I feel like I owe it to everyone out there terrified about this surgery to post my experience here because mine wasn't that bad.  For background, I have had hemorrhoids for 28 years, since I was 14.  They started out as one little external thing that would go back in for months at a time.  Only once every few years would I have a thrombosed hemorrhoid that would be torture.  As I have gotten older, heavier and had 3 children they had gotten progressively worse.  I was at the point where there were several external hemorrhoids that were always out,;us internal ones.  It made hygiene more difficult, they bled frequently, and the thrombosed incidents increased to about once a year.  I would beg the doctor to lance them because they felt like a finger nail that has been smashed.  Relieving that pressure was the only thing that brought relief.  3 weeks ago I started having a horrific incident and was in misery.  I went to my PCP, he took one look and sent me that afternoon to the colorectal surgeon.  He took one look and scheduled  me for a colonoscopy Monday and surgery Friday August 17th.  Colonoscopy was a breeze for anyone who is worried.  My surgeon also asked me at the time I signed up for surgery if I wanted to pay out of pocket for a rectal pain pump.  It was $240.00 and I said yes.  If you get nothing more from my post, get this:  ONLY GO TO A SURGEON WHO OFFERS THE RECTAL PAIN PUMP AND GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!  If it cost 10 times that it would have been worth it. If you have to beg, borrow or steal the money, do it.   I had some complications with the anesthesia, but that's another story. Oh! I only had a few days to plan because the surgery came up quick, but I did some prep on my own.  3 days before I started taking 3 TBS of olive oil in the am and 3 TBS in the pm.  I mixed it in a cup of broth to make it more palatable.  You can do mineral oil, I had olive oil on hand, it's healthy and actually mixes with your food.  2 nights before surgery I took the max dose of Perdiem (a senna laxative) and Colace and had a huge blowout the day before surgery.  I took nothing the day before surgery because I didn't want to poop right away.  I also bought a cream called Calmoseptine.  It's a zinc based barrier cream.  Since being home I've also used Boudreaux's Butt Paste.  It works the same.  Then I bought the over the counter 20% benzocaine cream for boils.  The pharmacist will tell you it's not for mucous membranes and it may be too strong.  Oh well.  Incidientally, I'm no doctor and this was not what the doctor said to do.  I did all he said, but these are the things I added and they saved me.  I have tons of experience with the creams because Ive used them all.  I've used Hurricaine gel and spray (don't use the spray, it's alcohol based!!) lidocaine/hydrocortisone Rx cream, etc, and mixing the Calmoseptine and the benzo worked like a charm.  My mom is a wound care nurse and told me about them before hand.  So....

Surgery Day:  Had surgery, came home, got in the tub per my doctor, used my creams, took my 2 Percosets every 4 hours, enjoyed the pain pump, which is just a topical anesthetic and had minimal to no pain.  It was a max of 3/10 at it's worse.  More discomfort than any real pain.  I started my Metamucil and resumed by laxative and stool softener in the doctor Rx'd amount.  I also resumed the Olive Oil. 

Day 2:  I again took my Percosets every 4 hours.  I was warned by my mom to not let the pain get ahead of me and I took her advice to heart.  I did my baths regularly, used my creams and was using the laxatives, stool softeners, Metamucil and Olive Oil.  I had 2 tiny little poops in the sitz bath and thought I was home-free.  Sadly, even a great hemorrhoid story involves some pain.

Day 3:  I followed the same routine as previous days.  However, a real poop was looming.  This is the ugly part.  Make sure you are current with your pain pills, put lots of cream on and as gross as this is, have someone with you.  I took in an ice pack because that makes me feel less like passing out when I put it against me.  I can't lie.  It was horrific.  I started to black out.  God love him, my boyfriend, the guy I would not like to fart in front of had to be called in frantically, he grabbed me under the arms, and told me to put my arms around his neck.  I literally was unable to do so.  He had to lower me to the ground.  I lay in a puddle of blood, sh*t, sweat, tears, trembling on the tile floor.  However, 10 minutes later, cleaned up and in the tub it was completely tolerable again.

Days 4/ 5    Same as before, maybe slighly less pain, but not much.

Day 6:  I was able to poop like a big girl all by myself.  Yeah!  Progress.  It was painful, but survivable.  The pain pump came out that day.  I didn't feel it being removed.

Day 7:  I pooped by myself (always in the Sitz) and it wasn't that painful.

After that, it was significantly better each day.  It is now just over 2 weeks out.  I poop normally in the toilet with far less pain and blood than I had with the hemorrhoids.  I have a giant scar on my behind that has healed beautifully. 

My surgeon was not overly friendly, did not explain anything and is not a warm fuzzy guy.  However, he is a very experienced colorectal surgeon who does tons of hemorrhoidectomies and believes in aggressive pain management.  That is what you need.  Other than 3 horrific poops, I had very, very little pain.  Most of the time I had no pain at all.  I already can tell it is easier to keep my butt clean.  This surgery was so worth it.  You cannot get through this with no pain.  That is unrealistic.  However, with the right surgeon, the pain pump and being religious about making sure your poops are soft, soft, soft, you can do this so that it is bearable. 

