New Reply New Topic Followed by 40 people

I have recently been suffering from pain and discomfort in my lower back and have also came across a lump where it has been hurting most. At first i thought nothign of it becasue i do suffer from back and neck pains alot but this time it felt unusual. should i worry?

tadadee wrote:

I am actually sufferring from this same kind of pain in my lower back - with a small lump which feels like my muscle and feels as if it is loose - but its a lump in my lower back.

I too thought nothing of it - as I suffer from 6 slipped disks in my upper back and usually have pain from time to time with problems there - however when my pain pills can't even touch what this is - it make this a little worrysome. Any Help out there?

Well, there is a disorder or lets say a cyst that often causes pain in the lower back and is felt like a lump just above the butt crack. It is called pilonidal cyst.

It is thought that this cyst is actually an ingrown hair or hairs and if it gets infected, it may contain puss. It hurts most of the time at the lower spine, it may get red and some people even develop fever.

If the lump is not swollen and full of puss, you may try to perform sitz baths as they can decrease the chances of infection and puss accumulation. If the puss accumulates, then the cyst would have to be excised and drained by a surgeon.

Antibiotics unfortunately do not help in this case. It would be best if you saw a doc to determine what the lump was and where the pain was coming from!

I wish I could see a doc - however my doc is in India until the end of September - and the ER is just not the place for me.

However - in response to the idea that it may be a cyst - that may be possible if the pain were actually located there - the pain and the lump are actually on my left side above my hip bone.

I have a small lump on my left side of my lower back and now it is causing back pain ! I am going to see my doctor about this but till then I am freaked out! The lump is under my skin!!!

i, too, have this lump in the same spot as others have described...on the left side of my lower back just above my hip bone...i believe it is putting pressure on the muscles in my butt as well as i've had problems with pain in the left side of my butt for quite some time now.

I have the same problem w/ my back. It has been almost 6 months before I decided to take a stand for my health. I have been to numerous MD's and finally was told that it was a lipoma, a fatty benign (non-cancerous tumor) that is under the skin. It usually attaches itself to ligaments or muscles. Nothing takes the pain away, not even prescribed narcotics. I have finally scheduled an appt. w/ a general surgeon to have these tumors taken out. I started out w/ 1 and now have 3 on the left side. I can hardly get out of bed in the morning to go to work and then sit all day at my desk kills me. By the time I get home in the evening, I go to sleep so that I don't have to feel the pain. If I do stay awake, I am up all night w/ pain.
If you do not like the answers your Docs give you, take a stand & find the answer! No one can tell what kind of pain you are in & these Docs do not care as long as they are making a buck or two!

I've had the same thing. I find that icing the lump and massaging it seems to help a lot. I actually get several lumps that come and go and it when they touch the sciatic nerve I have severe pain, sometimes all the way down my leg. I've been told by chiropractors that they are tension lumps where the fibers come together to form the lump.

all those syptoms are the same as me ive had xrays and nothing showed up im still yet to go back to the docs to see what is wrong the only thing different with me is its on my right side and im very stiff and it all started after having my first son 17months ago

Hi all, I had similar symptoms...and Im now one week post surgery. It is called "pilonida cyst". You need to follow it up with your GP actually is best to see a syrgon/specialist, it can be really problematic and painful :-( It's an unfortunate disorder, will change your lifestyle. I found this site which was helpful kinda helful pilonidal.org

well i went to the docs he told me i have a narrowing of the spine which is pinching some nerves so i have been booked in to see a Orthapedic person which they will refer me to have a MRI so see what caused the narrowing.

i have the same problem, well my nodule is 8-10 in number and more in the right side than the left. they kind of move when you palpate them. many times they give me pain which radiates to the hip and down even to calf. they are actually called as back mouse. try google them and u might get some papers. the best solution is to remove them and do back strengthening exercises.

I have something similiar in the same place, above hipbone, like a bump, a definite bump. And it has been there weeks now, its not a ingrown hair that's for sure.

Will see doctor again about it, first time i went he said it was a bruise, but his bedside manner was very poor.

I had a polinydal cyst removed from the top region of my butt crack about 7 years ago. It never caused me any problems, pain etc. and I never even knew it was there until I went to join the military and the doc found it during my physical. So i had to have it removed. No issues post surgery either.
The lump I'm experiencing is the same as the others being described...its on the left side of my spine by about 2 inches, and in the small of my back area, about 5 inches north of the where I had the cyst removed. I'm pretty sure this is not another polinydal cyst because there is no surface markings. With the cyst, there was a small red dot in the center of it on the skin.
This definately sounds like the non-cancerous tumor that HKLINGLER is talking about. It becomes inflamed and then goes back down, and I can kind of move it around a little with my fingers, but its stays in the same area. I cant move it to the other side of my spine or anything. And the pain is tremendous. I can barely walk upright, I have to sleep on my back, and forget bending over. I have to squat to pick up anything off the floor. And just like the others mentioned, I havent found a drug yet that takes the pain away, and I have been prescribed many over the past 4 years or so. I just want to know why it hasnt been found by my doctor through the multiple MRI's and X-rays and physical therapy and chiro therapy and everything else that I have been put through...... I guess I now know what to mention to my doc when I go back next week

I tto have been dealing with a hard lump on both sides of my spine. I am not too sure what it is. They hurt at times and sometimes rubbing them makes it feel worse. I need to go see the doctor, but where I am from there is not too many good docs and I just hope they can figure out what it is. I can move these bumps around a bit in my back and am hoping they are not something I need to have surgery for. if anyone has any suggestions it would help. thanks