What are the symptoms of pleural effusion? How common it happens to be consequence of pneumonia? My brother had pneumonia 6 months ago, and it seemed that it completely healed. But 2 weeks ago, he has developed symptoms like severe cough and sharp chest pain. I’ve heard that pleural effusion may be caused by lung diseases, including pneumonia. How is it diagnosed?

Pleural effusion is diagnosed by chest x rays, thoracic CT or ultrasound. It also may be diagnosed during examination in doctor’s office, when he will listen to the sound from patient’s chest by stethoscope. I had pleural infusion caused by lung infection. It happened 4 years ago. Fortunately, it was diagnosed early and successfully treated with antibiotics. Thoracentesis also may be done if the collection of fluid is large. But first he should get the proper diagnosis.