I am 50 years old. I am 2 1/2 months into recovery from a triple internal hemorrhoidectomy on 10/31(emergency surgery). I could not sit down and I had constant anal leakage before surgery. I was miserable. Now I am still experiencing considerable pain with every BM. Blood is minimal. I find that the anal opening is very swollen. Advil helps with the pain but I have to take it round the clock and am worried about side effects- ulcers, etc. the good thing is that I do not have anal leakage anymore.
I spoke with the surgeon and he said that I might have to go back in for surgery to clean up some scar tissue. Has any one had this done? I am very scared. The initial recovery was so excruciating ( I have delivered 2 babies one with a spinal, one natural and the post hemorrhoid surgery pain was 100 times worse) I don't think I could handle another round.
I am taking 300mg colace plus 6 teaspoons benefiber plus 30 grams of dietary fiber every day. Will it ever get better?
Any advice would be appreciated.

I have not had the surgery...yet.....and I am so scared because most of the stories here sound like yours..Did you have a rectal surgeon? Maybe you should see another doctor for a second opinion also what type of surgery did you have and is the pain only when having a bowel movement constant...benefiber is not as good as metamucil....believe me I have tried it all

Guest wrote:

I had a colo rectal surgeon and the internal hemorrhoids were removed traditionally ( surgically with cauterization and with no stitches... )I am for sure going to have a second opinion.thanks for the advice on the metamucil, I will give it a try. I am currently trying prune juice too, plus lots and lots of water. I have pain during and usually 2-3 hours after bowel movements. If I have a bowel movement before bed then I need a sleep aid to get to sleep as the pain is quite uncomfortable. Normally during the day I can handle the pain as I go about the daily work activity. I just want to have my life back and not think about BM's all day.

I forgot to mention that eating 5 prunes at night really help. Make sure you drink plenty of water with the Metamucil.

I am sorry you are having a rough time....I am still debating about surgery. I don't have a lot of pain, just some burning during the day that is relieved by cold water. My life does revolve around my hems...looking for soft chairs etc... I am just wondering if it is worth it. I mean if I am going to suffer either way why go through the extra pain. :$ 1

Good luck

Guest wrote:

I am sorry you are having a rough time....I am still debating about surgery. I don't have a lot of pain, just some burning during the day that is relieved by cold water. My life does revolve around my hems...looking for soft chairs etc... I am just wondering if it is worth it. I mean if I am going to suffer either way why go through the extra pain. :oops: 1

Good luck

I have the metamucil capsules- taking 5 a day with 2 glasses of water. Is the metamucil powder more effective? I just hate the thick stuff that it becomes when added to water.
I had to have the surgery as my quality of life was horrible. Life really is better now after surgery. Best advice is to really be ready for the worst and you might end up with little to complain about. Be sure to have a sitz bath on hand, you will need it right away. I still use mine.
Also, I did not use advil in addtion to the percocet post surgery for about 6 days as the doc did not recommend it until I called him in agony. Advil was a life saver for me. I took 600mg every 8 hours.
Another complication for me was the inability to urinate after surgery so they had to catheterize me ( 3 tries and they still missed the bladder) which led to a urinary tract infection. I went home with a full bladder and eventually went in the bathtub. The anesthetic numbs you so you can't go. So if they want you to pee, just let them wait until you can, do not allow a catheter if you have a choice.
Many people that have this surgery end up with anal stenosis. Ask your surgeon about this and how to avoid it post surgery.
Hope this helps.

The powder is MUCH more effective. I like the sugar free orange; I mix a heaping, and I do mean heaping, tsp. in cold water each night. I just drink it down and I follow up with a bottle of water. At first it will give you gas but that will go away in a couple of weeks when your body gets use to it. You should feel overnight relief.

The anal stenois does concern me; I hope you do not have to have another surgery; that seems unfair. How would you have prevented it? I didn't know you could prevent it.

Guest wrote:

Thank you for your advice on the Metamucil, I think this may have been the key to it all. I don't know if it is the psyillium in the Metamucil or the volume of water that you must drink with it or both, but it has made a huge difference. So far, I just have one BM ( as opposed to several painful ones throughout the day) and it is not painful at all, just very volumunous. My fears of anal stenosis may be false. I see the surgeon next week for a follow up and I am hoping that it is the end of the whole ordeal. If it is over then the 3 months of hell that I have been through was worth it. Being hem free is really quite a relief. As to fiber therapy for the rest of my life- that's ok!!!! I have taken off a couple of pounds too with all the fiber filling up my stomach!
Thank you for your advice, I think it has really made a huge difference in my quality of life.

I had my hemorrhoidectomy 10 months ago and still have pain all the time. i had an external tag and 1 external hemorrhoid removed---and yes it was awful. I would have rather had 5 babies w/no pain meds--one right after the other. I am so bummed that I am just as much---- if not more uncomfortable---all this time after. I am afraid to go back again. I saw the surgeon numerous times after the surgery. He wanted to cut the muscle---no way was I going to do that. I just don't know where to go from here. I pray everyday for the pain to finally be gone. i have no problems with constipation though---a handful of raw almonds everyday plus a stool softener every night.

I had my hemorrhoidectomy last april 1 and i was re admitted after 10 hours of being discharged because I was bleeding (rectal bleeding). According to the doctor, at the ER, I fainted and had generalized seizure that last for few seconds and they could not appreciate my BP. They did not monitor my hemoglobin, took CBC 30 hrs after the first one that why it dropped to 6.8 from 11. They transfused 2 units PRBC. I underwent proctoscopy and ligation of bleeders and the anesthesiologist used only general anesthesia instead of spinal. When I woke up in the recovery room, the anesthesia wore off, I was crying in pain, jerking, I couldn't urinate, I had to fart but I had internal packing. As a woman, I did not wish to be catheterized but that time I was so in pain and asked the doctor to be catheterized to relieve the pressure in my suprapubic.  That was the most terrible experience I had. I couldn't tolerate the pain, my VAS score is 1000/10 it was too painful. I developed fear of moving my bowel even today. 

It is my first day out of the hospital and until now I use bed pan to move my bowel because I am afraid to do it  in the toilet because I might faint again. They just gave me DOLCET as pain reliever and it is not effective. My friends gave me OXYNORM, it has a drowsy effect but it is effective compared to what the doctor gave me. Though it has a side effect of constipation but I am also taking stool softeners. 

I'm with you. My surgery was early Feb and I'm still not better. I agree about delivery n this being worse. I have a 3rd follow up Wednesday to see if he needs to go back in. My sutures reopened and when I make a BM I'm in such irritation afterwards. Best To you.

It will get better everyone it will get better