Hello! I will go to surgery next week. So, I am trying to find people who done kidney stone removal with surgical procedure. I am interesting for post-operative pain after kidney stone removal. I have heard that this pain is terrifying. I hope that you will tell me something more about it. Thank you in advance!

Hello! Well, I can tell you that you should not be worried about this at all. I can tell you that post-operative pain is not so strong. You will get medication after operation, so, you will barely feel it. I can tell you for sure that nothing can compare with kidney stones pains. You will feel relief after surgery, I am giving you my word!

This reply is probably too late for you. I've just had a stone surgically removed & my pain was very well controlled by the nurses with a combination of darvocet, tramadol & morphine syrup.

The worse part was the bladder spasms imediately after surgery because of the catheter, but the nurses managed to stop this with antispasmodics. The other painful part was having the drainage tube removed from the kidney in the x-ray dept., but I was given morphine on my return to the ward.

Now I'm home I just have a sore back - nothing compared to the stone pain. good luck!

I know this is an old thread, but just in case anyone else comes looking for info.

I will admit the kidney stone pain is absolutely horrible, but depending on the size of the stone(s) and the procedure to remove the stone(s), afterwards was extremely painful for me.

I had the stones blasted under general anesthesia with endoscopic surgery through the urethra. I had two stones, one 9 mm and the other 2 mm. The problem afterwards is passing the fragmented stones through your urine. That was extremely painful in itself. The first urination almost seemed impossible, but it did get easier after drinking lots and lots of water. The second problem was the 2 mm stone was lodged past the larger stone and did not pass right away. I had been discharged and gone home thinking the worst was over, but the fact was the worst was yet to come. My internal organs were already inflamed from the process, so passing the 2 mm stone was like passing a 10 mm stone, which is not possible, btw. I woke in agony two nights after the surgery and had no idea why. I ended up back in emergency on morphine. Fortunately I passed the other stone in the hospital, which ended my ordeal

So for anyone looking for information, just know that it is not always without complications and post op pain. Having gone through this myself, I swear I will do everything humanly possible to prevent them from returning, which they say is up to 40% likely within 5 years.

I just had endoscopic kidney stone lasered out a week ago. Still passing blood and clots (which are painful). When I'm not passing clots I'm good, when I'm passing 'em, I'm in agony.

A young ER doctor prescribed T3's and 4 Advil every time I was in pain, helps, albeit it still hurts somewhat.

When I'm not passing anything, I feel great. Beats the hell out of teh last 6 months; no more flu like symptoms.

John

My 17 year old daughter has a ureteroscopy stone removal/ stent replacement every 12 weeks. For some reason unknown to us and her doctors, she manufactures stones at an alarming rate. She's tried every medicine known to help prevent stones, (Uricet-K, Alliprinol, etc.) to no avail. Though she has the surgeries for comfort care, they are less painful than the pain that comes with passing the stones as they tend to be bilateral and constant. She is always admitted after surgery as she requires a catheter for blood drainage, but this is not the norm for most folks. Until this year, she had the procedure done on an outpatient basis. The bleeding lessens with time, and by then we're back to the hospital again. She MUCH prefers the stone removals to having to pass them any day.

ah, so its a bit raw when u urinate after stone removal, they give u meds to take the edge off....this too shall pass. w.r.t. the 17 y/o girl, i recently saw a kidney specilist who said there are two glands near your thyroid gland which, if they have a certain abnormality, will cause prouction of calcium oxylate stones. this can be found with simple blood test and if positive, removing those glands ends the stones. worth asking about....

Just wanted to say...has she had her calcim levels checked? She may have parathyroid issues and also have her checked for the MEN1 gene...those are what caused stones in me..not to mention other issues, ulcers, etc.

pinchmeimustbedreaming wrote:

I have had several procedures for stone removal over the past years. Lythotripsy and the last (2) times by laser.

My stones are acidic so they refuse to pass so procedures are a necessity.

Laser appears to be more desirable since I don't seem to be passing any fragments. The biggest problem this last time is the bleeding doesn't seem to want to end after 3-4 days leaving me lethargic and slightly unsteady on my feet but I'm told to be patient - this too shall pass!!

