New Reply New Topic Followed by 15 people

I had an abortion a week ago, and for the last 2 nights I have been having extremely painful uterine contractions. I have even been to A & E and have spoken to the abortion clinics nurses and apparently this is normal. It is due to my body realising I am no longer pregnant, my hormones changing, and my uterus shrinking back to normal size. I am wondering how long this is going to last for and if anyone else has experienced this. Its hard to believe that something this painful is 'normal'.

I am having pain in my back like contractions and passing blot clots, but they aren't big. I feel like im about to go into labor. I just had one like 5 days ago!!!

I hope this post helps other women. I had a medical abortion on April 30, 2011 (Sat). First, don't take any Motrin or Ibuprofen until after you start bleeding. I took 800mg 1/2 an hour after taking the second pill as was stated in my written instructions. The cramping stopped but there was very little bleeding until Monday when I was at work! I started bleeding & clotting heavily and had to go home. I passed one very large clot as soon as I got home. I called the clinic and they said that my abortion was delayed because I had taken the Iburpofen before I started bleeding. Wish someone had told me that.

I bled pretty heavily and had miserable cramps for almost two weeks. The bleeding and cramping finally lessened on May 14. There was abdominal pain, pain in my inner thights and back. Three times cramping and bleeding woke me out of a sound sleep during the night. I did not get the impression that the after effects would be that bad from the literature and videos I received. I definitely thought that after the initial bout with bleeding and cramping all would be pretty much minimal. Not so! I was absoloutely miserable for almost two weeks - clotting, painful cramping, bleeding, extreme breast pain, bloating. I had to go home early from work two other days because I just couldn't stand it. My breasts were nore sore, but actually painful to the touch. In the mornings I could even feel it into my armpits. Keeping my bra on even when I slept helped. Twice I became so frustrated that it wasn't stopping that i burst into tears. I think that the random crying might have been hormonal; it's not my normal behavior.

I researched a lot online because I started to panic and I found a clinic from Canada that described symptoms closer to what I was experiencing than any other site I had visited. (Morgentaler Clinic). I called my clinic several times, very nervous, but was told what I was experiencing was in normal range. Staying off my feet, a heating pad on my tummy and rest helped. Definitely don't try to do anything strenuous. It's now day 14 and I still am bleeding lightly and have light cramping. My lower belly is still sore and a bit bloated, but it's tolerable.  I do not regret my decision to end my pregnancy, but I wish someone would have given me a heads up about how horrible I would feel for quite some time after. My experience was quite different and more severe than I understood it would be from the videos and literature I received. Hope this helps other ladies from panicking and give you an idea of what you may experience.

This isn't my first time around the block but it is my furthest pregnancy (11 wks) and I have not experienced such pain before until now. The painfully hard cramping is worse then cramps after childbirth. I have medication to help with the pain but when it wares off it is pain I wouldnt ask upon my worst enemy. I am only a week from aborting and I am not looking forward to the next few weeks as what I have read other females have experienced.

Thank you for your information.

its normal to have the cramps a week later. Ive had mine done 6 days ago and the past 2 nights ive woken up to severe cramps...Ive tried a heating pad but nothing really works the best i can say is grab a blanket and curl up on the couch and watch tv...Sitting is the only way the cramps dont hurt too much at least for me

i had an abortion on 10/18 4 days and today i am expiriencing the most cramping since the day of.. the day of i had extreme cramping for about 3 hours then it went away.. i started bleeding the next day very lttle for about 2-3 days then it stop now i have little spotting..but today my cramps are on a level of like 7 on a 1-10 scale no bleeding tho..from the thinkgs ive read and the doctors told me cramping should have stopped 10 mins after the abortion which wasnt true i laid dwn in the office for about 45 mins b4 i could get up and walk then when i got home i was cramping for hours.. then it eventually stopped..but ive just been wondering when the cramping end oh yea my boobs are REALLY REALLY SORE. when i got my abortion i was about 8.5 weks pregnnt

Well I had a medical abortion (was 8 weeks prego) done Wed Jan 16th. It is now Wed Jan 23rd and I have had some of the worse cramps of my life. I was perfectly fine after the first pill, then I took the other 4 in my mouth the next day. I felt super sick, with bad cramps that felt like contractions, vomiting, and diarrhea. It only lasted for about 2 hours then I was able to take some pain medications to sleep. Two days later I was fine but then the 3rd day after I wanted to die. I've been curled in a ball for hours unable to walk because the cramps are so bad. Luckily, I had enough strength to buy some Aleve and it's helped a lot along with a heating pad. It still takes a while for the medication to kick in but its better than not being able to do anything the entire day. I hope and pray this goes away soon so I can savor the little bit of liver I have left to use. For anyone that has had this same experience, 2-3 aleve definitely helps for cramps. I don't ever want anyone to go through this. I have learned my lesson and will never get another abortion. 

