Hi everyone, I have chosen to write my experience because this site amongst others on the net helped me cope with what I went through and gave me further knowledge. But for me I had the surgery done in Buenos Aires, Argentina so maybe i can give you some further advice that maybe helpful as well.
I had a Hemorrhoidectomy where the procedure was done with a (knife) Scalpel I got 3 stiches which after 8 to 15 days fall off on they're own. My first one fell off on day 7

Going into surgery I got spinal anesthesia from the hips down but they also gave me a sedative which made me pass out and wake up right after surgery so I didn't see or feel a thing. I was still on drugs after surgery so going home was not painful at all. They sent me home like 2 hours after my surgery so the anesthesia could ware off a bit.
When I got home the day before surgery I had made myself a pureed soup of carrots, squash, sweet potato and potato so it was pretty much liquified and I made enough to have for the next few days after surgery. So I had that as my dinner and went to bed. no BM yet

The next day I was ok. (Tip) one of the things that my doctor told me to do is take sitz baths with Mallow included in them 3 times a day for 10 to 15 minutes. ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed Mallow is a plant. I would buy it dried (loose like a natural tea) and throw in a good handful of the herb in boiling water let it boil for a few minutes and then strain it. I would then add that water to a round tub in my bathtub add cold water to warm it up and sit in it and it was heaven! That helped alot Mallow is known to calm and heal and bring down inflammation. It's a good safe herb.

That same day in the late afternoon I started to have my first bowel movement. What can I say it was very very very painful.
(Tips) try to before surgery eat things that will make you have soft stool and try to have a BM before surgery.
I did not have a BM before surgery so I was backed up and had to go more often after my surgery and it was very painful and exhausting. Being constipated does not help either it can be more painful.
YES the first few BM's hurts, YES it's very painful (lucky to those of you who had it less painful)
I had episodes where I would almost pass out from the pain, I would cry and was very frustrated and exhausted. But you MUST go to the bathroom you have to let it out if you don't it can get worse for you and you can only make worse complications for yourself. It can cause Impacted Stools where then you can't pass a BM and it needs to be removed by your doctor. Try to avoid this or any other complications it's for your own good and you will heal faster. :)
The way I got through it was in the bathtub. I would have my BM sitting in a round tub that I got and placed in the bathtub with the warm water. It calmed me a bit and was just alot easier for me and my way of dealing with the pain. Plus it also keeps the area quite clean.
The first couple of days there will be blood in your stool from that area. It's normal. If you can pass an entire BM then even better for you.
In my case I could not so I went little by little with patience in and out of the bathtub alot and of course in pain but it's the only way I could pass a BM just one step at a time. In small doses.
(Tip) After getting out of the bathtub to help dry you up in that area my doctor recommended using a hairdryer with hot or warm heat. It helps dry you in the area faster (you don't want to leave that area moist it won't heal faster like that) and it also feels good and can be calming too.

You do have to wear feminine pads I suggest the big unscented overnight ones to cover everything up. You can and may leak it just keeps you clean
First week after I would have my BM's especially in the first few days at night trying to go to sleep I would sometimes throb with pain and uncomfort but i would take a pain killer and muscle relaxant and it would calm me and help me sleep.

I was on medication which included, pain killers, muscle relaxant and anti inflammatory.
The names of the drugs were:
Dipyrone 500mg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamizole
Diclofenac 75mg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diclofenac
Dorixina Relax (Muscle Relaxant these are great!) can't find an exact site to further inform you. But the medicine in it is Clonixinato de Lisina / Ciclobenzaprina Clorhidrato

First few days were hell lot's of pain I started to not want to eat anything, I had complications with my bladder it felt like I had to go but then couldn't. The way I over came that was drinking lot's of water 2 to 3 liters a day and I would pee in the bathtub under hot water it helped me go naturally and that same day I never felt that bladder feeling again. I would go to the bathroom to pee often cause of so much liquids but your supposed to drink an abundance of water. It's good for you.
I ate very little and would often loose my appetite. If I did eat I would try to eat something that would go down smoothly and not constipate me. Like boiled kale, spinach, sweet potato, apple sauce, fiber cereal, bananas, peaches, avocados, strawberry's very little dairy, fruit smoothies.
(Tip) Fresh not cooked - Olive oil is excellent to help coat your intestine and it lubes you up for your BM's it helps. You can put it on your veggies and soups. I would mostly stick to that. Fruits and Veggies.
Nothing that can constipate or irritate you. NO coffee, NO spicy food at all, no chocolate, no breads unless it's whole wheat, no fried foods, or meats ham red meats or anything of that sort tomatoes can irritate you as well. You can eat fish it digest smoothly and it's good for you.