I had ureteroscopy done myself and have never been right ever since. I too bleed for a week. Was in very bad pain when i urinated for maybe five days. And had pain like i was passing a kindney stone for 6 months after the surgery. I had the surgery five years ago and still get the pain from time to time, sometimes not going away for months. I had another stone that would not pass and the docter wanted to perform the surgery agan. I would not do it. I was luckly able to pass it on my own. I understand that this does not happen to everybody but i would do every thing i humanly can to not get this surgery.It would be a last resort.

gravelly gus wrote:

I am curious about these glands near the thyroid glands that could be causing these stones. I am a extreme stone maker since 2002. I started out with a 15mm stone lodged in my ureter btwn kidney and bladder (which put me in emergency surgery to place a stent which they couldn't place through the urethra b/c the stone was so large - they ended up going direction into my back.) I had a nephrostomy catheter for 3 months because of how bad the infection was in my body. It put me on the verge of shut down, basically. Once we got through this 3 months I was ok for 2 years. Then they returned when I was 24 weeks pregnant, and all they could do was place a stent. Once the pregnancy was complete, they were able to take the catheters out - with a lot of trouble because of calcification, they were replaced. Then every 2 weeks I was in doing the lithotrypsy for about a 4 month span. Also during this span I had developed a overstuffed gall bladder -- full of stones. I mean over flowing. I was concerned why there were stones there as well. I had my gall bladder removed with lots of trouble because I had to have the edoscopy to remove the left over stones remaining in the closed off area.

But I got pregnant again right after this and had no problems during that pregnancy. I went about 8 months without anything, then the ER visits returned with lots and lots of pain. Each time I was in there I was readvised that there were anywhere btwn 3-6 stones in each kidney. All were grown to 7mm plus within weeks of finding them.

Basically I am at the crossroad again with 3 stones in each kidney, with the smallest being a 9mm on my left. I have them in both sides and am currently waiting my 10th plus surgery or procedure...this time we are doing the ureteroscopy on both.

Sorry for the long drawn out story, but I am wondering if anyone has had a combo of stone issues? With the kidneys and gall bladder? Could this have something to do with this gland mentioned near the thyroid glands? My family had a history of thyroid problems, but no where are their kidney problems or gall bladder problems.

I am beyond frustrated at this point...any suggestions?

The answer to kidney stones it NOT SURGICAL PROCEDURES. My husband had a huge one and had one surgery and they couldn't remove it plus went for a lithotripsy but instead the doc tried getting it again to no prevail. He went on the internet and found something called Uroflow or Uro Flow....He passed 2 big stones AT HOME ...he gave it to a friend that had a kidney stone and he passed his stone as well. Docs won't tell you about it...but its 100% fantastic. My husband buys bottles at a time to keep on hand. Try it :-)

Okiegal

okiegal wrote:

The answer to kidney stones it NOT SURGICAL PROCEDURES. My husband had a huge one and had one surgery and they couldn't remove it plus went for a lithotripsy but instead the doc tried getting it again to no prevail. He went on the internet and found something called Uroflow or Uro Flow....He passed 2 big stones AT HOME ...he gave it to a friend that had a kidney stone and he passed his stone as well. Docs won't tell you about it...but its 100% fantastic. My husband buys bottles at a time to keep on hand. Try it :)

Okiegal

beware.

doublebb1
Wrote:

08/22/08 - 18:02
I had ureteroscopy done myself and have never been right ever since. I too bleed for a week. Was in very bad pain when i urinated for maybe five days. And had pain like i was passing a kindney stone for 6 months after the surgery. I had the surgery five years ago and still get the pain from time to time, sometimes not going away for months.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who bleeds longer than normal. I bled for four weeks the first time. And that's without passing any fragments (unsuccessful lithotripsy--it fractured, but didn't shatter). Yesterday I went in for a second ureteroscopy, but so far no fragments passed on this one, either. Mine is 14mm, though, and the doctor said it's the hardest stone he's ever seen.

If it doesn't pass this time, we'll have to do surgery. The problem is, it's up high, near the spleen and the bottom of the lung. Does anyone know what the risks are for that type of surgery?

I had a kidney stone removed last Wednesday and then the stent removed on Monday. It is now Friday and I am still bleeding. The back pain is so terrible that I can't even begin to describe it. I haven't been able to sleep more than 4 hours at a time due to having to remedicate just for the pain to go away a little. I almost think I was better off before the surgery. It doesn't seem like I am ever going to heal. I have missed so much work and school because of this pain. I don't think the stress of trying to get back my daily life is helping at all either. How long was most of your recovery time after surgery and stent removal? Does the back pain go away or just become more spread out?