New Reply New Topic Followed by 51 people

My wife and I have been trying to concieve for the last two years, she has Polycystic Ovaries, has been taking Metaformin and has had regular periods for over 18 months. She has been near enough on time every month on the odd occasion she may have been over by a few days or up to a week, but still regular for 18 months.

She is now 3-4 weeks later for a period and is showing symptoms of being pregnant, she does realise that these symptoms can be due to other factors. However she performed a pregnancy test this morning and it was negative.

Is it possible that Polycystic Ovaries can cause of contribute to a negative home pregnancy test in any way?

PCOS doesn't interfere with pregnancy tests. However, women with PCOS have a much higher rate of first trimester miscarriage, making it possible that by the time you test, it comes out negative. (This is generally followed by a period arriving within about a week.) Or, in women who test more frequently, they will have a faint positive, which is negative when they try to verify it days later, again followed by a late period which is actually miscarriage.

The good news, according to my doctor, is that after the second trimester the rate of miscarriage in women with PCOS is the same as for everybody else. And, of course, Metformin is supposed to lower the risk of first trimester miscarriage in women who have PCOS to nearly that of other women. Though, I understand that this rate is quite high for everybody.

Did she get pregnant? I have been trying for 3 yrs and have had one miscarriage (one too many). I am also on Metformin and have regular cycles now. Strangely, I am a month late, 4 negative tests, and they have not put in on prometrium. I was just wondering if there were any success stories to share.

YES! A SUCCESS STORY! I've been on metformin as well. I have had a couple miscarriages and my doctor told me to get a blood test as SOON as I missed a day after my period. So I took a pregnancy test-negative. Then I took another-negative after 4-5 days late. I decided to trust my doctor and got a blood test. Sure enough, 25 hcg! I'M PREGNANT!!!! Now the trick is keeping the baby. The doctor has high hopes though because I will get a progesterone shot which should form the placenta and help me keep the baby. I'm very nervous and excited at the same time. According to my doctor, negative pregnancy tests ARE common for PCOS patients. What's interesting is because miscarriage already begins before the test becomes valid. So I would suggest to get a blood test if you feel you are pregnant EVEN if you haven't started your period yet. There is a chance you are and can get help to keep the baby before you miscarriage. May God bless you all. I'm praying this time we will have caught it soon enough to keep it.

I hear so much that PCOS won't interfere with a pregnancy test. This is NOT true. I have PCOS, and have had false negative HPTs with every one on my 9 pregnancies. The doctors have told me that it was the PCOS that was causing the false negatives. Most every time I have found out I was pregnant was through a physical exam, or ultrasound. I have even produced false negatives with a blood test. Yes, I know this is typically unheard of, but it has happened.

With my 7th pregnancy I did not have a positive pregnancy test until I was 23 weeks along. At 22 weeks I was in the middle of an ultrasound, the doctor was holding the negative test in his hand, and watching my son on the screen. Of 9 pregnancies the earliest I had a positive urine test was at about 9weeks, and that was when I was pregnant with twins.

The best suggestion I can give for any woman with PCOS who thinks they may be pregnant even with a negative HPT is to go to the doctor.

"PCOS doesn't interfere with pregnancy tests. However, women with PCOS have a much higher rate of first trimester miscarriage, making it possible that by the time you test, it comes out negative."

I'm sorry, but I am growing tired of uninformed people giving advice about anything having to do with PCOS.

When any woman is wondering if she is pregnant it can be daunting and very stressful. When a woman with PCOS who has likely been told either that she may have problems conceiving or won't be able to conceive at all is wondering if she is pregnant it can be even harder. For anyone to say it is not possible to get a false negative or anything else 100% concrete is irresponsible.

My own mother was told she could not ever have children due to her PCOS. She got negative pregnancy tests as well as a negative blood test up until she was 6 weeks pregnant with me.

As another poster mentioned - saying that PCOS cannot interfere with a hpt OR a blood test is untrue. Please refrain from trying to be a know-it-all when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Yes PCOS can have evrything to do with the false negative because in PCOS your horomone levels are not balanced. I was 4 months pregnant and still getting negatives on a HPT. So yes it is absolutly possible.

Thank you so much for this post!My husband I have been ttc for a year I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and this past cycle I have been having weird symptoms that have presented as the typical pregnancy symptoms. I have now taken many HPTs and they have all been negative. If I am pregnant I would be about 6 weeks, I have been unsure about calling the Drs, didnt want to sound foolish...but now I def will, all these other posts had me doubting myself...I know that it could possibly be just my mind but I am going to get this checked out...