In this whole process of post surgery I lost 6 to 8 pounds in a period of like 1 week and 1/2.

After about 1 week and 1/2 I finally started feeling better.

On week 2 I saw my doctor I noticed I couldn't really walk to well and was bothered and still in some pain when he saw me he said I was not completely dilated and he had to dialte me with his finger yes it was painful but after he did that I started to instantly feel better. He told me i was full of feces and that I had to evacuate it all as much as I could to clean myself out and start regulating my bowel movements.
(I had no idea, I was already having regular bowel movements but apparently I was full and he was right)

Soon after he dilated me and I got home I went to the bathroom like 4 times. He put me on this mild laxative that is called Lactulon sold here in Argentina. It's exellent it taste good and it softens your stool but does not give you diarrhea you go more naturally.

I am now in week 2 and 1/2 and I am not bothered by me walking or in much pain at all. It does bother me a bit to go to the bathroom I am not 100% healed but I'm getting there. I have natural BM's and can go all at once now instead of little by little and I go to the bathroom around 2 times daily. So far so god and hopefully just getting better!! This is not a minor surgery it's a very sensitive area with alot of nerve endings. It is very painful you need alot of time and patience to heal from this.

But once you heal you will not have hemorrhoids any longer and like my doctor said you will be thankful you had it done and it can help with having further complications in the future.

(Tip) After you heal, take care of yourself, eat right, don't strain or push during your BM, get the proper exercise you need and remember what you went through post surgery respect and love your body. I learned a lot and would never want to put myself through this kind of surgery again.

If you have and or are going through this surgery, Be strong with time you will heal and I feel your pain.
I hope that this experience of mine can help others just like it has helped me.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions I would be more than glad to try and help anyone :)

Thank you for reading and may you have healthy, fast and happy healing!

Thanks for the post, I'm five days post surgery and this was nice motivation to keep the spirits up!

I am two days post surgery. The first consultant I saw surprised me when he said I needed surgery and told me I would be fine within two days! It was not until after the surgery the actual surgeon said it would be a few weeks!

I am having a hard time and my symptoms are exactly the same as yours. Thanks for these words they do mean a great deal and I don't feel so alone and helpless.

Chris UK

Hi everyone, I'm 6 days in from having a hemorrhoidectomy and thought I would share my tips on how to survive the dreaded BM. I've had Hems since I was 14 (52 now) I had three big suckers one prolapsed and thrombosed. the surgeon chopped out the two worst. so here goes:
1, have a hot water bottle ready for after, fill a 500ml mineral water bottle (the type with squeezy top) with warm water, warm enough to sooth not too hot. if you don't have a shower fill your bath with 6 inches or so of soothing warm water.(you do NOT want to be waiting for it to fill after you've had a movement!)
2, strip to undies (don't want to be hopping around getting your socks off when you're in agony and desperate to get in the shower/bath).
3. I find hovering over the toilet rather than sitting down is less straining and takes a lot of pressure off the anus. good for thighs too!
4. sluice area clean with warm water from bottle, use lots (this takes a lot of the sting out of it}
5. shuffle painfully over to shower/bath, direct soothing warm water over area with shower head, not too hot or strong jet, just keep it going until pain starts to subside.
towel legs dry but DON'T touch painful bits.
6 walk rather more normally to bedroom and dry area with soothing warm air from hair dryer, keep it moving or it can get too hot. The hairdryer soothes pain and dries the area.
7 dress and lie down with hot water bottle.
Congtatulations you have survived the BM!
Try to balance fibre and laxative, I find Stool softener/laxative bloats me and gives me painful wind so I alternate with fibrogel.

