Two months ago I had a tonsillectomy, but now I'm starting to wonder... my uvula seems to be extremely low. Rather, my whole soft palate seems to be extremely low. It looks like there is less than half the space between my tongue and my soft palate as there was before I had the surgery. I tried googling this but only came up with information regarding the uvula swelling right after surgery. Does anyone know if this is normal? The soft palate/uvula are so low that I've noticed I sometimes slur when I speak now. Did my throat just heal badly? I've already tried to get into contact with my doctor, but no one has replied to me yet and probably won't until Monday...

That sounds like a strange situation indeed. I don't think it's that your throat healed but that it's still a bit swollen. It definitely doesn't sound normal so i think that you're right talking to your doctor, because it sounds like that could get to be a serious situation. I am pretty sure they'd be able to clear something like that up right away, but it's still a bit scary I'm sure. I wish you the best of luck with it! Let us know how it turns out for you!

Hey,

Yeah I had surgery on my toncils about 9 years ago and my throat healed slanted and now sometimes i can feel my Uvala touching my tounge. I dont know what to do as It costs so much to see a throat doctor but what did you end up doing??

I am in the same situation. I had a tonsillectomy 2 months ago - and I too feel that my soft palate/uvula healed too low. The opening is 1/2 what it used to be and it also seems my tongue doesn't lie flat - it is curved up at the back on the ends. I have a constant bad taste in my mouth - all food still tastes bad - and I always feel like I have a lot of mucus in the back of my throat and try to swallow - but it doesn't go away. From where my tongue touches the back opening of my throat it sometimes creates a seal - which is driving me crazy. I have a follow-up appt with my Dr. next week to see if there is anything he can do about this. It doesn't look infected to me - nothing appears red or swollen on the sides where the tonsils were - but I have a pretty constant sore throat.

I had my tonsils out 12 weeks ago and have the same problem; uvula seems low/swollen, i'm having difficulty with speech and can't speak french any more which as a linguistics student is disaster. i've heard that it can take up to 6 months for the swelling to go down but i'm still worried; i plan on asking my doctor about it asap.

Hi everyone ,just came across this ,as i also have the same problems as everyone else after having my tonsils out ,and wondering how everyone got on ? went to see the doc but he just give me antibiotics !

OMG - same problem here: I had surgery two months ago and my uvula and soft palate healed very low. It is so low, in fact, that I cannot even see the uvula when I open my mouth. I have a gagging reflex non-stop. While I have a constant bad taste in my mouth, I have no sense of taste or smell for actual things around me. The formed flab closes up against my tongue and I cannot breathe properly. My speach is affected as well and I am slurring.

Are any doctors out there reading this?

On-line I saw there were some surgeries that cut the uvula - that is awefully drastic! I hope there are some trimming procedures available.

I really hope that someone having had this problem would post how it was resolved. Did things tighten up and lift up in time? I have a doctor's appointment next week and will let you know what he suggests.

Thought i would let everyone know what was siad when i got to see the hospital again , Dr said the problem is caused by all the scar tissue ,he said he could do another op to take some of it away but it is a very risky op and it could let to more scar tissue being formed ,the next option is to have speech threapy to make the muscles stronger and work against the scar tissue ,so im now waiting to see someone about this.
Hope this helps some of you as i know the feeling we all have isnt a nice one x

anonymous wrote:

Are any doctors out there reading this?

To follow up: I just came back from the doctor. He said that it is still too early too panic or draw conclusions. Most adults having lived with tonsils all their lives need to get used to how things re-organize in their mouth. There is more healing to be had. The tissue now shrinks and then it will loosen again and I should be patient and wait until all is settled. Apparently, people get used to having the uvula sit on the tongue - wow, I can't imagine!. Speech therapy to desensitize the uvula/tongue relationship is sometimes recommended. Surgery to repair/tuck the soft palate position is very rare, he said. Taste and smell are sometimes slow to recover but he said both do return to normal eventually. He seemed very certain and I will try to be patient - I really hope he is right! I thought this surgery would be easy after the snip-snip - go figure … Good luck everyone!

I also have the same issue. I can feel my uvula touching my tongue and sometimes making a /w/ sound or a few others feels uncomfortable. I have my 4 week post-op follow up on Monday and the doctor said what some have already written on here. She said that the scar tissue needs to loosen up and that it probably will as I continue to talk and eat, etc. I am a speech therapist so having difficult/discomfort making certain sounds isn't good for business! I don't have the gagging issues others do so I'm thankful for that but it definitely is an odd feeling.

i had a tonsillectomy 3 months ago... my doctor cut my uvula and i cant speak french.. he said that i will be able to speak eventually but it doesnt seem like it and i am so worried because i plan to live in france a year from now!! i also had a weird taste all the time but it is fading away, i barely have it now. i also slurred because the mouth weakens but i did regain strength after a while. my doctor recommended inflating a ballon 5 times in the morning and 5 times at night to regain strength. 

if someone knows what i can do to speak french again pleaase tell meee!! 

I also had tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy 2 months ago and my uvula and skin around it healed very low, gagging me all the time.  I saw the Dr. monday he did this thing called radio frequency treatment, he didn't tell me much about it prior to doing it.  First of all it hurt like hell. Shots in your uvula and pallette to numb it ( didn't really numb it much) then the procedure felt like burning. Left with uvula even bigger and more swollen than before.   After reading online afterward about radio frequency treatment. It supposedly is for help with sleep apnea, so i don't know if it will shrink it or not.  I think I'll see another Ent Dr. and see what he thinks?   Somethings got to be able to shrink this thing, I'm sick of it....Looking forward to hearing if anybody out there has had any success in this problem.

I have this same issue...however, mine is only on the right side.  I had my surgery 1 month ago at the age of 34.  The soft palate is hanging down to the bottom of the uvula on the right and therefore, the uvula is not free hanging any longer.  This is making my right nostril feel plugged and also make it hard to swallow and some words come out sounding weird.  I just don't understand how the left side healed so phenomenally, but the right is still jacked up.  I am hoping that previous posters are right and that this will eventually correct itself.  It is really annoying and feeling the soft palate every time I swallow is kind of gross.

Quote:

Are any doctors out there reading this?

I just had surgery 3 days ago. My tonsils,adnoids,and part of the uvela removed. The pain is nearly too much. The uvela is so swollen. The reason I am posting is because everyones talking about there uvela's. I would give it 6 months or so to heal!! I don't recommend getting it clipped!! Worse thing I've ever been through,and I have 2 kids!!

Quote:

Are any doctors out there reading this?

yes why don't the drs or hosp tell u that the uvula will swell and what to do if it does . my grandson had that happen hours after their removal and he almost chocked. it was a good thin g i was there as my daughter just about panicked.