I'm male, 24 and had a Hemorrhoidectomy on Friday in the UK. I had one hemorrhoid, it was thrombosed but not external, which is quite rare apparently.

I've had the procedure once before about 3 years ago, that was only under a local anaesthetic, for an external painful thrombosed hemorrhoid. To be honest, I recovered very quickly-I was feeling a lot better in only 3-5 days.

This time round the procedure was an open Hemorrhoidectomy. Therefore I'm feeling a lot worse. It's just the constant dull ache/stinging of an open wound and it just does not stop bleeding. I'm hardly profusely bleeding, but it just never stops. I was cautious of my first BM considering some of the HORRIFIC stories here, but to be entirely honest there was barely any pain at all, just a mild stinging. There's a little pain afterwards, almost solely from the open wound being stretched I presume.

I have no idea when to go back to work-mostly as I'm just not sure if it's actually causing a problem to the wound if I try and sit down normally. Or whether it will slow down healing. Any ideas about this?

I don't quite understand how they can leave an open wound in that area anyway-surely the possibility of infection in that particular area is very high due to bacteria? And as mentioned above, is it normal that there's always blood around my back passage at the moment?

Would appreciate some answers about the open wound and sitting down etc. Thanks.

sturgeon wrote:

Hi there. I just found this page today and it has already been so helpful. My doc kinda sucked and really didn't prepare me for what was to come. Hope this list helps you.

I would say that bleeding is quite normal. Maybe even for 3-5 days? Definitely do the "sitz" baths. Try 3 a day, 10 minutes each, warm water.

Embarrassing as it might be buy, a pantyliner in your underpants is helpful for collecting leaks. Also, cotton medical gauze pads folded and gently placed in your crack collects leaks.

Keep the area clean and dry as possible. Try Qtips (cotton buds) and hydrogen peroxide to GENTLY clean the area. This will kill the bacteria that gets on the wound.

Try not to sit too much. This is VERY important! Lie on your stomach or side as much as possible. Stand if necessary.

Short slow walks help too.

Do not exert yourself by lifting heavy things.

Take the pain meds. Do not go to work if you don't have to. Give yourself sometime to heal. These procedures are a lot more invasive in your life than the docs make it seem. I would say Wednesday at the earliest.

Make sure you are taking a stool softener and hydrating constantly. Even if you don't think you need a stool softener, TRUST ME, you will in the coming days.

Do NOT hesistate to contact your doctor if you have more pain.

caligirlhealth wrote:

sturgeon wrote:

Short slow walks help too.

Thanks very much for your response. I've followed most of the above tips and I very much enjoyed buying panty liners today (not!!).

I was wondering if I should be tending to the open wound or not-I have bought quite a bit of antiseptic and have been putting in my sitz baths. I do find that these baths leave me quite dry afterwards which hurts-I do have this 'anoheal' cream which hydrates a bit but maybe I could buy aqueous cream or something.

Can I ask why you say not to sit too much? I know that it might seem obvious that this hurts the most, but will it affect the healing/problem particularly? If I go back to work I'll be sitting 8 hours a day! I am able to sit at the moment, usually with a leg crossed underneath my backside to take the weight off a little.

The main reason it's hard to consider going back to work is that I can hardly go for a bath after having a BM! Nor can I clean up properly with moistened wipes etc. I'd imagine a BM would be a nightmare, you can never clean up properly anyway without moistened wipes in my opinion and I'd worry about any 'mess' being left behind leaving me with an infection or something. This is still why I find it very odd that it's so common to leave an open wound after this surgery, in fact I've read that it's the only place they'd actually leave an open wound due to the strong vascular network. Isn't this just asking for trouble when it's such an unclean area or am I misunderstanding?

