New Reply New Topic Followed by 18 people

Can you tell me what vertebrates were fused. Different levels affect different areas. I'm fused all but between the c2-c3 disc. I'm very good with issues from post surgery. Also you're not to far from John Hopkins Medical Center in Maryland.

I would really appreciate other patients input. I had C3-C8 done in Sept. Am having such a hard time with depression, pain swallowing, and just dealing with life. I was very active before this. They had me on percocet for 6 months and then said go to pain management which my regular doctor thinks isn't right for me. So I'm goin to ENT (ear, throat, nose) doctor tomorrow to find out why I feel like I have strep throat/can't swallow. I'm so depressed about it all. I can't seem to have any energy to do what I used to – artwork, gardening, etc. I so regret getting this done. It has wrecked my life. Logically I know I had to do it. The bone was too soft and I was one minor accident away from a more serious problem. Do any of you feel this way?Thanks. BTW I'm so sorry for so many of you having such difficulty. The person having to deal with bent loose screws is so awful!

That is so scary that you would have bent screws and it sounds so painful. I'm sorry to say I have no suggestions as my issues are listed below. I do so hope you get some relief – you have a long life ahead of you – but I know you want it without so much pain.

Almost the same boat but just 3 levels. Had surgery Aug. 2016 and am miserable. I'm 64 HWP with no prior injuries. Trifecta with chronic pain, nausea and headache. OTC's are useless. But it was surgery or paralysis. I wish everyone contemplating this experience the best outcome and healing for those suffering.

I just had a CDF surgery at the Brigham and women's hospital on March 17. I feel like I'm doing pretty good but still have the pain at the bottom of the back of my neck and very tired after minimal activity. At three weeks do you think I should be off the pain medication?

I had a triple ACDF in March 6th 2 months ago) C4-5, 5-6 and 6-7, and neck and shoulder pain started this week! Wearing a bone stimulator also!! Did your dr say what is causing this??

I very much agree. I had the same surgery 6 months ago and am in more constant pain now than before the surgery. I wish I never got sucked in to letting the Thief I mean Doctor perform it.

I left hospital day after my surgery

I had a triple ACDF in April (3months ago) C4-5, 5-6 and 6-7, and have had neck and shoulder pain ever since.  I wore a bone stimulator for 2.5 months?

I did the same,neck fusion and plate installed and it's 2 weeks now.
My right hand and shoulder still pains like hell,I don't know what to do.
Follow up in a few days,will see what doc has to say.

Oh Miss Chris- I am so sorry for your pain and suffering! I had acdf C4-5-6, cage, screws, donor bone, plate - I am 42 yr old female, mother of three (older ones 19,16 &17) deals and has pretty much since early 30s, with pain everyday either for DDD and associated issues in entire back, flat feet, knees so misaligned I would need a total reconstruction, left butt sciatica due to probable right hip labral tear (just getting this going) if it ain't one thing it's another daily.
Almost One year post of for acdf and was very happy with my results EXCEPT the annoying "lump" in my throat that has made me vomit (3 weeks post op) then subsided a few months ago and is now back to occasional vomiting. The post op pain in throat is long gone. Went to Ent did both bari/ esophagram (had terrible reflux, I believe because of the meds at first) and now a terrible cycle because my throat is always making me salivate etc, but he just wouldn't listen to me and told me I had GERD and treated me for that (I didn't go back). I just finally came across a site that had the "other small percent" of us that can have irritation due to the plate (even though it is only mm thin) I believe my throat is in a constant state of irritation. I am also a singer and have not since been able to sing without either weakness or discomfort and no matter what I eat I constantly have reflux- I can't even enjoy a cocktail anymore :(
Now I have started having nerve issues with tingling AGAIN in my arms from the elbows down into my middle fingers. I am crying as I write this...I am miserable!!
I just saw the surgeon again and he has informed me the the disc below my fusion is now going...T3? Maybe honestly I was just so upset I wasn't paying that much attention HOWEVER, he did say that he would be willing (when I can no longer stand this new bs going on and he does the surgery on this disc (was a little funky before the acdf) he will also take out the plate for me- no guarantee of coarse, but at least it's something to look forward to because they don't like to do this I often I read. I had some facet blocks today and the tingling is actually worse :( more injections than I care to recall. I am taking nucynta 50mg (it kind of helps) just started neurotin at night here and there (don't think works for me much) I hate meds so I don't take any until I can't stand it. Would I do it again? Absolutely -the pain I had prior to acdf was much worse including the throat issues..but boy its very depressing day in day out ...I remind myself just keep swimming, just keep swimming, you are not alone, this too shall pass, have crying pitty parties for myself, take a shower, get the kids to doctor in an hour even tho I haven't selpt a wink all night, I'll sleep when I'm dead! (Joke...please smile :)
Best wishes to you ....give it time and do what you have to

How are you feeling now? I am 6 weeks post surgery & am having horrible ear pain.

I am a 42 year old female that had a ACDF at C4-C5. I had surgery January 9th 2017. Although I am a workers comp case. They forced me to wait 3 years to have surgery. I had/have severe pain in shoulder blades down back of my upper arms down to the forearms and into hands and fingers except my pinky ones. I have to say after surgery I had ONLY 9 days of no pain and feeling healthy. Now I am awaken all hours of the day. I struggle just performing daily task. I have done the physical therapy that would take me two to three days to get over and then its PT time again. I have a tinge unit and ice and heat packs at home that really doesn't help. The tips of my fingers except for my pinky finger stays numb on both sides. so now I am being referred to a pain management doctor. My surgeon said there is nothing else surgically he can do. I continue with large amounts of meds that are to help with nerve pain. and i have what feels like electricity that jolts through my arms and hands and fingers that makes them jump . odd feeling i hope to get some relief I want to go back and have a normal life!!!!

Yes my husband had an Anterior Cervical Discectomy Fusion on May 15 the of this year to correct c4, C5 and C6. They used cadaver bones and put in a titanium plate to hold the fusion together. He's going to therapy 3 days a week. His left arm is getting better but now his right arm doesn't work. He's had a MRI and a cat scan since surgery and everything is just as it should be. He's going to have a steroid injection in the nerves of his right arm. He wears a hard collar plus uses a bone stimulator 4 hours everyday. His neck still hurts and the bicep in his right arm is gone. I sure hope someone out there has some welcomed suggestions

I had a 3 level asdf with graft and removal of C5.. my presurgery pain is gone but my left shoulder left side of neck and traps are killing me I'm 11 days post op!