New Reply New Topic Followed by 31 people

I"m recovering from gall bladder removal surgery; It's been a week today. I went for my follow-up yesterday but I didn't ask enough questions. The laproscopic method was used, so I have 4 small incisions. My question is concerning recovery time. My stomach feels swollen or bloated all the time, is this normal. When I try to bend over or reach for something my stomach is so big (it does not give). I know that I have not gained that much weight in a week. It is concerning me because I keep reading about speedy recovery and I don't feel that I have had a speedy recovery. This is the first day that I have been able to walk comfortable without my stomach hurting as I walk. The reason that I'm concerned is because I'm due to go back to work on Monday. At this rate I'm not going to be able to wear my clothes. My other concern is my stomach feels so big and uncomfortable that I don't feel my air goes all the way down. I have tried Tums and I have discontinued the pain medication yesterday. Should I go back to the doctor or is this just swelling due to surgery? Also if it is fluid from surgery is there anything that I can do to get rid of it. I do not want the extra fluid to turn into extra weight because it does't have a place to go. The only other issue was that I developed a rash around my neck and face, after looking up side effects of the Vicodin I feel that it was the cause. Any feed back is welcome.

OMG, your symtoms sound almost just like mine. I hope you read this as I had my gallbladder out last wednedsay and am still feeeling bloated, I feel like i just ate. How long did it last for you?

Bloating feeling lasted for about six weeks. My stomach still looks bloated though, it gained weight in that area or something is different about about it. My clothes still do not fit the same. I went from a size 11/12 to 14/15. Other than that I have not had any problems.

:-( I am now 7 days post op and still feel awful...I should have never had this surgery. I am praying that the pain, bloating, belching, nausea lessen over time. I have read horror stories.
Please is there someone out there with any positive thoughts???

I too had gall bladder surgery recently on april 9th 1 week ago. i had lost 20 lbs and went from a size 10 to a 4 or 6. So I was a little bloated and still am comparatively but not much. in fact i lost some more weight since, but have been eating lightly because i am in the habit of eating till full lately.

i hurt worse though than i thought i would they had to free away my old appendix scarring and bowels therein during surgery. i went to do a little more today (making the bed, moving a comforter0 and OUCH my side hurt. it will take at least a month to heal, and for me to start, just start working out again.

also after taking peradan thought i may have had a heart attack, but i understand this kind of indigestion can be mixed up with the SAME symptoms of heart attack, and indeed not having a gallbladder would cause one to have indigestion problems previously not experienced, i would think. the doctor told me NOT to take my 'superenzyme' pills i had purchased previously, but i think i will.

I just had my gallbladder removed this past Wednesday- (April 18th) - I was in the hospital for three days April 1-3, but they made me WAIT until Wednesday... I have been running a fever ever since- it hits 101.2- I also have a pinkish-reddish line about 8 inches long and about the width of a fingernail running down my side- I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I REALLY thought I'd be feeling better by now...but the fever is making me feel horrible and my legs ache...so that, coupled with the soreness from the surgery is not helping me. (Why did EVERYONE tell me that, if you have this done laporascopically, you are up and at 'em again within a day or two? I feel HORRIBLE!) One other thing: I did NOT have gallstones. However, the test where they inject the dye to see if your gallbladder is functioning? Mine was functioning at under 10%...

Has anyone had the 'red line' or run a fever? AND, I'm belching a lot more, and my heart is irritating me- (i.e., heartburn) - I'm not really hungry, either, which is fine with me...but I WOULD like to feel BETTER already!

THANKS for any postings.

I had my surgery a month ago as well and during the first 10 days I experienced pain and discomfort but now things are somewhat getting back to normal. You just have to say away from fatty and greasy food and drink plenty of water and WALKING at least 20 mins a day keeps the pain from increasing. I actually feel better when I walk.. Try not to stretch too much because it bothers the incisions especially around the belly button..

