New Reply New Topic Followed by 20 people

So, my problem started six months ago when I had a bad UTI. I was put on antibiotics, but still felt some mild discomfort afterwards. I wasnt sure it was a UTI, so I waited a few weeks to go back to the doctor. After going back, I found out I still had some bacteria in my urine, and was put on more antibiotics. They got rid of the bacteria, but not the symptoms. The symptoms actually seemed to get worse. The area around my urethra feels sore, and not only when I urinate. I eventually went to a urologist and had a cystoscopy, but the doctor said everything looked fine. But, Im still having mild discomfort and I dont know what it is. I have to drink lots of water, because it feels worse when my urine is concentrated. It also feels worse if my bladder has been empty a while. Does anyone have any ideaas?

I seem to have exactly the same thing, with the same basic history. I've been treated for UTI, but the treatment didn't help, nor did the associated symptoms explain the severe discomfort I experience when just walking around/sitting down.

In other words: HELP!

Guest number one and two, are you males or females???? I am a felame and Ive been having the same problem you described for a while now.It comes and goes. Tests do not show anything. It just upsets me like hell when it happens again.Can somebody help?

I am also female with the same issues. I've been living with this for about 3 years now and I've been through a couple of urologists. Started with UTI, which was successfully treated, but the painful urination seemed to persist. I have to drink lots of water every day to keep the pain away and sometimes not even that works. I've had a cystoscopy with no results. I would love to hear a helpful reply to what in the world this could be.

For the other posters: does anyone else suffer from polycystic ovary syndrome with insulin resistance? I have been diagnosed with that and I've wondered if the insulin resistance is in any way related.

Hi, i'm a 22 year old female and I've been experiencing everything you said for some months. It started little after i begun my sexual life. I was diagnosed for UTI 2 times and treated for it. Third time it didn't show any microorganism in my urine and the symphtoms have persistent since. They come and go depending on whether i drink little water or not.
If my bladder is empty for a long time, it will hurt a lot. The trick is to avoid empty bladder at all costs and drink water all the time. It keeps the pain away but i'm not sure if it is the cause for the pain. I would like to know the real cause so it can be treated but it seems there is no cure for this. It's a not well known desease.

I too am suffering an itchy urethra and strange tingling feeling also. I have a frequent urge to urinate with occasional pain in my bladder and feel like i still need to go even though there is nothing left. As if the muscle is damaged. The only thing that eases the discomfort is having a full bladder.
I have suffered from bouts of this since I became sexually active 5 years ago. I have not got an STD and had a urine test which revealed no bacteria. I was hoping it would be an std at least then it could be treated! Sex now is nearly impossible as I know what I will suffer afterwards.
Alcohol also seems to aggrivate it.

Has anyone found any cure for this as it is driving me mad at this stage and the discomfort makes me feel ill. :-(

I have this problem too, it started when i was on holiday where i thought it was cystitis the french pharmacy gave me cranberry capsules? which didn't seem to work a week later i finally flew home in a terrible state, i went to doctors who gave me antibiotics & sent a urine sample off, 3 days later i was worse than ever ( i was climbing the walls!!) i never got the burning pain but the feeling of needing the loo badly with nothing there and a crawling sensation in my urethra & my wee was like cloudy pineapple juice(even though i was drinking constantly). My partner called the GP to come out as it was a Sunday, he advised to stick with the antibiotics and never came!!. Two hrs later i was screaming with agony my partner kept getting me drinks but i stopped being able to pass water i was shivery and had back ache, we headed to A&E where i was admitted i threw up 4 times as the drink would not pass through, as a result i had to be put on a drip twice & given morphine for the discomfort, they then sent me home with different antibiotics and co cocodamol, thankfully these seemed to work, during the week my GP called to tell me my first urine test results were back and that i was on the wrong antibiotics!!!!! bit late for that. Anyway since then 2 years to be exact i have had 5 more attacks treated quickly though but its getting me down now, i never had problems before the first attack so why now??. I have a cystoscopy & bladder scan booked in a few weeks, but i just have the fear of suffering another infection as a result. I wish i knew why it keeps happening its so frustrating. As i write this my bladder is feeling sensitive.

Guest wrote:

I have the exact problem!! I went to see a urologist after the first month of my UTI, it just didn't feel right. Had a cystoscpy done and all he said was slight swelling and inflammation and was put on a low dose of cipro for 3 months because he said that the bacteria is sticky and needs more time to get rid of them but now i'm finished the antibiotic and i feel the same. I also get these sudden urges, i think coming from the urethra and my urethra feels like a open wound, it also makes it hard fro me to sit long. I also have constant urges, i guess that is because my bladder has some inflammation as well. If you have figured out what is wrong please let me know, thanks

Guest wrote:

So, my problem started six months ago when I had a bad UTI. I was put on antibiotics, but still felt some mild discomfort afterwards. I wasnt sure it was a UTI, so I waited a few weeks to go back to the doctor. After going back, I found out I still had some bacteria in my urine, and was put on more antibiotics. They got rid of the bacteria, but not the symptoms. The symptoms actually seemed to get worse. The area around my urethra feels sore, and not only when I urinate. I eventually went to a urologist and had a cystoscopy, but the doctor said everything looked fine. But, Im still having mild discomfort and I dont know what it is. I have to drink lots of water, because it feels worse when my urine is concentrated. It also feels worse if my bladder has been empty a while. Does anyone have any ideaas? [/q

I started with UTI four months ago. I got the urge to urine and burning pain afterwards. I was given antibiotics 3 times but the discomfort does go away. I could only feel better after good night sleep but my problem is I have insomnia since I had UTI and the sleeping pill works sometimes. Who can help me what's problem with me?