I've been diagnosed with PCOS 9 years ago. I've been on various medications pills, provera and progesterone cream. My husband and I have been trying to for a baby this year. My cycle is usually every 14 days like a clock (that's PCOS!!!). However, it's been all over the show in the last few months. Couple of times it was 5 days late. However, lately it completely disappeared and I haven't had it for at least 6 weeks. Not even a sign of it. I did few home pregnancy tests and they are all negative. I did a blood test this week, which also came back negative. It's so nerve breaking. Not sure, if I want to go and ask for a scan maybe. Or maybe I should wait another few weeks and see what happens. But that's still very nerve breaking.

hi a few years ago my doctor told me i may have pcos, but i was never tested or anything just put on the pill to regualte my period, i got off the pill about 3 years ago and my period has been normal ever since, i have been having unprotected sex for about 6 mos maybe 7, i had spotting, for a few days, but brown and sometimes pink, i get sharp pains in my sides and at times nausiated, i took a test and it said negative, last month my period was late and so light it didnt look like it came at all it also looked like spotting, i went to the doctors got a urine test and it came out negative, any suggestions?

Guest wrote:

I have PCOS, and I feel as if I am pregnant I have done several pregnancy test and they were all negative and I have been to the doctor and the doctor said that I wasn't pregnant. Do you think that the test are coming out negative because of the high levels of male hormones? I have gained 10lbs in two months. I feel pregnant and sometimes I even think I feel a baby moving. I have dreams about taking pregnancy test and they are positive. I hope that this is not a mental pregnancy. My breast have grown my belly looks bigger. What else can I do to make sure that I am really pregnant or not.

Anonymous wrote:

Hey, i don't know about anyone else, but i've been disagnosed with PCOS for 2 years now, and that's pretty much the norm for me during a lot of my cycles. I haven't had anything besides spotting that comes at irregular intervals (between 14 and 49 days) for the past 3 or 4 months, and usually when this happens i also get sharp pains in my side. However, everyone's body is different. Maybe this is PCOS, maybe it's something else or maybe you're pregnant. Consult your doctor, they'll know what to do, either way, if you have PCOS you should push for an ultrasound anyway to look for cysts on the ovaries. Misdiagnosis is possible, you might not have PCOS at all (not saying that the cysts are an essential part of the diagnosis. It just paints a clearer picture) Sorry if it wasn't too helpful, but just push for an ultrasound to check for cysts and pregnancy

Hi, I'm 17. And have a history of PCOS in my family and have been diagnosed with PCOS since I was about 14. (I show alot of the typical symptoms of PCOS) I had recently been taking a high dosage of Metformin but went off it because it was making me sick and then I had unprotected sex nearly six weeks ago. Two days ago I had a bloodtest at my doctors to see if I'm pregnant because I've been getting nausea, mostly in the morning. The results came back negative. But yesterday morning I threw up. My mum just thinks I may have had a tummybug but I'm thinking that maybe the PCOS has effected the bloodtest in some way.

hi, im 26 yo and am currently 29 weeks pregnant. I had 3 preg tests which all showed neg also a blood was taken. also showed neg. but i had every symptom known 2 pregnancy. my gyno tried 2 put me on treatment for a abnormal gland in my brain . my partner believed, well if u ask him he knew, i was. i was waiting 4 my peroid 2 come before starting meds. i was around 7-8 weeks before any test showed positive. i was diagnosed with pcos at 14 and was told my chances of children were slim 2 none. so my advice 2 any one with concerns is get second and third opinions and trust your instincts.

Hi...

This thread is the most encouraging news I've had all day. My last OBGYN told me she thinks I have PCOS and sadly we had to move away from her. She seemed to be the most competent doctor I've had!!

Anyway, I went to a new OBGYN today and took a urine test. I haven't had my period since May (got married in May, had unprotected sex) and I've been having a TON of pregnancy symptoms. I'm even getting stretch marks on my belly now! But the doc I talked to today said that since I got a neg. test then I'm not pregnant. She didn't really listen to me describing my symptoms and totally discounted the miscarriage I had a few years ago that also had neg. test results because it wasn't "confirmed." I came home today and cried. Reading this, though, has still given me hope that I'm not completely insane. If I am pregnant, I am 18 weeks along. I've been feeling movement. Thankfully she went ahead and scheduled an ultrasound next week for me. But she didn't even give me an exam or anything!! She just came in and talked to me and then told me that I'm not pregnant. I tried to suggest it a few times and she laid the smackdown like there's no way any woman could ever be pregnant without the positive tests.

I'm popping out of my bra and my belly is getting bigger. I have headaches and what feels like RLP, not to mention stretching and feeling very tight in my abdomen (both upper and lower). I also am getting vericose veins in my legs and they are aching like crazy. I've put on 10 lbs so far but I feel like I'm giant! Bloating, gassy, hungry, feeling sick to my stomach on occasion and so much more. And she just looked at me like I'm stupid.

Thoughts? Encouragement? :$