New Reply New Topic Followed by 15 people

I had a stapled hemorrhoidectomy 3 days ago..I feel the urge to have a BM but I am unable..I end up pushing hard. I am taking stool softners. Any suggestions?

I would like to hear from those of you who are post op hemorrhoidectomy 4 mos or more and how are you doing? Do you still have constant urge to go tothe bathroom? do you have itching and burning in your rectum, etc???

Lilia wrote:

Lilia - do not push hard, or you will start creating hemorrhoid's all over again.
You need to be taking AGAROL until your bowels are moving. I had problems and was taking 20 ml of the stuff - then my bowels started working. Make sure you eating lots of fibre...etc..

tlaurianne wrote:

I'm 3 months out of the surgery.

What has happened is my stools have become large again. Thats why the recovery time is long with this surgery - your bowels return to normal and your pooh stops been wafers...

I had a week ago my worst week - I got a lot of blood dripping from by bottom in which I passed a very large stool. Yes - it was uncomfortable. I have been told that the stools return to normal faster then the muscles in your bottom do. Thus why its uncomfortable for awhile. Its only uncomfortable for the short time I have the bowel movement. The itching went after about 2 months... I did have the burning awhile back and get it on occasions. But its less and less.

Time is the key with this surgery.

I get the urge to go - I have to go. Thats the stomach returning to normal also. All these things can seem un-normal to those who have suffered for so long at the hands of hemmorhoids.

It does get better - there are some setbacks along the way...

Lilia wrote:

Take a laxative like Senoxot and drink plenty. It will happen! I felt better afterwards. Love, beth

Had surgery done 12 days ago today. Pure hell is what this.Im 33 year old male and i thought i had good pain tolerence but man was i wrong. THe constant seeping of blood and puss out my ass is incredible. THe pain trying to go unbearable. Not feeling clean 24-7 is the worst for me. Not being able to wipe good because it hurts so bad. Jumping in shower after i sh*t just to clean my bottom. Then soaking if i can if it doesnt hurt so much to sit down. Im glad i found this site because i know im not alone.The same pain and stuff im going through others have had too. Didnt sh*t till 6th day after surgery.Took fleet phosphosoda to clear out and when i did it was like someone stuck a torch up my ass while i was going. Went like 5 times and almost cried everytime.The pain not being able to pee after the surgery was horrible too. Well good luck to all

I had my surgery on the 17th of March and had a bad post op reaction to the morphine. I went home the same night feeling sick as a dog but glad did cos i got some sleep. I was amazed at how littlle they told me, I had trouble peeing my first bm stung like hell it was a few days before i had one then it was torture, even passing gas hurt and that seemed to be a delightful side effect of the operation. I found warm baths and lavender oil in them really help and warm wheat wrap( the kind you zap in the mircowave) to the painful bits. Anyway its abt 28 days now and i feel much better and i am
optomistic that it will continue they say 6 to 8 weeks for recovery so hang on in there hopefully thing s are improving for you by now. The best cure is a good book and sleep no pain when you are out of it.

I had my op a week and ahalf ago. i thought the fist time i had a bm i was gona pase out. i was told that it would be very painful. butt! i thought to myself ill be alright. thank god my wife was home or she would have found me on floor. dont kid yourself if you think you have a high tolerance 2 pain. i poped out in a sweat that i never had b4 . i was wiping my face and my wife was pealing off my soaked clothes.full of sweat faning me and wiping my back. im 41yrs old. my wife was treating like 1 of my kids. and was shurley greatful.but even through it all its only been a week andhalf. and im going back 2 work 2morow. dont get me wrong. im just 1 of the lucky 1s. and if you can be without loratabes that the doc. gave me.youll be able 2 have easyer bm. loratabes is bad 2 give u constapation. which is not good for this type of surg.if u know what imean. and 4 the person that had a bad exspeareance with the morphine... i had the same problame. when i had my last back surg. im aller. and u prbobley r 2 . i couldnt urenate and while in recovery. i would stop breathing. so 2 b on the safe side tell your doc. and if u have another surg. be sure to tell them. so good luck to all make sure to eat plentey of fruit take stool softners and milk ofmagneshia it really does wok.

Mackdaddy- were your first 4-5 bm's really hard? Mine were horrible and had 4-5 really hard bm's then the next 10 were diarrhea. (I took a bottle of magnesium citrate).

