My 48 yr old husband has T2D, and has sores on his lower legs. I have caught him picking at these sores, looking at and then eating what he picks off. Much of which are not hard scabs. I am VIOLENTLY REPULSED by this!!!I come close to puking. He also bites his nails, chews the skin around his nails, picks scabs elsewhere (not sure if he eats these). We've not been married quite 2 yrs yet, and this may indeed be a deal breaker!!!! I am 48 and a pretty tough woman, this however, is completely unacceptable and makes me sick. My husband has notice the distance I've created and has questioned me and I have not addressed the issue yet.
My question? What the heck is this?
Why does he do this? OCD? Depression??
HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

Onychophagia (nail biting) and dermatillomania (skin picking and eating) are manifestations of OCD. Tell your husband that this has been causing you great duress in your relationship. Have him see a psychiatrist for treatment as soon as possible. Seek support groups for these 2 conditions online.

Hi there, I can tell you that your husband may definitely have a manifestation of OCD like hoseclamps has posted. I think it might be a good idea for you to discuss it with him because he may not even want to acknowledge he does it or he may be embarrassed. A lot of people who have OCD suffer with that shame, and I think that talking to him about it might help. Do you think you could comfortably do that?

I eat my scabs, and I am totally normal. I am a well functioning college student with no mental disorders. My boyfriend also eats his scabs. He is also not someone suffering from a mental disorder.

Relax.

I think he needs to be thinking about leaving you personally. Gross, ah yeah maybe. But for you to consider leaving him over it you must be one shallow woman.

hey silly rabbits... we all pick our noses and eat it .... scabs are a special taste treat... :} it's something about the texure...and also an inalienable evolutionary trait....

It isn't just a guy thing. I am a female with anxiety disorder and I do the same thing. I also pull out my hair!
I am in therapy (cognitive behavioral therapy) and it really helps. I can actually go in the sauna naked now
because I am no longer covered in scabs. That habit has been easier to break than the hair pulling, so it can be treated.

This is not a simple matter of relaxing because he's a man & does "gross" things. This is OCD and can potentially lead to other serious medical problems such as bowel infections or worse septic shock which is life threatening. Personally I feel that it would be hard to be intimate, such as kissing, someone who puts scabs, booger etc in there mouth. It is simply not sanitary & who would want to expose themselfs to that?

As long as he is eating at the Y frequently, let him be.

I have had this disorder since I was a child but didn't understand or know it had a name until recently. I am nearly 60. I think it is horrible too and am seeking help now to control it. I do not think it is abnormal but believe now it can be cured. I am looking into factors such as: it is linked to depression and low self esteem. These can be assisted by raising the level of serotonin (the feel good hormone). Serotonin can be raised through exercise, practising happy thoughts, diet and medication. I am just starting my own self help as of last night when I was up most of the night researching it.

Don't knock it til you try it. Scabs are absolutely DELICIOUS! I actually mix them with some tomato sauce and make a FABULOUS gumbo! The whole family LOVES it, and we actually joke about eating ourselves to death! Hey, at least we eat together as a family!

Yuck! Would you kiss this person?!

Would you kiss this person?????

Agreed. I mean yeah we can agree that this is "gross," a subjective judgement pertaining to our own societal norms, but I would never consider this to be a "deal-breaker" with someone I (presumably) already love. FOR SHAME!

You have a sick sense of humor