Opt for surgical

FYI - I did the surgical procedure 4 days ago and I am having the worst cramps of my life right now!! Either way, it sounds like this is a normal process. Sucks! I'm just wondering how long this usually last?

^ 4 days after my surgical abortion I had the worst abdominal pain as well for four hours straight. I called the physician who did the procedure and she advised 800mg ibuprofen and to get an ultrasound checkup just for precaution. I did not get the checkup since the pain was relieved about an hour after the ibuprofen, and I did not have any severe abdominal pain like that since. Just mild cramping that passes quickly.

BTW I am into the 3rd week of my recovery

I have only seen posts about horribly painful experiences so I figured I would share mine to even it out a bit.

This was my first pregnancy and for me, there was no hesitation that I would have an abortion. I found out Thursday night and made an appointment for the following day (Friday). First of all, I would recommend that if you are opting for the medical abortion, as I did, do it when you will have a couple of days off from work to rest. The doctor warned me of all of the possible symptoms, prescribed Vicodin and recommended that I take 1 Vicodin WITH 800mg of Ibuprofen prior to taking the second round of pills.

Naturally, I expected, and prepared for, the worst. Saturday was when I took the 4 pills, and I had prepared to spend the day doing absolutely nothing. I took the Vicodin and Ibuprofen the recommended 30 minutes before taking the pills. It wasn't that bad. The cramping was severe but subsided with the pain medication. I did not experience any nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, or chills; all of which is considered to be normal. The clots passed, and the bleeding was not particularly heavy. It is Monday now, and I still have a moderate amount of cramping but it just feels like a normal menstrual cycle.

It affects each woman differently, so you should not automatically expect to have the most severe symptoms just because what you're reading online is coming from women who have.

I went through Planned Parenthood for the abortion and they were wonderful! Very helpful, very informative. They make sure that you know what to expect, and what to do and they are very thorough.

The total cost of the procedure was $400 for me and Planned Parenthood "loaned" me the money to be paid back over the next 6 months so that I did not have to come up with the full amount right away. They also offer grant money to those who qualify (my household size and income meant that I did not) and they will do their best to work with whatever health insurance you have. My health insurance does not cover elective abortions so I was very happy to hear that they would work with me on payment.

Today, I feel a little crampy, but extremely relieved.

I had a surgical abortion 5 days ago today it was my first one. I went to the Buffalo Women's Clinic and the experience was nothing like i expected after reading many different stories from other women.  Everyone was very nice, my boyfriend and i were there for about 6 1/2 hours which was a looooong day. We knew right away that we would get an abortion neither one of us are ready for a baby. This was the only option for us.

My appointment was for 10am we arrived around 930 to a group of protesters (which the clinic warned us about in advance). I wouldnt say that i was happy to see the protesters, but they did help to point out where the building was others wise we would have passed it a couple times.  Luckily parking was in the back and the protesters were not allowed back there. You had to check in and show your idea before they would buzz you in the building which made me feel much better to be honest.

Once inside we waited for my name to be called to fill out paperwork and paid ($450 for the surgical abortion plus the local anesthetic). After about a half hour from my appointment time i was called back to have a sonogram to see how far along i was and where the fetus was placed within my uterus. They dont let you see the picture but the print it out and place it in your folder which is then given to a nurse. After your sonogram you are sent back out to the waiting room where they have lemon-aid and cookies to hold you over. (I would suggest bringing something to eat and something to do) 

About 45mins later i was called back for my blood work to be done, a very nice old man talked you through the whole thing. They take the blood from your finger not your arm. They test you for many different things one of which is Rh factor. If you are Rh positive you have nothing to worry about, i was Rh Negative (A-). This is nothing to worry about since i was getting an abortion, but if you are planning on having children later on this will come back into play. If you want to know more about it http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/rhfactor-2.html this can explain it better. As for the abortion it only meant that i needed to get a shot afterwords.