Hi. Think twice about having this op unless you have been told by your surgeon that  you really  need to have it done. I'm a 44 yr old female who was told I had grade 4 prolapsed piles & internal piles. I had 3 prolapsed, which had to be removed. This is the worst op I've ever had & I've certainly had a few. I can sympathise with anyone that has had it. I had my op almost 3 wks ago now & like many others I'm still suffering with bowl movements and really bad itching around the anus. I still get the odd blood appear. Prior to all this, I did exactly as I was told. I ate a high fibre diet, I ate plenty of fruit & veg, plenty of fruit juices & water. I took my pain relief regulary Tremadol 1000mg paracetamol & 20 ml of Lactolose. By day 5 after surgery after eating extremely well, I was in excruciating pain as I was unable to pass any stools, I was extremely constipated, which also affected my bladder. I rang for medical advice and was told to return to the hospital straight away.  On arrival  I was given morphine, 1000mg of paracetamol & an internal local aneasetic so that they were able to give me an enema. The pain was excruciating & I have a strong pain thresh hold,  even with all the pain relief, because bare in mind as well,  I had internal stitches. I was told to try & hold my stools for as long as I could. After 10 mins, I had the urge to go... Boy how painfull, but what a relief!! I was told by the doctor to carry on with 1000mg paracetamol 4 times a day, but to lay off the Tremadol as it was them that made me constipated. I'm still baffled why they prescribed them to me, knowing they cause constipation!! I was also advised to carry on with 20ml Lactolose & take 2 Senokot (laxative) at night for a week.  My pal advised me just to take 1 Senokot, boy I'm glad I did. I didnt get off the loo the next day.. To ease the pain & discomfort, throughout the post operative time,  take warm baths. I found I was bathing upto 10 times a day. I know it's cost effective but only fill your bath to cover ya butt. What i also found usefull to use in the bath as advised not to use any bubbles or soaps, was fragrence free baby wipes. Tesco own was good enough. I also used them after I urinated & passed stools,to elimate infection. Trust me they worked.you get through a few, but it's certainly worth it. After almost 3 wks I still can't sit for long periods of time & have a real itchy anus, but I now think I'm on the road to recovery. I've been off work for 3 wks, but I think that's because of the complications I had for being constipated n having to have the anema. Good luck to anyone that has this op, remember, not everyone suffers the same, but I just wanted to share my story & experience with you.  Good luck, I hope all goes well for you.     

Hi
I week since op - several hemms removed plus skin tags.

When I left hospital I was given Lactoluse as a stool sofnter. I am on 2 x 15ml doses, and I have a bowl of All Bran, a huge smoothy with 5 fruits in, and fibre rich soups. STILL HURTS LOTS to have a bowel movement. I tried stopping the codeine based pain relief the hosp also gave me since that gives you constipation but the Ibuprofen I got at the pharmacy was not strong enough and today I have got more co-dydramol.

My worry is that now although they are softer my bms are less controlled - I need to be near the loo at all times - cant think of returning to work this week in case of accidents. What experience do others have of this?

C :-(

sitgently wrote:

Hi

C :-(

absolute nightmare can not walk 10 yards without feeling the need to go for a b movement...pure agony it is now 12 days since my op and although I feel a thousand times better every day it is still very uncomfortable and painful.I It feels worse than labour pain to have a stool as big as a currant and as equally bad to pass wind. I am back and to from the loo sitting there thinking I have had a bowel movement to find the toilet empty...I think this is my muscles going into a spasm thinking maybe the swelling is a stool??? and I am hoping this cools down once the internal swelling goes down.. I dont think the dr.s appreciate the pain suffered and i am sure this operation should be banned never known pain like it...if u are going through a similar thing please post on here to let me and other people know how long this all lasts. And good luck, I feel your pain!

Hello
Can you give me your opinion? I had a bleeding internal heamaroid (off on for a year) which has stopped bleeding after and I feel fine. I have no health or lifestyle problems, no pain and I'm physically active. My specialist recommended the stapled surgery, however I am having 2nd thoughts after reading these postings. Your opinions?
Thanks

I just had the surgery on the 18th of October and must say that the first day was excruciating pain!  I also could not urinate the first day and had to go to the emergency room after ten hours of not urinating, fortunately I was able to urinate while I was in the waiting room.  The second day was definitely better as far as pain is concerned, but still at a 8 on a scale of 1-10.  Day three has set me back, as I have been constipated and passing gas hurts just as much the first day!  I have been taking metamucil and mineral oil, but no results as of yet  The spasms are the worst.  I am hoping that tomorrow is better.  I had three large internal hemorrhoids removed and I am a 33 year old male.  The first day was the worst pain I ever felt!

I have had three diff procedures done banding, stapling and now a  Hemorrhoidectomy the pain is unbelievable I am on the 7 th day now and if i never have this done again its too soon lol Im in pain all the time not only from the bm but also the constant oozing and discharging it very uncomfortable just wondering if any one out there knows how long this lasts for the oozing I mean