New Reply New Topic Followed by 12 people

I have had a persistent tapping sound inside my right ear for about 3 days now. I have tried almost every rememdy suggested online from using an ear wax removal kit, taking a warm bath and letting the water into my ears, using a heating pad on the side of my head, taking Sudafed & Bendryl for decongesting & drying of the sinuses as well as Advil for swelling, using a hair dryer to let the hot air dry it out, and also blowing air through my ears by holding my nose shut, drinking liquids quickly, yawning, and stretching the ear opening. Nothing is working.

I can breathe very clearly through my nose and I do not feel congested at all in my nasal area. I have recently gotten over a bad sinus infection, bladder infection & severe post nasal drip episode that caused a severe constriction in my throat & glands. I was on 3 rounds of antibiotics and now 2 months later... finally almost 100% well... this darn tapping noise has developed.

My ear does not feel blocked nor do I hear any whoosing or have any dizziness or pain. It is just this "MORSE CODE" type tapping going on inside mostly when I am sitting, resting and of course lying down. If I am active and moving either it goes away or I just don't notice it as much, but it always returns as soon as I sit & rest.

My Doctor tells me to stay on the Sudafed & Antihistamine, but honestly I have been on these meds for so long due to the previous ailments, I feel they are not working.

It's very difficult to get any rest as it constantly wakes me out of a sound sleep and its difficult to get back to sleep.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!! I need better advice or is it simply time to go to a ENT at this point? :'( [/list]

Celebrity
There is a condition called Tinitis (not sure on the spelling of it), Its a condition where you have noises in your ears. Usally people say a ringing, but i believe it could be any constant noise. Google it an see if you can relate to it.
Let us know how you go on

Good luck

I will look more into this... Tinnitus. But I looked a bit earlier before posting and I did not seem to fit the symptoms. Thanks again for replying and I will keep everyone posted.

My morse code is still there... as long as I keep busy I don't notice it so much. But as soon as I stop to really concentrate to like read an email or watch TV, the tapping comes back.

Tomorrow I am calling my Doctor and reqeusting an exam and hearing test as I still on Sudafed and Benadryl to no avail. Nothing has alleviated it or stopped it at all. Losing lots of sleep over this too...

I have the same exact thing in my right ear and I am not sure it is Tinnitus. However, I do suffer from ringing in the ears - I had a lot of ear infections as a kid that resulted in perforated ear drums and my hearing is pretty much shot anyway..

A while back I took some over the counter supplements for ringing in ears - I bought it at Walgreens, and it seemed to really help quiet the ringing so i am going to try that tonight to see if this thing will stop.

Drives me insane! have never had it before.

deedles916 wrote:

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!! I need better advice or is it simply time to go to a ENT at this point? :cry: [/list]

OH MY GOSH!! That is the same thing that I have going on with my ears too. That's why I am up now so early in the AM. I can't sleep with this going on. I haven't been bothered with it up until now though. Mine has gradually started. I was also on 3 rounds of antibiotics due to bronchitis and walking pneumonia. I really hadn't heard of this before and thought that I would search the net for something that might help. Mine happens in the same way as yours. If i'm busy, it's less noticeable, but it seems like when I'm ready to relax, something happens and there goes that annoying tapping sound. I wish you luck in finding out what is causing this. I have found a websites that talks about this issue. The website makes it sound like a nerve thing though. It does say that tinnitus won't drive a person crazy....yeah right lol. I plan on calling an ENT to see if I can find out something more. Good luck

***

**edited by moderator** **web addresses are not allowed**

Dear Deedles916.

I have just started getting the exact same thing. Its been 3 or 4 days now. For me it starts late afternoon/early evening. It's very weird and scary. Did you find out what it is? I'm worried it'll get worse or I'll have it forever.

For quite a while now it's been a weak ear and if I get stressed it pops and then it sounds like I'm talking through my ear and the only way I can fix it is to hold my nose and swallow, but this goes on for an hour or so until it finally settles.

I hope it has got better for you!

Kind regards.

Flower747

Has anyone figured this out? I too also have morse code sounding tapping in my Right ear. I haven't been on any antibiotics in a long time, but have been taking advil due to some sinus headaches. I don't feel there is any hearing loss and no ringing in ears. Just the morse code sounds when I am sitting or laying down and its quiet and relaxed.

Please post if any knows what this is.
Thanks

Dear All,

I too have been suffering from persistent Morse code in my right ear since 12/2/09, I don't believe it is tinnitus and neither does my doctor. I am in the process of flushing out any earwax as my doctor seems to think the ear wax has hardened, by using olive oil. This isn't the first occasion I have had this, but I only had it for an evening in 2007 and thought nothing of it.

Once I have softened the ear wax I plan to have my ears syringed, if it still persists, I think a trip to ENT may sort it out.

Apart from this, I am fit and healthy and eat a well balanced diet. I simply don't understand why I have it.

Will keep you all updated.

A friend of mine had the same thing, but it stopped after a few days, however her hearing became muffled.
She had her ear flushed and 3 small dead spiders were washed out, so that is always a possibility!

I've been experiencing the morse code in my right ear for about 3 months.
It's loudest at night when I'm trying to sleep, and first thing in the morning.
Lately I'm noticing it more during working hours now, especially when talking on the phone and during the rare times it's quiet in my work area.