I to jsut had the surgery 19 days ago and I went through some of your same problems. THe bleeding it quite normal what i did because I made up my mind I was not going to put panty liners in my underware. What I did that worked for me is I took a sitz bath every hour to keep the wound clean. I didn't wear underware just pj bottoms I had to change them 2 to 3 time a day due to bleeding but after about three days it got alot better. I would suggest do not go back to work for at least 10 days and not then if the bleeding is still bad. try not to sit much it puts pressure on teh wound and can cause bleeding and soreness. lay down or get a douhnut pillow to sit on. also lay on the heating paid if you have one and use ice this all promotes healing. I am almost completly healed and have had very little pain throughout my surgery so all this must make a difference. good luck if you have any questions ask away I'll try to help.

sturgeon wrote:

caligirlhealth wrote:

sturgeon wrote:

Short slow walks help too.

Do NOT put anything in the bath. From what I was told, just clean water, and when showering, a little soap can run over your backside, but do NOT intentionally put soap there.

And NO creams. Absolutely not. I did this too, by mistake and my doc said it actually reverses the healing. Clean and dry, stay clean and dry.

I sat the first 4 days thinking I was doing a great job of healing.....until I talked to my doc, and only then did she tell me to lie on my stomach or side as much as possible. It just takes all the pressure off the bum therefor making it much easier and faster to heal.

I, too have been wondering about the bacteria crossover sooo close to the wound, but all you can do it your best. Sitz baths, lukewarm water on toilet paper to gently wipe and a little hydrogen peroxide to clean up the wound.

Again, if you can avoid work DO IT! I have a few days off which are heavenly so that I may tend to my situation.

Any way you slice it, it's an effing embarrassing unsexy gross nightmare. Laying around naked on your stomach so your throbbing bumhole heals, sucks. But I guess that's what the painkillers are for.

caligirlhealth wrote:

sturgeon wrote:

caligirlhealth wrote:

sturgeon wrote:

Short slow walks help too.

Thanks for all the good advice. Caligirlhealth, how long did it take until you could sit down normally?

My boss is very understanding and there may be a facility to work from home. However, I don't want it playing on my mind that if I 'dare' go back to work and therefore sit down for hours a day that I am not healing. At what point did you feel you could sit? I can't take much more than a week off work and I had the op 3 days ago.

I mean I suppose I am lucky as I genuinely have not had bad pain from BM's nor am I writhing around. But the open wound is definitely constantly stinging and I am concious of it. I didn't realise sitting down actually is a problem, besides it being uncomfortable....

I am quite concerned about one aspect though.

Having looked at the wounds, it's quite obvious where the open wound is. However, it seems that most of the pain is not actually coming from there. What looks like an external thrombosed hemorrhoid is causing the pain and that's really worrying. The site of the open wound doesn't seem to be where the original hemorrhoid actually was. The hard, dark green/engorged vein does seem to be really hurting though. What on earth is going on? Surely he would have extracted it properly??

I hope that you have contacted your doc to ask for advice. I am afraid I am not a doctor, and am only speaking from experience. I am currently having my own drama. My stitches fell out early and the skin never fused together! I am kinda freaking over here!

But I will say in response to the wound is that the whole area will be painful, bruised, tender and sore for up to 3 weeks, from what I am told. Hope this helps!

Thanks! I wouldn't worry about your open wound. Most of these procedures are actually left as open wounds. It helps the healing and reduces infection rates apparently. Appreciate it's alarming though, it's how I felt when I saw the 'hole' left in me!! I have contacted the surgeon and seeing him tomorrow. He seemed a bit puzzled. He said the original thrombosed hemorrhoid was removed. As explained above, this is a very tender lump and looks and feels very much like a thrombosed external hemorrhoid I had a few years ago. The weird thing is he said nothing else was there at the time of surgery but I spotted it when I got home a few hours later! It is so odd as it can't be a tender swollen area where he extracted the thrombosis from, as he said that's where the open wound is. This is right next to it. Surely he didn't leave me susceptible to another thrombosis forming the second the old one was taken out! Either way im pretty depressed and will see what he says tomorrow. If it's another hemorrhoid I just don't get how they keep coming. Plus my recovery will start over plus I can't face another op!!

Can I use a antiseptic to wash in after a haemorrhoidectomy