it's been 2 weeks since i had a hemorrhoidectomy and my bm's are still SO painful... especially passing and wiping the area (sorry tmi). Yesterday it felt like i was passing a prickle bush. Is this normal? Has anyone else had a long time to heal from this surgery?

yes, that's normal. You shouldn't wipe after a BM. Yea, I know. but just dab with a bit of wet toilet paper, then jump in the shower. it's inconvenient, but far less painful. after the shower, you might soak in a hot bath for a while.

Hot sitz baths were the only true relief for me. Advil gel caps and keeping my feet elevated helped. My doctor recommended epsom salt to be added to the warm baths. I have much empathy for anyone who has had this surgery and can only say from experience that recovery will take longer than expected.

I had a Hemerrhoidectomy exactly 2weeks and 2 days ago. It was amazing pain having a big potty afterwards, I threw up in the sink hit the tile floor, my husband had to pick me up and put me in the tub. Baths, Baths, and more warm baths are your best friend right now. Also press and hold the skin and muscle between your anus and private part, lean forward with your elbows on your knees. Do not fight it and you will make it through. I have to have a second Hemerrhoidectomy because there were too many to remove at once, also a fissure- tear in my anus, so if I can make it through the pain you can too!!!! God bless our bumms!!!

Had the surgery 4 days ago and first few days wasnt too bad including first bowel movement on day 2. Must have been the tylenol 3s at work because my second bowel movement on day 4 was honestly hell. It took me two hours afterwards in sitz bath and bag of frozen peas and T3s just to get to managable pain level. Anus was throbbing and i have been experiencing an uncontrollable clenching when i relax enough to sleep. The clenching causes pain and then of course no sleep.....I am praying this was just a blip because first few days wasnt too bad....

I'm on my 2nd week now and as the same as everyone one else this is the worst pain i would recommend to never to use toilet paper and if you do only as a last resort when you are home you should be going straight to the shower and then washing the are clean and then hop into the bath.

One thing to remember though don't sit in the bath for a couple of hours as this will tend to make things worse when you hop out at it seems make the area sensitive and sting a lot more that it should. Just sit in for about 30mins in HOT water then get out and lie down on your stomach.

Hi, its been just over 4 weeks ago that I've had haemorrhoidectomy for Gr III piles. I feel much better now, but then occassionally experience pain while walking, prolonged sitting and during BMs. I also bleed during BM sometimes but not profusely just trickles, and the stool gets stained with wee amounts of blood from time to time...i am taking stool softeners and sitz baths but the doc has told me to stop taking antibiotiics after the second week..any advice will be greatly appreciated..

Can anyone tell me just how you're meant to heal when each time you have a bm it feels like you've just ripped everything open again? I don't get it. I'm 4 days post op and just feel like i will be like this forever! Made the mistake of having tomato soup yesterday and today my bms have felt like burning acid! Ice is my best friend right now. Tell me this will end please.

Felt the same way myself, obviously you have to poop so it goes with the territory. I actually did break the stitches, but it made no difference, it heals up just the same anyway.Hot water bottle helped me with the throbbing sensation. If i wasn't in the bath, i was sitting in the sitz bath (super hot water), watching tv, sounds gross, but anything goes to relieve pain after this surgery. Sitting on a super hot, hot water bottle helped too. heat heals, i was good after two weeks, still swollen, but able to venture out and not worried about screaming during bm.
I dk how anyone can recover in a hospital after this surgery you need to be home so you can move around and dive in a bath any time of the day or night.
good luck!

mbkg92 wrote:

good luck!

Didnt the heat just intensify the throbbing? I'm at a loss with what the best thing to do is as in the uk you're told to avoid bathing the wound as it can slow healing. I have an external V shaped wound with no stitches. Not sure if this is meant to close together and, if so, hoe? Or if the edges will heal independently leaving me with a permanent V. It's all so confusing and scarey. Bms feel like passing glass. Did anyone else find that bms got worse before they got better? Mine weren't too bad days 2 & 3, but day 4 was like acid and today (day 5) is like glass. Does it peak then start to ease? 2 weeks seems like such a long way in the distance.....

Yes every-one felt like passing glass, that's why people tell you to just do it in the sitz bath as the hot water does help with the pain. Ignore the m****s who are telling you not to bathe, the bath is your best friend. They tell you to keep it clean, sitz bath, regular bath. I spent hours in and out of the bath for days just to relieve pain and throbbing. It will heal up without the V. Heat helps, bathing helps, taking metamucil and high fiber foods help, plenty of water, at least a litre per day. I was good in two weeks, the heat and bath did not slow healing for me.

Also, when you think you are doing well, agony arrives again. Its like two steps forward and you are back to square one again. That is a normal part of the process.

Thanks. I had a bath today - first since Monday! Feel much cleaner, if nothing else :) I think that I'm lucky in the fact that I'm in very little pain between bms and only taking paracetamol (acetaminophen sp?) every 4-5 hours. Bms are like burning glass, but pain does subside afterwards. Am taking fibre supplement (fybogel) and stool softener (lactulose), Drinking lots of water, not eating loads as appetite isn't great, but what I do eat is good for fibre. Think I'm scared to do too much because of the open V wound - trying to lie with that together as much as possible. Have bought a hot water bottle to try that though - especially after bms. We go on holiday in 32 days so just hope everything has healed up by then as have a 9 hour transatlantic flight to get through. One question - how long did the glass poops last?

About two weeks before totally normal, swollen still at that point but "glass bowel movements" were not too bad. You seem to be doing everything right with regard to diet and water intake etc. i dk if your Colorectal surgeon told you this, but it takes a total of about 6 weeks for complete healing up there.
You are doing well with the painkillers by the sound of it. Some days are good others are horrific.
I dk if you are male or female, but i would invest in panty liners too the really thin ones, because you will get discharge for a few weeks too.
did you ever think yu would be discussing your butt with complete strangers, no, i guess not, but the advice i read on here was fantastic in helping me through it.
good luck to you. Do yourself a favor, throw epsom salts in that bath too, or regular salt if you can't get the latter.
you'll be fine for that flight by the way. don't worry if you get the occasional blood streaks over the next few months thats normal too. i am two years post op and have not had any problems since the surgery, best thing i ever did.

Thanks for all your advice. Got some sea salt for the bath and am female so already stocked up on panty liners :) Haven't needed them yet though. What I have had a few times is clear mucous that comes out - feels like I need a bm, but its just clear mucous. Not smelly or anything, but still burns! My actual op was a bit of a shock as I'd had the thd procedure done mid June for stage 4 prolapsed internal hems - 4 of them surrounding my entire hole. It fixed 80% of the problem but I still had a prolapsing mass, but it wasn't as hard as a hem due to the blood flow being cut off with the thd. So, I went in for a 2nd thd style op to try and permanently lift this mass. However, whilst I was under, my surgeon did a full exam, tried the lift but it wasn't holding due to too much movement in the rectal wall. So, he made the decision to cut in order to rid me of the problem once and for all. I was horrified when he told me and all I could think about was our holiday in 5 weeks which he knew nothing about! He said I'd be fine to fly so fingers crossed. Only he knows fully what's been done, but he's a very experienced and highly regarded colo-rectal surgeon which is why I went to him in the first place. I think my lack of real pain is testament to his skills. Once the glass/burning subsides and I can see the external incision starting to heal, I'll feel happier, but for 5 days post op I'm doing great compared to a lot of people who have had this type of op. Just pray its a sign of things to come :)