New Reply New Topic Followed by 11 people

I suffered a mild concussion to the left side of my head a month ago. I recently developed the tapping you described, also in my right ear. (Just 3-4 days ago). I thought it might have been from my head injury but when you mentioned taking Sudafed and benadryl, it made me remember that I had just started taking Zyrtec D for my seasonal allergies about 6 ago. Now I am wondering if the decongestants are the cause? I don't want to suffer with a stuffy nose for the next month but, niether do I want this tapping to continue. I have taken Zyrtec D before (every spring and fall for many years) and have never had this problem. I am also concerned about ototoxicity. Could the decongestant actually be damaging my ears?
Have you found out anything new?

It's called middle ear myoclonus

I suffered for years with it It's related to eustachin tube dysfunction.
The only thing that helps is using 2 nasal sprays twice a day: flonase and azelastine, 2 puffs 2x a day. Keep yoour head down when inhaling and strongly blow up thru nostrils
You have to use both. Flonase is otc azelastine needs a prescription

I'm only 13 and are having these issues, are they relevant to age?

A heartbeat sound in your ear is probably pusatile tinnitus. Also described as a whooshing sound. Google it to find out more.

Go see a doctor

Thank you for telling your story. You were exactly what I was hoping to find. I actually had thought it might be my guide speaking to me. I was actually hoping it was. But I will figure it out.

Uggh me too, 2 months now.....i am tired

I think this is normal and common. Because a lot of people seem to have it

I have the same problem but mine only happens when water is running! For years now daily. Shower, dishes, rain etc. It is so wierd and annoying. What have we figured out answer wise people? Please

Thanks for sharing your story. I now know I am not going crazy after-all. Unfortunately, I know exactly what you are talking about. This started for me about 2 months ago on the heels of a bad cold and has been with me ever since. I got hearing aids last year and the tapping/ticking noise comes in whether I have them in or when I take them out at night. I sleep with the TV on in my room and this seems to make a white noise that allows me to ignore the ticking. At least I don't hear it while sleeping. I have been trying to figure out what Doctor to make appointment with but will be trying to make that decision this week.

there's more than one type of tinnitus. The ringing sounds is the most common type, but there is pulsatile tinnitus, which fits many of the descriptions in these threads.

some of you might like to explore the use of "jala neti" which is a saline nasal rinse that when used correctly helps clear out congested sinuses, which in turn can relieve pressure from the inner ear.

Try white noise . Turn a radio to a low buzzing . There is some relief .

Hi, I have an intermittent clicking in my left ear which, like you, I am more aware of at certain times than at others. I have self diagnosed it as 'tensor tympani'. Unfortunately there's not a lot to be done unless it's so unbearable you are prepared to opt for surgery. I've found that just being able to put a label on it has helped. Good luck.