I don't take any medication but I travel a lot. Anyone else out there a frequent flyer? I'm just asking because I know that sometimes the descents kill my right ear. Could there be a link?

Thanks to all of you for sharing your story. I wish you all the best and I will check back often.

I have had this tapping in my left ear for over 3 months...i went to the doctors and the said 5 days of 3 times a day sudafed but it hasn't done anything really...i had put ear drops in one night and i could hear is worse and by chance i put ear plugs in the affected ear, then i actually put a plug in the "good ear" and it stopped..weird...so now when i go to sleep i put a plug in the right ear even though the noise is in the left...and it stops, see if you guys have a similar experience...i'm off you the doctors again to announce my findings...maybe get the Nobel prize hey??..lol

I also have this in my left ear and have had for several months. It only usually affects me at night when trying to sleep, but occasionally during the day if it's very quiet.
It's most noticable when lying on my right side. If I lie on my left side then it is either greatly reduced in both frequency and volume, or eliminated altogether.
I don't know the cause and don't have a cure, I also haven't visited a doctor about it, but a couple of weeks ago it went completely and although it has returned to some extent it isn't as bad as it was.

I'll relate the story of what happened that night, but please be patient and remain open-minded as this may sound strange to some of you.

Let's begin with a bit of background information...

I believe in spiritualism. This 'religion' for want of a better word, tells us that we all have a soul, or rather that we all are souls who are currently living out a physical incarnations for our growth, and that we each come from a group of souls in the spirit realm which is overseen by a spirit guide.
Our guides serve the purpose of teaching us lessons during our time in the spirit realm, but also in helping us to make desicions during our physical incarnations. I'm sure there have been times in your life when you were supposed to be doing something but you got a bad feeling about it, you couldn't put your finger on why it felt wrong, you just 'knew' that you shouldn't do it. People call it intuition... spiritualists call it a nudge, this is your guide giving you a helping hand.
Guides are also able to help us with minor ailments. They would not interfere with major illnesses as these are planned before our lives as part of our learning process, but the irritating little ailments such as a tapping inner-ear are not significant enough to have any bearing on our growth as souls and as such it is perfectly fine for these to be remedied by 'divine intervention' as Christians would refer to it.

So, to get back on track, there was one particular night when my tapping inner-ear problem was really bad, probably the worst it had been since it began, there was no way I was going to get any sleep that night and lying on my left side was not helping.
I thought "I could really use some help with this, perhaps a visit to a hands-on healer might work", I know there are forces greater than we truly understand, for example, mediums who can communicate with the souls in the spiritual realm, so why not a medium through which healing powers can be delivered?
Almost immediately I heard a resonant humming sound inside my left ear, right at the point where the tapping sound was taking place. This wasn't an external sound that I was hearing, it was inside my ear!
After several seconds the humming sound began to taper off. I mentally asked for it to return as it at least masked the awful tapping and it actually felt quite pleasant too, I mean the humming sound was tangible, I didn't just hear it but also felt it.
The humming returned and once again tapered off after twenty or so seconds.
I thought I was being a little cheeky to request for more but I did anyway, and thought "Please, just one more burst, it's really helping".
The humming returned again but far louder than previously and this time it took on pulsating tone, a loud resonant pulsating hum, which after a few seconds suddenly stopped. I took this sudden cut-off to mean that I'd had my lot, so I didn't ask for more and mentally thanked the assisting soul.
The tapping had gone, it remained gone for a couple of weeks and even now is not as bad as it was before.

This true story may not help any of you, but it's food for thought, and maybe just a little bit of faith is all any of us really need.

YAY...the sudafed did the trick....i took 3 tablets every day for 8 days...during it i felt a lot more of the popping feeling when you yawn...now i must admit i pop my ears a lot more but the tapping has cleared up..hope this helps someone

Hi i am a twentyeight year old male suffering simalar symptoms. i was given some oral steroids for it and imediatly i felt relief from it they still crackel but only when i swallow or move my jaw. I am going to have surgery on my deviated septum and have my tonsils and adnoids removed. Also my maxollary sinuses are filled with fluid. The ent said this would relief pressure on my eustation tubes, thus letting the fluid flow through. It was so bad in my case i would get very dizzy. Just letting you know that you are not alone a lot of people suffer from this. Its from getting infections in your sinus with leads to ear infections. then when your better there is still fluid that sits their. And if you pop your ears or go on a plane pretty much any altitude change will make the fluid come down again thus popping and clicking crackeling whatever you want to call it. I am hoping for relief after the surgery. Also it can back up so much it goes into your inner ear and cause ringing dizziness and pain. Just keep going back to your doctor or ent. they are their to help and evenually they will get it right. i was perfectly normal till up untill i got my first sinus infection.

CaroleL. wrote:

Let us know how you go on

Good luck

I have a noise in my left ear that sounds like my heart beat, and its driving me crazy....Its an all day thing, not just when I go to sleep, and to mention sleeping is out of the question...I thought it was from getting hit in my ear, with a fist...it also oozes fluids out of the ear, can anyone tell me what this is, am scared.....and need an answer...