I had surgery last Thursday and was in a lot of pain afterwards. Two days of extreme pain, unable to sleep until 4 in the morning and lots of cramping. On the Sunday, things started to improve; less pain, less cramping and more sleep. I have been taking plenty of fibre drinks, stool softener to keep myself smoother than smooth! It makes the first few BM so much easier! Today I called the Dr to ask him a question: I know there is a lot of swelling, bruising and healing going on, but there is a swollen "button", similar to an exterior hemorrhoid, on the outside of the anal hole. It doesn't appear to be a vein, as the hemorrhoid is, but looks like the rest of the skin in that area. However, it is really sore and sensitive. After a BM, the whole area is painful, but this "button" is extremely painful. The Dr said it was normal and would eventually go away when the swelling goes down. I am concerned because if it is not 'normal' and I have to have it corrected, then I have to go through the whole thing again. Has anyone had a similar thing? If so, did it go down and how long did it take? The pain after BM is also bad, how long before that stops?
HELP!

I had my surgery December 29th. I feel I must be a slow healer. I have read things online and people were back to work in 4 weeks. I was out 7 weeks. I still have soreness with a bowel movement. I have drainage on a regular basis and occasional bleeding. My doctor says a bad I mine were this is normal. I just hope it gets better soon. I mean it is better than a month ago but it still hurts and I do not fell normal yet. I have skin tags that are still hanging and when I strain they hurt. I tough it out and go on but I wish I knew if this was as normal as my doctor says.

Was that for hemorrhoidectomy?

Yes, I am allergic to latex so I was not a candidate for banding. I had two surgeries at once. A rectocele, that healed with no problems (if I had it alone I would have been back to work in a week to 10 days,
The doctor from the rectocele said they were the worse hemorrhoids he had ever seen. The surgeon for the hemorrhoids, has told me at each visit since surgery that I just to not realize how severe mine were. I just am not sure if I am the only one with the recovery time being this long.