Hope this helps
H
Hope this helps

How painful were to go to the bathroom? Is it like being costipated? Im so scared Is My 2day and havent poop. Please tell me!:(

Day 3 after my removal I had 3 roids and a chronic fissure which caused a fistula to form and a reoccurring abscess..So I had a hemorrhoidectomy, fistulotomy, and rectocell repair along with them cutting and sewing my chronic fissure. I know totally wow/.. anyhow I take two stool softeners in am and 2 pm...I also drink 2 tsp of milk of mag around noon. I had my first slight bm yesterday..I am super sewn tight down there so the poo kinda came out in swiggled pieces like pencil shavings. The act of pushing is the most painful part for me not the poo passing. It took me 2 days to pee I was too swollen. I drink probably 10 cups of hot herbal tea everyday and also take ib prophen for the swelling and flexerel to stop the rectal spasms and last but not the least my percocett. I am verry bloated at the moment since I have yet to have a full bowel movement. I have been eating nothing but eggdrop soup white rice and a bite or two of regular food about 3 times a day (like macnchees,or pizza). I am verry swollen and have a rather large bump that almost looks like a rhoid down there but I am  hopeing its just swelling.... I have lots of stitches inside and out. I am prettymuch healthy besides this and hope I can heal well!!! b est of luck to all. P.S a cream called Analpram is a lifesaver too!!

Very helpful, thank you so much! I'm into my 3rd week of recovering and things are going rather slowly. I know that I should move/exercise more, get back to my yoga practice, but my three hours of trying to "go" and dealing with pre and post pain, leave me exhausted. So once agin it's midday and I'm still in my bed. I'm lucky to have a bath tub in here too!

Hi Your post is very useful and is just what i needed to put my mind at some what easier than is has been. I have surgery a week ago and as you say it was very painful afterwards. I was a day paitent so i was discharged the same day with pain killers and anitbiotics. The next day was ok because i was still under anthetic and could not really feel much but the following day was aweful, i had pain and i was so swollon i could not even pass urine. I went back to my doctors who examined me and just prescribed stronger painkillers and told me to drink plenty of water. I was in so much pain i too felt like i was going to pass out and felt very sick! The next day i phone my local hospital who told me i had to go back to the doctors, after ring my doctors i was told i needed to go back into hospital for further treatment and later that day i was then re admitted back into hospital for further problems. they kept me in the hospital nearly a week on lactose solution, painkillers and anti inflamtories before realising i had the blockage you spoke about and i had to have a flush out under anitheyic which was just aweful!! I have had the most horrific experience of my life and even now i had been sent home i still do not feel right. I have taken that many lactose sachets in hospital that now i cannot stop opening my bowels and this is making me sore and uncomfortable again. i have been drinking plenty of water and exercising but i feel heavy all the time and have the feeling of needing the loo all the time. it has been 9 days in total since the original operation and i think my stitches are healed but after having the flush out i am very sore. Does it ever get better really? i just feel really low and upset all the time and really hate feeling like this.

It depends on what u had done buddy . I had the worst case scenario. . And I was taking my pills and drinking lotsa fluids and still my second bm was like a rock ripping my ass apart. I stoped eating food and stoped taking pills. I dunno what to say other then good luck. If u lay off the pills and just eat soup u will be ok . The pops will be soft.. but too soft and its still bad. Farts turn into full out bm. So messed up . Wish u the best. Im still screwed up. I feel your pain

hi I had gone through this same surgery on 19/12/12 . I am using the rubber hot water bottle that u buy from the chemist shop after I go the Bm and keep it under my Bm area and I feel bit comfort by doing that is it safe to do that . 2. after the Bm I sit in the tub of very hot water and add 2 tbls betadine ( the liquid antiseptic medicine ) is that fine or I sould use in cold water . pls reply as I am facing the hell on earth .

I have nthin to say than just to tell u re my hero right now, this is my 4th day so far and it is just like yurs i pray by 2weeks i will be fine

These message boards were the most helpful asset in my recovery. The advice from others who experienced the same horrors as me was priceless. I am day 14 and feel great. The first 10 days were horrific. Motrin, Tylenol, and Valium worked well to manage my pain and not constipate me. Miralax once a day after my first meal kept stool soft and regular. My wound started healing remarkably fast when I began the regimine of showering nightly and lying bottomless on a towel in bed for at least 1 hour daily. Chicken breast, potatoes, canned carrots, cereal, and whole grain toast were easiest on my tummy and bowels. Hang in there, it slowly but surely does get better.

I must be extremely lucky. I had surgery two days ago and although I haven't had a bowel movement yet, I have been completely pain free aside from this morning when I forgot to take my meds in the middle of the night. I was given Tramacet and Ibuprofen. I can take 2 Tramacets but only have been taking one every 4 to 5 hours and Ibuprofen every six hours. I had huge external hemorrhoids that during surgery, the doctor said I really needed this operation.

does anyone have burning, how long does it take for it to go away

Do you mean burning after BMs or all the time? I didn't generally have any pain in between BMs and only a short stab of pain at the beginning of the BM. No burning at all but I was careful not to eat anything that would irritate my incisions.