I just had the surgery one week ago today. I felt awful at first, but have been feeling better every day. I'm afraid though to eat the wrong foods. I lost a lot of weight being sick before the procedure and lost some more in the past week. Is the low-fat diet they put me on forever, or can I gradually eat at least something that tastes remotely good once in awhile? Worse than that, I'm afraid to accidentally bend or stretch the wrong way and do some major damage. I keep reading horror stories...Anyone out there have advice for me with a happy ending?

your will get back to normal. I can eat just about everything now.

I had my gallbladder removed 8 days ago and like everyone else here, was surprised that I didn't feel "great" two days later! I'm starting to think that there are some superhuman people out there and I'm not one of them! I was deathly sick the day of the surgery after people told me I'd be sitting up sipping on tea! And now I have constant pain in my right side and back...heartburn which I never had before the surgery, and orange urine which has me terrified that there's a stone in a bile duct! I have bloating and my abdomin is swollen too.The incisions are fine. I see the surgeon in three days so we'll see what he has to say. I was up two nights ago with what felt like a gall attack and then was sore the whole next day. My cousin was "wonderful" after the surgery, going back to work in three days! I feel wiped out! But it's good to see other people are having similar symptoms here. I did see a site that said it takes 4 weeks to recover from this kind of surgery so that made me feel alittle better. Hang in there, everyone. Maybe we're just worrying too much. Or expecting too much thanks to superhuman people!

I had my gallbladder taken out on June 1st, and let me tell you--I HAVE NEVER FELT BETTER! Everything about me is healthier. My skin is clearing up, I wake up feeling wonderful every morning (this morning I woke up slightly nauseated though, but I used the bathroom and felt much better), and I no longer live in fear of gallbladder attacks. I had the lap-choly so I only have four small incisions, and they are healing nicely. I was in the hospital for a few hours and got to go home the same day. Only had the gas pains the first two nights and they were nothing too horrible. After reading all the horror stories on this board, I', just glad I can say I'm one of the lucky ones... I hope everyone gets help!

Well it will be a week tomorrow I had my gallbladder out. I was in and out of the hospital same day. I am still sore but am healing ok. So far the eating has been good and nothing has bothered me. I am however swollen still and feel bloated. I was able to return to work yesterday- I work at a desk so it's not so bad. I actually tried capris on yesterday and walked out because nothing fit in my stomach - so I will just have to wait.

I had my gallbladder out last Thursday. Recovery is good....but as the nurses told me this is major surgery so don't beat yourself up if you're not feeling 100% in a week. It'll take time. I am suffering from heartburn.....and of course my 4 holes are bothering me _ itchy and sore. I hope I don't get the 'D' problem everyone talks about. So far ..not bad!
I think being tired is normal. I am taking afternoon naps.

Im 21 and i had my gallbladder taken out a week ago, i recovered really quickly, i was walking around the same day and came out of hospital 2 days after my op (would of been out the next day but had a bad time coming off morphine). I took a week off work to recover but found after 4 days of op i could walk instead of waddle and found housework and everyday things were do able - they took longer than normal. Im am still slightly bloated and sore but its not bad enough to stop me going to work or doing everyday things! I just wanted to reassure anyone who ia having or just had the op as not everyone has a bad time post op. thanks for listening.

Hi I had my gallbladder removed justover 2 weeks ago after months of aganising pain and visits to A&E. the gallbladder was inflamed and i had to have iv antibiotics and stop inhospital nearly 2 weeks. The surgery went well so i was told and was sent home the day after which suited me fine. i was sore but expected to be. Less than a week after i had the most terrible pain againalmost the same as the gallbladder attack. inhospital once again i had a scan which confirmed i had a small collection of blood around the site where the gallbladder was. I was treated with further antibiotics which seemed to do the trick. I still feel tender, and now i am experiancing a niggling pain near where the gallbladder should be which goes through to my back. It doesnt warrant strong pain killers however im worried this is goin to get worse. I have booked to go on holiday in 4 weeks and im terrified i shall get ill whilst there.
Does anyone else have the same problem?