I still have to live and work. Working from home is best for me because I can jump on the bed or take a break if I am not feeling well because sometimes it makes my body feel sick and I have lost over 100 lbs because it kills my appetite. If I have to stand with pain to cook, I can't eat the food and it goes to waste, I can't even eat it any other time so I have stopped cooking and just go with whatever I have a feel for, and sometimes by the time I get what I feel for and the pain which doesn't leave rises up, I can't eat it until maybe later, my appetite switches.

I sympathize with everyone dealing with this. Working out is a way of life since I was 18 years old till I am now 55 years old and still active trying to live with the pain, and my gym membership is charged every month but I can't even stretch, get pedicure massages or I have to deal with the flareup that night till about close to 3 weeks. I am happy to see these posts to know that I am not the only one dealing with this pain, but we all are alive and that's what matters, God is good all the time and faithful to keep us going strong regardless. If God takes you to it...to deal with this health tragedy, then He will take you through it and see you through it! Be blessed everyday of your lives!

Cherylle-Anne

I forgot to mention the frozen feet and swollen feet all the way up my shin. I think that this is a circulation issue, but if I sleep for even half hour it disappears, this might be because of my lack of sleep being up for so many hours trying to defend my sleep and my 24 hours from this pain. Sometimes I feel like someone takes sharp knives and pierce my body at different times different places on my body, or use a huge meat syringe to push all the way down my half numb big toe and I have to cry out at how painful these things are. The nerve communicates to the brain and the brain with the rest of the body, so your entire body experiences it. Sometimes feel like insects crawling at different places on my body and I watch the spot to see it sometimes jumping a little. Oh well!!!

Cherylle-Anne

New Member
1 post
Don't abandon your bed, its not the bed that caused it. Please research and don't let sciatica rob you of your beautiful rest on your bed.

Cherylle-Anne

Good Morning, I was diagnosed more 10 years with Spinal Stenosis & tried every shot that is available & nothing works or even close to what I"m feeling everyday burning numbness & tingling plus when it'\'s going to rain I get a nerve pain & pulling on my right leg. so to inform you but as the day goes by I get worse & worse disgusted

Hi I am suffering from the same exact problem.....if I walk to quickly or even attempt to jog my foot goes really heavy and starts to drag....are you still experiencing the same pain?

Hi I'm new in here I have suffered with sciatica for 3 years,most of the pain and numbness have gone but still left with a bit,I also have had severe leg cramps in the same leg for the past 6 months which are horrendously painful,my Gp gave me quinine which have really helped still get them but not as many,I was getting up to 50 spasms a day

u need surgery mate as its only going to get worse,,look into a microdiscemtoy and the DIAM implant,,thats wat i had and im brand new again,,aprt from bit of numb foot