Anyone suffering with hemorrhoids and terrified to have the surgery, have hope.  I lucked into the right surgeon.  If you have time, look around.  Get the pain pump.  Take enough stool softeners, oils, etc. to keep your poop like toothpaste.  You can do this.   If anyone is near Orlando, FL I would be happy to give you my surgeons name.  I'm also happy to answer any questions. 

Elaine, thank you so much for your post.  The only ray of sunshine I have read about and I have been reading frantically.  I am scared to death of having the surgery but I can no longer live with the pain and discomfort.

Estée, it has now been a week shy of 2 months and I am so glad I did it. Don't be afraid. It's not fun, but you can get through it. The Internet is full of the horror stories. Most people who do well and are happy that they did it don't post anything online. If you have suffered with them for a long time like I did, you will be so happy to be rid of them. For the first time in my adult life I have zero pain, zero bleeding and nothing sticking out of my behind. It's nice. Good luck.

You pooped in the bathtub? Also, was all of the blood on the tile floor from the veins being cut and stitched? Was it all over your legs? Did your boyfriend step in it?

Thank you!!! My experience so far, 6th day is more or less the same. You have made me hurt like hell with laughing about day 3!!! Hope you all better now and I WILL be better soon, I know it.

Hi ElaineB! Thank you so much for the story. I too suffer from large external hemmorhoids. I fortunately have not had them thrombosis in almost 2 years. However, they are unsightly and difficult to stay clean. But I stay on top of it! I live less than hour from Orlando. Please tell me your surgeons name and what you did to prepare before surgery.

Thank you!

I am better now. I forget I had it now. I hope you are doing well. We are in a club we never wanted to be in:)

I have to agree with ElaineB.  I had my surgery done on 12/21/12 and I'm so happy I did it.  There is pain and discomfort but now 15 days later, I'm in MUCH better shape.  I had three large ("plump") external hemorrhoids (My story: http://www.steadyhealth.com/Recovery_for_Hemorrhoid_Surgery_t307716.html ) and I'm managing well. 

I read all the horror stories on here... enough to make me try and cancel my surgery a number of times... but I went through with it and I'm SO happy I did.

If anyone wants any help or needs any suggestions or even moral support, message me.  I went relatively pain free for the most part.

I used a lot of ice packs, took my meds as suggested, and gobbled stool softeners to keep things flowing. 

You got this.  Less people come on here to talk about their good experiences than those that talk about their bad ones.  I was determined to message on here as much as possible to let people know that my experience was MUCH easier than I had read.

I hope this helps!

kevin

Hello! I would like the name of your surgeon please. I am in orlando also. Thanks

I have also had a more positive experience than majority on these forums. I live in Canada, so not sure how health care varies country to country. But I have to say the care I got was 2nd to none. I had the procedure done early morning, with a spinal. When I "thawed" out, I was given morphine every 4 hours to get me through the first 24 hours as well as Colase. The nurses I had checked on me continuously about my urine flow, how I was feeling, if I needed ice or heat, and so on. The next morning, I was sent home with teva-ketorolac which is an amazing drug: anti-inflammatory and pain reliever all in one. I was actually doing pretty well for the first couple of days. It's uncomfortable, but I wasn't in pain due to the wonder drug. 3 days later, I had my first BM on a sitz bath (on advice from this board). I can't get over how much that thing helps! It really is amazing. Yes, it sounds gross, but you gotta do what you gotta do. When I was getting the signs to go, I would pour hot water into the sitz bath, and sit down. I would fill up a jug with water while I was doing my duty. The second I passed the BM, I would pour it all into the toilet, refill, sit down and cleanse up. Pour that into the toilet, then I would head to the shower and use my shower head to wash up. I was worried about being bunged up by the morphine, but I wasn't at all. I take the Colase with the teva-ketorolac. The BM was really painful, but only for a couple of seconds. Today, I had 3 BM's and every time, it got easier and less painful. I have lost a couple of sutures already, but don't have any blood today at all.

It will all be worth it - some of the pain I have with the BM's was similar to what I had before the surgery, but I know it will get better every day.

please give us the doctors name I live in orlando too. thanks

I used Dr. Ruskin in Orlando.

Kevin,
I'm scheduled for next Thursday with 1 lovely external "plump" hemorrhoid, and after reading these horror stories, I'm also considering canceling. My husband said exactly what you did-most people will post about bad experiences. We have a lot of family activities coming up a week to two weeks after surgery, and hearing that you might not know when a bowel movement is coming is REALLY scary! I surely don't want to be in a situation where I have to go RIGHT NOW! I have a very high pain tolerance, and after 3 C-sections, appendectomy, gall bladder surgery and a hysterectomy, that part doesn't scare me. It's the not knowing when you have to go! ; ) For some reason, I can't find your story, because I would definitely like to hear some POSITIVE news!

i just read this post i know you posted some time ago but where would i get the pain pump i am in Canada and am suffering so bad

There needs to be more positive stories out there. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use