I'm new to this board but not new to alcohol intolerance. I've had the common symptoms for about 16 months: instant sick/ quesy feeling (instead of just normal buzz), sever dehydration, killer hangovers, vomiting etc.

I visited my Dr who did liver labs, which were normal. Also had allergy test for different ingredients- all clear- no allergies. So, it appears I fall into the catagory of having a genetic deficiency where I can no longer break down alcohol. The enzyme required is simply non- existent I am told. I have questions regarding this, which my Dr could not elaborate on like: why is this sudden and can it be cured? Seriously, "you'll have to just give up drinking alcohol" was the final diagnosis. Well, I just won't give up that easily.

We all know full well if there was a cure, people might be more prone to alcoholism but heck, all I want to do is enjoy a beer or drink here and there without ill effects. Literally. There's no harm in that.  

Anyway, I did some digging and found that as of 2010 there is a synthetic chemical called alda-1 that has shown to trigger enzyme growth that breaks down alcohol. I get limited searches on this treatment. Has anyone found anything or know anything more about this possible magic cure?

I am determined to not let this get me down for the rest of my hopefully 50 years on this earth. If we can put a man on the moon we can sure solve a simple, yet growing problem like this. Perhaps the alcohol industry (if you're listening, the medical community sure is not) could provide $$ for research into this so the rest of us can drink a little bit. Let's NOT give up people!!!

I wanted to provide some support for my previous comments. Sounds promising so if it affects one billion people, why is this not discussed more? Sorry it's a little wordy but hopefully you can get the gist of the findings.

"Alda-1 is an agonist and chemical chaperone for the common human aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 variant. Perez-Miller S, Younus H, Vanam R, Chen CH, Mochly-Rosen D, Hurley TD. Author information

• Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA.

Abstract

In approximately one billion people, a point mutation inactivates a key detoxifying enzyme, aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2). This mitochondrial enzyme metabolizes toxic biogenic and environmental aldehydes, including the endogenously produced 4-hydroxynonenal (4HNE) and the environmental pollutant acrolein, and also bioactivates nitroglycerin. ALDH2 is best known, however, for its role in ethanol metabolism. The accumulation of acetaldehyde following the consumption of even a single alcoholic beverage leads to the Asian alcohol-induced flushing syndrome in ALDH2*2 homozygotes. The ALDH2*2 allele is semidominant, and heterozygotic individuals show a similar but less severe phenotype. We recently identified a small molecule, Alda-1, that activates wild-type ALDH2 and restores near-wild-type activity to ALDH2*2. The structures of Alda-1 bound to ALDH2 and ALDH2*2 reveal how Alda-1 activates the wild-type enzyme and how it restores the activity of ALDH2*2 by acting as a structural chaperone. "

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20062057

Why not try some good aloe vera juice as I've heard a lot of good results out it.