I wanted to sign up on behalf of my man who has a lot of food allergies and myself who has poor eyesight.

The reason I'm writing in here is that I usually do the shopping for our household but I have poor eyesight and have trouble reading many food labels and have more than once forgotten my glasses on a shopping trips and without the time to go back home and collect them before shopping, have made mistakes with the products I've brought home through not being able to read, in detail, the ingredients on small labels (or even medium sized labels to be honest!)

Does anyone else here suffer from a similar problem with reading labels? I know there's this 'traffic light' system for calories and content etc. but for all the people with allergies, we shouldn't be contained to just the one section of the supermarket as there are plenty of products across the shop that are safe to eat as long as we consult the labels!

Does anyone know of any liability of the supermarkets to provide those of us who can't see well with a solution? Or failing that, is there any product you could suggest that I could carry around with me (although I often find myself in this predicament because I can't remember to take such products with me!)

Also, does anyone else suffer from this sort of problem? I can't imagine I'm the only person who has problems reading small print and when allergies are concerned this is a potentially life-threatening problem!

I'd appreciate any help/advice - or if there's enough of us we can petition the supermarkets!

couldnt you try shopping online and getting it delivered???

I could do but I feel like I shouldn't have to to be honest, it's simply a case that I have problems, not a serious issue that I should stay at home and avoid public! I know that wasn't your point bur might as well take things to extremes! Furthermore the majority of websites don't list their products and ingredients too accurately on their e-commerce pages.

I understand where you're coming from but I prefer to go and do the shopping!

I HAVE A VISION PROBLEM AS WELL BUT SOMETIMES I CAN SEE JUST FINE AND OTHER TIMES MY VISION IS BLURRED AND I CANNOT SEE THE TV CLEARLY. I WAS TOLD BY MY DOCTOR THAT CELIAC CAN CAUSE THESE PROBLEMS------opps------ caps lock was on, sorry------- anyway, what I do is keep a pair of reading glasses around in the car and when I shop I put them on...... Or if you really cant see at all try a magnifying glass....... Whats more important? reading labels what you are eating or wearing some reading glasses or using a magnifying glass while you read labels shopping. If you use the outer edge of the supermarket and stay away from canned and boxed premixed goods, cooked goods and eat fresh, you will feel better and actually BE in better health. You do not need ot read the label of FRESH FRUITS AND VEGGIES. If we had no fresh produce, or glasses or magnifying glasses then you would have a real problem. Think about how blessed you are to have this to complain about. Be grateful things are as good as they are. this is not something that cannot be taken care of with some glasses or ask another shopper to read it for you. Many are eager to help!

Blessings to you from GOD ON HIGH!!

Guest wrote: