My 12 y.o. daughter has been complaining off and on of pain in her right side - she says it feels like her ribs - for a few months. She hadn't mentioned it for awhile and so I thought that it had gone away. I originally thought that perhaps it was because she carries a very heavy book bag that is more of a shoulder bag than a backpack. It also hurts more when she has been active, like cleaning her room. She mentioned it again the other day and then last night she mentioned that her breast on that side is noticeably smaller than the other. I understand that this can happen since I also have that problem. However, since it is on the same side of her body as the rib pain I am more concerned. She seems fine and even showed me that she can kick herself in the behind by jumping up and throwing her legs behind her and hit her behind (she is so talented) so I just don't know if it is serious or not. Can it just be growing pains? We just got health insurance and I am planning on taking her to our regular family doctor unless a specialist is warranted. She started her period 2 months ago as well. Thanks for any help.

I am curious to see what the verdict was on the rib pain, my 13 year old daughter is experiencing the same symptoms less the smaller breast, I am thinking growing pains possibly but like lojoships daughter it seems she can be quite active (famous for flailing and dancing around the house) and feel fine at the time and randomly this pain will return.

gall stones

I was wondering what the outcome with your 12 yr old daughter with rib pain was? My 11yr old is complaining of the same pain for a week now and Im getting worried. Dont know if I should take her to the doctor....

Don't worry too much. There are plenty of reasons for this. For example, anxiety can cause shooting pains and puberty can cause pain in the breast. If you are that worried then I suggest doctors or agony aunts. Hope this helps!

Growing Pains, rib area, legs and the pain from the constant aching was torture...some people have no idea, because they have never had them. I now have an 11 year old daughter going through the same thing...its awful, awful awful!

Yes take her to the doctor

Is the paina little bit lower like a inch

Mi 11 yr old daughter has the same complaint

My 11 year old daughter is going through the same pains right now.

Vitamin D deficiency is what springs to mind. Ask your Doctor for a blood test to rule that out.

My 12 year old daughter has same thing as well! Pain in ribs.......

And my 11 year old does too. Swaps from side to side. Has anyone had any answers?

Yes my daughter does as well she has had to take a day of off school as it is so painful and was crying any ideas ?

I have pain in my ribs too I think it is just caused by periods or you are going to start your period soon but it is not serious