I have been having similar problems. I had UTI in February and it took about two months for it to go away. But even though the infection had cleared up I still had burning pain, mainly after I urinated. This pain was different from the UTI pain: it would go away at times, and there was no real frequency to urinate or pressure in my abdomen. The doctors tested me for UTIs, STDs, and yeast infections, and all results came back negative. The pain was still there. My doctor gave me a prescription for hyoscyamine, which is an anti-spasm medication. It seemed to help tremendously, but it is really just a band aid, just covering up the real problem. Supposedly irritation in the urethra/bladder causes it to spasm, which causes pain. I don't know what is causing the spasms, but I went to the urologist, and she said it may be that because the UTI took so long to heal, there is left over irritation from the infection. And acidic foods and drinks can make this more painful. I cut out the coffee and tea that I drink everyday, and the cranberry juice that I drank to get rid of the UTI, and this seemed to make a difference in the pain. I am going to try this diet and keep taking the hyoscyamine for a few more weeks to see if the pain goes away on its own. If it doesn't, there may be a more serious problem like a urethral stricture. The pain is definitely limited to the urethra, and it is ruining my sex life. It hurts to have sex, the pressure on the urethra is just too painful. I would suggest looking into this medication and cutting out acidic drinks for now, and I will post again in a few weeks if the pain has gone away or if the problem is something else. Good luck.

Can anybody advise?, two weeks ago I had 5 hour surgery, a vaginal hystorectomy, enterocele/pelvic floor repair, tvt and cystoscopy. Aside from the obvious discomfort, well pain to be exact, I had to come home for a week with a catheter, which irritated my bladder to hell, well now Im left with a terrible discomfort mainly from my urethua, sitting is a nightmare, walking even worse and it gets really bad as the day goes on, I do have substantial nerve damage to my bottom and right leg and the pain seems to come from the right side. Has anybody else had this? 8-|

Ok, all my life I have had urology issues. I have had IVPs, MRIs, tested for kidney reflux disease twice, and all kinds of other tests done. They all come out perfectly fine...Recently I was brought to the ER for a kidney stone, all was fine i had passed several pieces of stone and I was feeling better, two weeks later I again had to go to the er for what they said was an Uti, but when my urine culture came back it came back no specific bacteria....they told me to continue the medication and the pain should go away. A few days into the antibiotic it was making me feel ill, the doctor then told me to stop taking it and to go in for another urine analysis....well it came back no infection but I still am having incredible pain when I pee, when I stand, sit, do anything....just like a UTI..I have been drinking so much water and cranberry juice, it's a wonder that I am not peeing solely this. I have all the signs of an UTI but no infection...this pain is horrible, and nothing helps. If someone could help...It would be great..3

I have the same problems. I'm 40 and it's ruining my married sex life. :-(
Seems lots of folks here have this problem, but no one knows the answer.
I had recurring UTI's, but the last few times there were lots of red blood cells, but not white. Doc thought maybe it was urethritis (sp?). Haven't been to the urologist yet. It's painful to sit, wear pants, ugh, it's making life miserable.
I soooo don't want to have sex. :-(

Help.....

Is everyone reporting these symptoms female? If so, have you consulted an GYN or a urologist/gyn?

For example looking on the internet I found that:

A couple of the symptoms of Endometriosis include: "Urinary urgency, frequency, and sometimes painful voiding" & Lower back pain/abdominal pain & painful sex.

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease symptoms include abdominal pain, painful urination & painful sex.

Chlamydia can be asymptomatic, but later develop symptoms. It attacks the cervix AND the urethra. Symptoms vary among women, but some are a burning sensation during urination, painful sex, abdominal pain, or lower back pain. If found, it should be treated ASAP.

Anyway, I'm not a doctor so I'm not saying it's any of these things, just that there are conditions outside of the urinary tract that can have these symptoms.

As to PCOS, yes it is very related to insulin resistance.

Good luck.

Ladies-

I cannot express how much better it makes me feel to see that I am not crazy. Every time I go into the Urologist, the urin cultures are negative, and yet EVERY morning when I first go pee it burns. If I down two to three water bottles I am good at that point, and the symptoms go away. But, if I do not get enough water in me within a few hours, the burning will persist all day.

This all started when I sufferend from my 6th UTI in eight months. They treated the UTI with two months of antibiotics, and supposedly the cultures are clean now. I have not had a UTI since, but I have had continual symptoms.

I have been tested for UTI's, STDs, Yeast Infections, CT-Scan, Ultrasound, had a cystoscope, and more yet still there is nothing to be found. (However they did find three kidney stones -- does anyone else have stones? I was begining to think this might be due to those, but why would symptoms just suddenly start one day? I am sure I have had these stons for years)

I cannot agree more, the urthera always kind of feels like an open sore. I have tried Uva Ursi, calming teas, and everthing natural and nothing seems to relieve my symptoms. I am not a coffee, tea, or alcoholic drinker. I avoid spicy foods, and connot figure out why my poor bladder and urthera are always enflamed and sore.

The medication my urologist wants to put me on will make you loose your hair around your face, so I have tried everything before having to try this. I will let everyone know if these symptoms disappear with the new medication, however I am not looking forward to it.

If anyone has some ideas as to what is causing this problems, or what can make them go away naturally PLEASE HELP. This has been going on for a year now with no answers!!!