hi there!!

its been nearly 10 weeks since my hemorrhoidectomy and i have, to varying degrees, been getting a pus/mucus like secretion. this happens all day long and i still have to wear panty liners which have to be changed sometimes 4 times a day!

i have no problems with bowel movements although they are sometimes thinner than usual. i have noticed a fleshy lump of skin that occours on the left side of my anus when i go to the toilet which narrows the opening but that can be pushed in with ease (i am pretty sure its not a hemorrhoid as i suffered with them for nearly two years and have got quite familiar with how they feel :-P)

i am just concerned about the amount of seepage i have and wondered if anyone else had suffered from this at all?

also it may be worth mentioning that on occasions i get pinching pains in that area too :-(

del

Guest wrote:

hi there!!

i have no problems with bowel movements although they are sometimes thinner than usual. i have noticed a fleshy lump of skin that occours on the left side of my anus when i go to the toilet which narrows the opening but that can be pushed in with ease (i am pretty sure its not a hemorrhoid as i suffered with them for nearly two years and have got quite familiar with how they feel :P)

also it may be worth mentioning that on occasions i get pinching pains in that area too :(

del

I had the same problem for four weeks following surgery. I used non-stick 4" x 3" gauze to manage the mess, and after four weeks the leakage is going away. I have days without leakage and on some occasions, after a nasty (watery) bowel movement, or after multiple (>3) bowel movements, I get the leakage again. But the next day everything is fine again.

I looked inside my own rectum the other day using an illuminated magnification mirror and I saw what was causing the leakage. There was considerable healing going on, a lot of scar tissue and some of the wounds were still oozing and somewhat open. The wounds resembled a skin wound where the scab was picked off.

I have come back here after my surgery in late Nov 2007... and I know the pain of most people have to go through on this surgery.

I hope each day is getting better for you Del.

First, the pus/mucus are normal facts of healing in your surgical area. I had them for more than 10 weeks. Mine got better after I intensively did sitz bath.
It's said again and again over all the posting, that sitz bath promotes healing and cleans the area from additional infections.

I sat on a tub, with large granules of salt. A really warm tub, about 3 times a day. I had 4-6 gauze applied to my area after my gradual lessen decreased of mucus/pus. This helped to make the area cleaner after sitz bath.

Diet!...Yes, gradually less meat...and more vegetables on the intake.
High fibres...
Do not strain on the BM...it will come gradually. I took more water than usual. My daily BM was soft....so you should try to achieve that balance.
Fruits, fibers , vegetables...
Have some short walks.

The thinning of your BM is mostly normal.
You should not be too concern about issue leading to narrowing of anus. I read about such complication in depth...hence, it appears at a 5% chance.
The idea is to have soft stools, not watery, not hard...soft.
Your BM will most likely not be the same as you were before surgery....this is some of the post things that you must be aware of.

the pinching pains in the area is surgical muscle reflexes. It happened to me for almost 2 months, until the muscle starts to relax and comes back to normal gradually.
Same goes to the "flesh" is either a surgical healing spot that gradually resides when your pus/mucus decrease....or it could be due to a surgical skin tag.

A skin tag can irritates your anus, however, if you aren't much concern over the fact that ..it does not hurt...nor causes any problems...LEAVE it be....

Lastly...take care of your meals...and exercise little by little...walking helps most.
Best healing along the weeks ahead...Stay patience, less stress and have sitz bath....

I had surgery to remove grade four internal and external hemorrhoids and an anal fissure four weeks ago. Still hurts and burns with BM, also feels like hemorrhoids are back! some bleeding, too. should I be worried?

Hello and I am so glad to have found this site. I had both internal and external hemroids removed friday. What pain but I undersand that is normal, great and the doctor gave me some great meds that is for sure. A few questions I have, noticed once taking the sitz baths that I have developed a yeast infection ( either the medication or the baths) which is the least of my concerns right now but more importantly I have noticed that I am healing very well but I have not been able to have a bowel movement as yet ( keeping diet to green leafy vegatables, oatmeal, soups, fruits, lots of water) also noticed that there is a inflamed area around anal area that is full of puss like substance.. Is this something to be concerned about ? I notice that is where most of my discomfort is coming from when walking around ( it is larger than the roids were and when touched it leaks yellow puss like substance).. Help I am worried

T

i have found sitz baths help , i also use saline solution to clean the area, it washes away the pus, cleans and disinfects i am 4 weeks post and it is gone for the most part. after using for a few days you want to stop(feel fine) but just keep using it. i got tucks pads, emptied container and filled with eyewash(saline) works wonders on wounds. really helps after a day or so of use. just something to try.

Guest wrote:

hi there!!

del

I HAD A THIS SAME PROCEDURE ON THE 5TH OF DECEMBER OF 2011.. I HAVE THE SAME EXACT THING HAPPENING TO ME AND IT KIND OF SCARES ME. I FEEL LIKE I HAVE AN INFECTION OF SOME SORT. JUST FEEL LIKE NONE OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED ISSUES ARE NORMAL . PLEASE INFORM ME IF YOU GGE FURTHER INFORMATION THANKS! :)

Hi Del!

Were same! I am also suffering that.. it was my 2 weeks right now after my hemorrhoidectomy... it really sucks especially i am a man!!! but what i did? i put cotton balls and strap it with plaster on that area to prevent draining of pus... and searching on the net about the cure for that!! really s$#5ks!!!

Just give it a little time everything should get better good luck

yes I have had this sm problem and have no answers regarding what this means or what to do about it.

on the pus front or mucus it is heaking per my dr. my dr says normal on the puss take carmax or neosporing put it in there and then find the softest gauze and if yiou can leave it in tgere and will heal faster . i couldnt handle the gauze so just used neopsporin and csrmax and kidicaibe abd 3 and `1 weejs out akmost no paon except when bm and getting better every day.

Hi del,

I'm week 2 of my hemorroidectomy and I seem to be experiencing the same thing. I'm hoping it goes away. I really feel sorry for you going through this 10 weeks after your procedure, I hope you're feeling better
Cathy

My discharged stopped after the third week. I was able to forgo the pads and was back to my normal self at that time.

Hi everone, Its been a week of my external hemorroihds surgery and its really panic. I am socked as it started seeing lits of puses/ muces.

At ten weeks now... Has your seepage stop? When? I have mucous discharge and swelling still..and some uncontrolled flatulance,,so embarrassing Thank