After the blood test I was sent back out to wait again until it was time to meet with the councilor. Maybe an hour after the blood work i was sent to the back to talk about my decisions and what would happen during, after, and for the next couple weeks. You had to sign a couple papers and were given copies. I told her that i wanted birth control and she let me know that i would get some in my "goodie bag" at the end of the day along with medication such as antibiotics, something to shrink my uterus and pain killers.

Once I was done with my counselling it turned into the waiting game. We probably waited 2 hours before i was called to the back. Once in the back I was taken to the bathroom to remove my pants and underwear and wrap a paper sheet around my hips. I could hear the nurse yelling at this one girl who had just had her abortion, she wasnt reacting very well to the medicine (that was nerve racking and i was instantly sick to my stomach with fear). It was probably another 5 mins, which felt like an hour, before the sweetest little nurse came to get me. she walked me into the room and told me step by step what was going to happen. she put the IV in my arm and told me which drugs i was getting before she put them in. The doctor came in and introduced herself she was very nice, i had to sign another paper before we could get started. I then had to put my legs up in the wonderful holders and place my butt at the very end of the table. the last thing i remember after that was the nurse telling me she was going to give me the good stuff and to take deep breaths. BAM out cold.

I came to in a room full of women waiting to sober up enough to leave. I not remember how i got there or how long i had been there for. I must have asked them the same questions 20 different times. Where am i? Can i see my boyfriend? When can i leave? are you sure you gave me my medicine? How long have i been here? They checked my blood pressure and it was too high to be given to birth control and the medicine to shrink my uterus. I was so drugged up i barely remember them telling me this, they should have told my boyfriend because i had no idea until i read the paper hours later. I then had to check my pad and get dressed, the amount of blood was overwhelming, the emotional state i was in was overwhelming. I was led out to my boyfriend where i then could not get out of there fast enough. I was so mad at the lady for taking away my birth control that i cried, and i cried for awhile. I had so many things running through my head that i didnt know what to do. so i cried until i feel asleep in the car. once i woke up i was much better, i shared the funny things i was saying in the back and he shared the text messages i sent him (which i did not remember at all!) after we got home we slept for another couple hours. 

When i woke up again i felt great! other then some small bleeding everything was fine. the next morning i went to the gym and was running..... BAD idea it felt as if someone had kicked my in the stomach and i could feel the blood running down my leg, i ran to the bathroom and cleaned myself up then went home. After that it has been never ending bleeding and my emotions were off the charts i was crying for no reason, then i would cry because i was crying, thankfully the hormones are getting back to normal!  Yesterday would be the 4th day,  i woke up to the worse cramps in the world they sent me to the bathroom puking. i spent the day either cramping so bad i had tears in my eyes or feeling as if i could hurl at any minute. Today i woke up to a cramp that i thought was the end of me. I ran to the bathroom and passed a clot the size of probably a half dollar. I puked after breakfast and have been better since, i finally have energy again and did some much needed cleaning!

I have two more days of antibiotics. I have set up an appointment with my obgyn for two weeks after. I really just want it to be over. I really hope what ive read from other people isnt the case, i dont think i could handle weeks of this. I hope my story helps someone anyone. It has certainly helped me to write about it. the only person who knows about this is my boyfriend and my best friend but neither one really wants to talk about it. I feel as if im annoying them when i share something. I feel as though i am building up a wall towards them now, which probably isnt the best thing.... Its helpful to talk about it, make sure you do. 

I just recently had an abortion, I took the pill instead of the surgical. I am honestly in the worst pain that I have ever had in my entire life. The cramping in my lower stomach is nothing I would wish on the world's worst person. I did not know that the pain would be this horrible, and the pain pills I was giving at the doctor are gone and I am now stuck taking Advils and Tylenols although they are really no help. Those pills may dull the pain but it is not gone. I had my abortion on the 6th and after leaving the clinic I was fine until I threw up in a plastic bag in my car, and from there it went downhill. After taking the second dose of abortion pills I felt the most painful cramps I have ever felt. I still feel nauseaous, but the pain is what's unbearable. Only sleep helps, but I can only make myself sleep for so long. I wish I had known about the pain before hand, I honestly might have reconsidered my decision.

I agree with u 100%